PDA

View Full Version : LOL- gauge problem

Furious
07-24-2003, 04:40 AM
well not minutes after reading jeremys problem , i got one, what happens is the gauge cluster sometimes shuts down, no gas , kilometers, rpm, temp, or odometer, but all other lights work, then by itself they come on , then later will go off, then on , then off, so on and so forth. what the hell could be doing this>? thanks guys.

jeremy
07-24-2003, 04:50 AM
sounds like we're both fuked :D

Furious
07-24-2003, 04:59 AM
yup

Darren
07-24-2003, 05:17 AM
i just joined the club......all my gauges are dead except for the speedometer. I'm going to be taking out the instrument cluster again (1st time was to install white gauges) this weekend. I suspect either the metal contact is dirty or one of those colored plug units at the back (i think there are 4) of the cluster are loose.
I'll keep y'all posted.

djcontra
07-24-2003, 09:45 PM
If you're sure it's not a fuse or a loose/broken wire/connection then take it apart and look for blown capacitors, resistors, or even solder connections that may have come undone.
Any electronics repair shop can fix it, or if you're in the area, I could fix it.

Furious
07-24-2003, 11:40 PM
DJ you hit the nail on the head. i think its a blown cap. i pulled the assembly apart and no problems on the surface as far as sodder goes. the fuses were all changed. checked the connections for bent or corroded pins. can anyone recommend a place to take the gauges to? i dont really wanna try to attempt this electrical problem on my own.

djcontra
07-24-2003, 11:43 PM
Bring it to your local electronics repair shop, and let them give you an estimate. Tell them not to do any work until they're sure they can fix it and discuss a price with you first.

Furious
07-25-2003, 01:42 PM
thanks again guys, if this fails ill have to buy a new instrument unit, does anyone know how or If its tottally nessecary to decode it to make it work?

djcontra
07-25-2003, 02:16 PM
I've seen many clusters for sale cheap on ebay and at wrecking yards. i think the only downside to swapping a new one in is that it'll display the previous car's milage.
You'll need to get that reprogrammed by the dealer (which probably costs a lot :()

Furious
07-25-2003, 06:50 PM
actually im not sure if you have to decode our displays, either way i can deal with lower mileage :D , if i decide to go with an ebay cluster should i get some white faced gauges to keep the look of kilometers instead of miles? (i assume they will work exactly the same right? or is the US version set up different than ours? (if that last question doesnt make sense tell me) hahaha