PDA

View Full Version : Licensing 'Stand by'

sloveniaboy
07-22-2003, 10:27 AM
I'm out to get my full G license due to asssss fisting insurance rates, but my scheduled date is way down the road, I heard of people doing stand by, but I'm not sure I want to at the licensing centre for hours just to be told that there wren't any cancelations and I gotta go home.

Anybody hear anything or have experience with auto licensing stand by.....??

TiemenT
07-22-2003, 10:33 AM
I've never heard of that before, we don't use that in the Netherlands :confused:

maverick
07-22-2003, 10:37 AM
A friend of mine was in the same situation you are he told the DMV a sob story (not true) about how his mom needed to get a MRI and in canada they told her they couldn't scedule one for like 8 months but in buffalo she could get one next day and he couldn't cross the border without a full G licence. So the lady started tapping away at her computer scheduled him his g test in some rural area he had to drive for 45 minutes to get there but there was no highway around no major intersections it was some small town so he had to stop at a couple signs 3 point turns parelell park and that was about it.. If you got the cahunnas try that story.

Good luck
sitting around the DMV is a$$

sloveniaboy
07-22-2003, 10:40 AM
lol, yea, I know it happens over here in Ontario where if you want to, you are able to wait in a line at licensing centres for cancellations and open spots...I just wanna know if they actually do send people home or they try and fit the standbys in....??

sloveniaboy
07-22-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by maverick
A friend of mine was in the same situation you are he told the DMV a sob story (not true) about how his mom needed to get a MRI and in canada they told her they couldn't scedule one for like 8 months but in buffalo she could get one next day and he couldn't cross the border without a full G licence. So the lady started tapping away at her computer scheduled him his g test in some rural area he had to drive for 45 minutes to get there but there was no highway around no major intersections it was some small town so he had to stop at a couple signs 3 point turns parelell park and that was about it.. If you got the cahunnas try that story.

Good luck
sitting around the DMV is a$$

lol, nice idea!

TiemenT
07-22-2003, 10:45 AM
haha :P

djcontra
07-22-2003, 11:03 AM
Call up the Oshawa Licensing place. I know when I had my test there, I could just walk in and take it since it's always so dead.

crusher
07-22-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
Call up the Oshawa Licensing place. I know when I had my test there, I could just walk in and take it since it's always so dead.

hehe you didn't take it at morningside?! :D

crusher
07-22-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by TiemenT
I've never heard of that before, we don't use that in the Netherlands :confused:

TiemenT.. we have a thing here where you can get your license test by just annoying the licensing clerks heheh j/k

basically, all you have to do is go to the licensing branch.. stay there and ask them if they have any open spots for the day and do this for three straight days. If anyone backs out of their driving test, your good to go.

I think this only works for G2 driving test?!

Jeff

M3ti Compact
07-22-2003, 01:52 PM
Yes...Oshawa is dead all the time! I did my G and G2 there.

For my G test, I had it scheduled at like 3:30...and I heard the girls behind the desk brag that all the standbys were done by 3:00, I was the second last scheduled test, and they could all go home early!

Just be careful about the 1-way streets. Pay attention, and stay under 50km/h as most of the city route is UNSIGNED- 50km/h max. Otherwise, it's pretty easy.

TiemenT
07-22-2003, 01:57 PM
explain some thing about the G-test, we don't use that in the Netherlands..:confused:

djcontra
07-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by crusher
hehe you didn't take it at morningside?! :D

Actually I did, but that was my 2nd attempt.

Originally posted by M3ti Compact

Just be careful about the 1-way streets. Pay attention, and stay under 50km/h as most of the city route is UNSIGNED- 50km/h max. Otherwise, it's pretty easy.

Yup, that's how I failed. Bad left turn onto a 6 lane wide 1-way street with an island in the middle. I swear it looked like a regular road! I didn't even see the 1 way sign until further down the road when I realized I had made the left turn into the 4th lane! :(
Be careful for those.

Jim .E.
07-22-2003, 02:30 PM
i jus get my friend to call and find out cancellations, if not he bumps off one of the people that are gonna go with him and gives me their date :D

BTW he owns a driving school

app
07-23-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by TiemenT
explain some thing about the G-test, we don't use that in the Netherlands..:confused:

Here in Ontario, Canada, we have what they call a "graduated driving system." There are 3 tests that you have to take.

First test: G1 - just have to write a written test knowing your road signs and rules of the road. Once you've passed, no alcohol in your blood and have to drive with someone that has 4 years of driving experience.

Second test: G2 - road test. Once you've passed you can drive all you want, just with 0.00% alcohol in your blood.

Third test: G - road test again. Once passed, no more tests and you can drive up to 0.08% alcohol in your blood.

M3ti Compact
07-23-2003, 03:32 AM
And also with a G1...no highway with posted speed limit of 80km/h or above. And you are only allowed to have 9 demerit points (how you get so many with a G1 I don't know) before they yank it.

In my opinion...the "G" licence is useless...because someone with 0.08% blood alcohol can still be intoxicated.

ZiMMie
07-23-2003, 04:08 AM
Standy By is how i got my G2 Liences 2 months ago.
wat i did was i made up a table "Stand-By List" with name/time u there. i was there at 5AM (morninside center). people started showin up around 6:45 and everyone that came signd the shit made so when they open i just handed the list to the frnt dsk grl. u got called for my test aroun 10:54.. ((was 1st on the standby list)..

Just go there early in the mornin with some bootleg paper printed out with the Ministry of Trasprotaion logo and get everyone that come for stand by to sign it and u should be good to go

sloveniaboy
07-23-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by ZiMMie
Standy By is how i got my G2 Liences 2 months ago.
wat i did was i made up a table "Stand-By List" with name/time u there. i was there at 5AM (morninside center). people started showin up around 6:45 and everyone that came signd the shit made so when they open i just handed the list to the frnt dsk grl. u got called for my test aroun 10:54.. ((was 1st on the standby list)..

Just go there early in the mornin with some bootleg paper printed out with the Ministry of Trasprotaion logo and get everyone that come for stand by to sign it and u should be good to go

*th-up* , this is what I will do, thanks man!!!! Great help!:)