PDA

View Full Version : how to lower e30

patrick
07-20-2003, 01:26 AM
Need help guys wanna know the best way to lower my car, should I cut the springs or pay big bucks for new ones

AndreNY
07-20-2003, 01:56 AM
im gonna be selling mine soon if you want i could sell them to ya

thei are 2 !/4 front a 2" rear Jamex Europe Springs

MattM20is
07-20-2003, 02:05 AM
the rears wont sit right in the perches if you cut them. i got hr sports (1.3" drop) for $198 from tirerack and am very pleased with the ride height (i wouldve prefered maybe slightly lower) but i'm sure if you got a 88+ e30 it would look really nice and the rear would sit a little tucked.

low_bmw
07-21-2003, 03:30 AM
buy the lowest drop spring and cut 2 coils in the front and 1 coil in the back. Then you'll see people breaking their necks to look at your car.

M50E30
07-21-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by patrick
Need help guys wanna know the best way to lower my car, should I cut the springs or pay big bucks for new ones

*no-no*

A) Cutting springs are bad. Why? The spring is the main support for the weight of the car. Once you start cutting coils off of the spring you are going to screw up the handling. Do you want to be responsible IF you cause and accident?

B) Cutting springs are for rice boys who can't afford proper mods. Save up your money and do it right.

Not to come off as a total dick but think about it ok.

L8R,
Dave
*wave*

BMW BMXer
07-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Cutting performance springs is not so bad as cutting stockers.

But e30 rear springs cannot be cut anyhow.

djcontra
07-21-2003, 07:05 PM
DO NOT CUT YOUR SPRINGS

With that said, there are many reasons why...

-Your car will handle like sh*t after
-Your car risks bottoming out a lot (especially over small dips & bumps)
-You risk damaging the car, or other suspension parts which cost big bucks
-You risk endangering your life or someone else's who you might hit when you go out of control
-You're putting more strain on the spring than is recommended
-You will not pass any safety test (legally)

Save up $250 to $300 and buy proper lowering springs for your car. When it comes to performance/handling, do NOT cheap out on your car. I'm not saying to go buy coilovers, or spend thousands lowering the car either, just something inbetween.
You can cheap out all you want on the exterior of the car, just don't put a life at risk just to have a lowered car.

low_bmw
07-21-2003, 07:14 PM
If your not racing your car on a circuit race track and your just driving your car around the city with it on the ****ing ground to get all the attention. Buy the lowest dropped springs and cut them. Tuck that shit all around.

djcontra
07-21-2003, 07:23 PM
That's such bad advice, it's not even funny. Whoever listens to you and actually believes the bullshit you're spewing is just asking for trouble with their car, with the police, or their life.
Track car or not, do things PROPERLY.

BMW BMXer
07-21-2003, 07:37 PM
In low_bmws defense you can cut DEAD coils off performance springs to drop them down a little bit.

djcontra
07-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
In low_bmws defense you can cut DEAD coils off performance springs to drop them down a little bit.

Ok, now that's a bit different. You can remove dead coils, but you still change the properties of the spring, and they may not be able to sustain the weight of the vehical properly. Try and get springs that don't have deadcoils to begin with though. I myself hate progressive springs because they're noisy.
There's a lot of thought and engineering that goes into springs even though they're such a simple machine. I personally wouldn't change it in any way. If you want to go as low as you can go, get coilovers, period.

p.s. since patrick doesn't have lowering springs yet, I still advise him not to cut his stock springs. You can buy lowering springs, try them out, if you want it lower, you can TRY cutting the dead springs off before buying different ones, but I won't recommend it.

low_bmw
07-21-2003, 10:27 PM
chop the coils. My front springs have two coils cut for 4 years and nothing broke on my suspension. 4 1/4 inch drop in the front and 3 3/4 inch drop in the rear on STOCK SHOCKS and the ride is good not stiff and not bouncy. If you put coilovers and lower if 4 inches you will get that real stiff ride and every bump you hit it will feel like you dash is going to fall out.

AndreNY
07-22-2003, 12:06 AM
my springs are still for sale :P

patrick
07-22-2003, 11:46 PM
thanks a lot guys for confusing the crap out of me, but i think I'll just buy proper lowering springs because ride quailty is somewhat important to me and plus I only want about a 2" drop. anyone know where I can buy them...hope to have pics on here soon.

low_bmw
07-23-2003, 12:16 AM
2" isn't going to do shit. Trust me get the lowest drop spring and cut them. What size rim do you have?

patrick
07-23-2003, 01:09 AM
I have 17' rial vipers with 215 40 tires and mtec kit, the back sits nice but the front is like a 4x4

BMW BMXer
07-23-2003, 01:33 AM
Don't listen to low_bmw.

Hes obsessed with dragging his car all over the damn place.

For an e30 2inchs is Oil pan terriotory. Ask Andre he's hit his oilpan a few times.

My exhaust hits occasionaly and Ive hit my frame at 1.5" but I live in a construction zone so..

Further more more than 2 inchs on an e30 would cause excessive amounts of negative camber.

