PDA

View Full Version : How to modify coilovers to fit

Jase
07-25-2003, 01:40 PM
i have searched the forum about coilovers abd all i can find is you need to cut the perch on the strut housing and weld on a ring that comes with the coilover. Does anyone have some more specific instructions or pics?. I am going to pay a shop to do it. but they need to know what they are going to attempt.I know that is what randys set up was.
thanks
Jase

AndreNY
07-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Jase
i have searched the forum about coilovers abd all i can find is you need to cut the perch on the strut housing and weld on a ring that comes with the coilover. Does anyone have some more specific instructions or pics?. I am going to pay a shop to do it. but they need to know what they are going to attempt.I know that is what randys set up was.
thanks
Jase .

only one thing to say

BULL SHIT i called up Ground COntrol and they told me there is ABSOLUTELY NO WELDING involved, only for Track use, and if you have serious suspension work, such at stress bars, sway bars ply bushings...

so dont worry, anyways i will be getting my coils in 2 weeks so i will tell you more about it once i install them

jeremy
07-25-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by AndreNY

only one thing to say

BULL SHIT i called up Ground COntrol and they told me there is ABSOLUTELY NO WELDING involved, only for Track use, and if you have serious suspension work, such at stress bars, sway bars ply bushings...

so dont worry, anyways i will be getting my coils in 2 weeks so i will tell you more about it once i install them

i think he is talking about the obx coils....with that setup you do have to cut the perches and do some custom modifications....the gc's are a direct bolt up (from my understanding)...

Jase
07-25-2003, 02:15 PM
that is what I mean jeremy. Most o fthe coils on the market require some cutting and modification.I just wanted some help. I can geta set of obx off ebay for like 200cdn. and as you can see in my sig the car is way up there!. So i would like to be able to drop the car up to 3 inches.

jeremy
07-25-2003, 02:20 PM
that is what I mean jeremy. Most o fthe coils on the market require some cutting and modification.I just wanted some help. I can geta set of obx off ebay for like 200cdn. and as you can see in my sig the car is way up there!. So i would like to be able to drop the car up to 3 inches.

i'm going the obx route (if they ever get here,dam ebay).....from what i have heard and read, they are better than the gc's.....motronix can do the install for you.....he told me 200.00 to do it (that was like a year ago)

Jase
07-25-2003, 02:23 PM
long drive to put in springs..just instructions ..then i can get a shop here to do it

jeremy
07-25-2003, 02:27 PM
long drive to put in springs..just instructions ..then i can get a shop here to do it

e-mail motronix....he'll probably help you out....i think this install should be in the maintenance section as a "DIY".....one of us should write a "DIY" when we do it...

Jase
07-25-2003, 02:36 PM
i saw something about it . A DIY would be a good idea.I was going to write one about carbon fiber. where to get the stuff how to use it and the cost.

jeremy
07-25-2003, 02:41 PM
i saw something about it . A DIY would be a good idea.I was going to write one about carbon fiber. where to get the stuff how to use it and the cost.

ya man ! good idea....you could show people how too make cf door panels:D *th-up*

Jase
07-25-2003, 02:49 PM
yes i could. I have some pics I could include. but my main concern is the springs. Hey Jer I will be in saugga on monday. You going to be around?

jeremy
07-25-2003, 02:50 PM
possibly....i have to go to some thing at seneca (college), not sure which day though.....where in sauga ?

Jase
07-25-2003, 02:54 PM
to the best buy head office. near mavis and brittania.

jeremy
07-25-2003, 02:55 PM
to the best buy head office. near mavis and brittania.

i dont know sauga well...give me the address and i'll see where it is through map quest...

jer

AndreNY
07-25-2003, 02:57 PM
from my understanding OBX are the biggest garbage, and your ride will similar to the ones on the Civics. And a 3.0" is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to low, even thou u have a 318. THe GC's go down to 2.6 all around

jeremy
07-25-2003, 02:59 PM
from my understanding OBX are the biggest garbage, and your ride will similar to the ones on the Civics. And a 3.0" is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to low, even thou u have a 318. THe GC's go down to 2.6 all around

empowered has run the gc's and the obx in his e30 and has said that the obx were a better ride....that guy is too smart to be wrong....

