PDA

View Full Version : Chaning Auto Tranny To Manual Tranny...info Needed!!

BMWF1
07-24-2003, 02:58 AM
Hey guys, I currently have a 318 IS 1996 which is unfortunatly a Automatic, yeah i know autos are shit, and yeah yeah yeah I should have got a manual but its a long story....anyway, I was wondering what some of the major modifications that would need to be done....someone was telling me that I would need to drop the engine?? Is this worth doing, the car is really nice, with rims and some work, plus i know it bumper to bumper so I'm not in the market for selling it and getting another one that is manual. If anyone has done this please post, and post how long this took and the difficult, obviously I wouldn't do this in my garage but I am just curious in final costs. Like is it easy to replace the automatic stick inside and to add the clutch or am i going to be in my car with a hacksaw?? Thanks for the posts guys *smoke*

T-spec
07-24-2003, 09:40 AM
Honestly, its probably more trouble than its worth. You first have to find a tranny about $1000 then a clutch mastercylinder clutch pedal, flywheel clutch assembly about another $1000 then the yoke from the auto might not fit the 5 speed. You'll have to hack up the floor board to make room for the shifter, make the clutch pedal fit and so on. I would estimate about 40-50 hours of labour if you have all the tools for any senario that might go wrong. I know you said you didn't want to sell your ride but that would be the best course of action in this case. Good luck with whatever you decide*wave*

nzer
07-25-2003, 09:55 AM
yeah unless your pretty handy with a spanner then its not a home jobby. If your looking to pay someone its in the region of $4000 (new zealand dollars) which i think is 3200ish canadian dollars.