Jase
07-25-2003, 03:01 PM
well i figured coilovers would be one way to go . do you have any other suggestions?.Randy ran coilovers on his ride and didn't seem to have any problems. I pm'd you andreny.Besides i really mean my car has 4 inches above the tire as it is. i do a 2 inch and i am not sure it would be enough.

AndreNY
07-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by jeremy
empowered has run the gc's and the obx in his e30 and has said that the obx were a better ride....that guy is too smart to be wrong....

in what terms better ride? as in softer confortable better performance stiffer......... and plus weldin spring to the perches*no-no*

jeremy
07-25-2003, 03:08 PM
in what terms better ride? as in softer confortable better performance stiffer......... and plus weldin spring to the perches*no-no*

i'm just going by what he said "I've tracked my E30 soooooo many times and can still swear that the OBX had a better ride... the GC were too bouncy with Bilstein sports around corners, "

it's all in this thread http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16026&perpage=15&highlight=obx*&pagenumber=1

AndreNY
07-25-2003, 03:13 PM
hmmmmm i talked to the guy at GC and he told me that he recommends Koni's but for me they are way t2 stiff, so when i told him Bilstein Sports, he told me sure we have great feedback from ppl that use them, so i dunno, i know his trying to sell them to me so his saying that, but i need someone that has a GC Bilsten set-up on their car to tell me what it feels like

jeremy
07-25-2003, 03:14 PM
hmmmmm i talked to the guy at GC and he told me that he recommends Koni's but for me they are way t2 stiff, so when i told him Bilstein Sports, he told me sure we have great feedback from ppl that use them, so i dunno, i know his trying to sell them to me so his saying that, but i need someone that has a GC Bilsten set-up on their car to tell me what it feels like

e-mail rob89m3.....he will tell you it's the best ion the world though.....he had to re-valve his shocks though.....

AndreNY
07-25-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by jeremy
e-mail rob89m3.....he will tell you it's the best ion the world though.....he had to re-valve his shocks though.....

ehhhh i dont feel like asking him, btw his not on this site anymore

Jase
07-25-2003, 03:21 PM
so what your saying is you think going to a e36 coilover is a bad idea?.

jeremy
07-25-2003, 03:22 PM
ehhhh i dont feel like asking him, btw his not on this site anymore

i know....but you could still e-mail him... http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=8

Jase
07-25-2003, 03:24 PM
i know the idea of welding my strut housing is not good. I am exploring all my options . obviously i can get a set of springs, but coilovers seem another way to go. i just need the info on installing them for me to decide if i want to go that way.

gsbadbmr
07-25-2003, 07:06 PM
APEX,APEX, APEX 60 mm with Bilstein sports.

Jase
07-25-2003, 09:14 PM
ok sell me yours

msifashion
07-26-2003, 12:21 AM
I have searched and asked questions about this set up for about a month now. I've got my set of OBXs, but I haven't done the install yet. I pretty much know everything there is to do on this so heres what I know.

Front:
Make sure to remove the shock from the strut housing. Use a cutting wheel to cut most of the lower spring perch, leave a lip from the original perch to be your base, or you can weld something for the coilover to sit on.
The sleeve that come with the kit will be too long. You will need to put the shock back in and install the locking nut. The distance from the perch and the bottom part of the lock nut is the length the sleeve should be. Remove the shock and nut and cut the sleeve that length and then slide it over the strut housing. Then install the shock, the locking nut should now be tight. The sleeve should lift off now.

Rear:
Remove the bolt and washer from the sleeve. The sleeve should be able to fit over the lower control arm's raised nipple, it should fit snug. You will have to bore out the center part of the sleeve for it to fit snugly. Using a lathe would be easiest.
You will now need to drill a hole though the lower control arm and it's nipple, this is for the bolt to go through to screw into the sleeve. Unfortunately, the bolt that comes with the kit is too short so you'll need a longer bolt with the same width and thread pattern. Now put the bolt though the control arm into the sleeve and install the rest of the coilover.

......this is what I've got from researching, I will be doing the install whenever I get time and I'll take pics if it'll help. But that'll be a while. Sounds like a lot of work but just take your time and it'll be worth the money you save.

Jase
07-26-2003, 04:33 PM
that is exactly what i wanted to know. Anyone else have some input?.
:)
Jase