T-spec
07-23-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by low_bmw
2" isn't going to do shit. Trust me get the lowest drop spring and cut them. What size rim do you have?

correct me if wrong, but wasn't it you that was looking for plastic/urethane skirts because you said the fiberglass ones kept smashing on curbs and speedbumps and shit?:confused:

low_bmw
07-23-2003, 04:17 AM
No my bumper doesn't hit curbs because I know how to drive, it hits the ground because it is the ****ing LOWEST and plus you can't see the damage it's underneath. patrick says his car is high in the front. That looks gay so chop a coil in the front, trust me it will look a lot better.

AndreNY
07-23-2003, 01:59 PM
No my bumper doesn't hit curbs because I know how to drive, it hits the ground because it is the ****ing LOWEST and plus you can't see the damage it's underneath. patrick says his car is high in the front. That looks gay so chop a coil in the front, trust me it will look a lot better.

is this guy a ****ing retard????

Im dying to see how low your car will be at bimmercruise,

low_bmw
07-23-2003, 06:57 PM
AndreNY, your dying to see my car. Ask ///MsAnitTy, DbIiRrTdY, Euro E30, Shades and ///deni-boy/// how low my car is, they have all seen my car. SOON I WILL PUT PICTURES OF THE LOWEST EVERDAY DRIVING BIMMER IN THE WORLD.

Schnell 318
07-24-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by AndreNY
my springs are still for sale :P

how much?
will you ship to the us?

jeremy
07-24-2003, 04:05 AM
dont cut your springs !!!!

get a nice set of eibach/h&r springs and some bilstein sport shocks....

or, if you have cash, buy a set of coilovers.....

DONT CUT YOUR SPRINGS

///MsAniTy
07-24-2003, 04:07 AM
yea search e bay for cheap coils for yr car n get hooked up like jermany did

jeremy
07-24-2003, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by ///MsAniTy
yea search e bay for cheap coils for yr car n get hooked up like jermany did

thats right....you can always go the OBX coilover route....you will need to do some custom work to make them fit....or you could get it done for you by motronix for a good price.....the obx coilovers are VERY affordable....you vould even get a set of GC coilovers....there are a ton of options that dont require cutting springs, which IS DANGEROUS...

EMPOWERD
07-24-2003, 12:54 PM
.....OF THE LOWEST EVERDAY DRIVING BIMMER IN THE WORLD.

Lowest?:rolleyes: Gimme a break man, i've seen WAY lower than you! That's all the bragging rights ya got?

AndreNY
07-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by empowerd
Lowest?:rolleyes: Gimme a break man, i've seen WAY lower than you! That's all the bragging rights ya got?

ypu randy your car is def lower than his, and there is at least 7 milion E36' in Europe that are lower than him, maybe his the lowest E36 in his block :D

greg_84
07-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Randy man your car is amazing. It says stolen?? did you have it punked? man that sucks but I seen on the road a while back, very nice.

Jase
07-25-2003, 12:28 PM
i am not sure even coilovers will help my 4x4

M50E30
07-25-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Jase

Lookin' good Jase! *th-up* Think you will have a lump under that hood to weigh that front end down and drive it to Bimmercruize '03?

Dave

jeremy
07-25-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Jase

dude....once you have the m20 325i under the hood....eibach's 1.6 fr and 1.4 rear will be nice....since your runnin' 16"s though i would go with a 2-21/2 drop....4 inches from the top of the tire too the tire well is really like a 2" spring drop...

Jon@Bimmersport
07-25-2003, 10:47 PM
coilovers will drop ur car the lowest

dont be stupid like low bmw and cut ur springs to slam it to the ground..coilovers slam it to the ground the proper way

M3_MadBimmer
07-26-2003, 04:46 AM
I dont like how the car looks, when its dropped too far where it hides the tire and even sometimes the rim, i thin kthat looks like sh*t....i think 2 1/2" drop in front and like 2" drop in rear would look NICE!-------** MY OPINION**--------

msifashion
07-26-2003, 11:05 AM
low_bmw, you do NOT have the lowest bimmer in the world. I have a friend at school with an e36 running quad ported air bags all around and he can put the shit like millimeters from the ground. I'll get pics to prove it when school starts in a couple weeks.

low_bmw
07-26-2003, 03:56 PM
air bags are fake lowering jobs. It's millimeters off the ground when he parks. Tell how high it is when he drives?

BMW BMXer
07-26-2003, 06:40 PM
air bags are fake lowering jobs. It's millimeters off the ground when he parks. Tell how high it is when he drives?

You are stupid, your mind is so closed. You don't know what the **** your talking about shut up!

Go tell a bunch of minitruckers (or minitruck fans like myself) that air bags are fake lowering jobs. Bagged trucks and some cars LAY FRAME when there parked and can be at your height when driving or higher. Adjustability is great.

Get the **** over yourself man.

Jase
07-26-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by M50E30
Lookin' good Jase! *th-up* Think you will have a lump under that hood to weigh that front end down and drive it to Bimmercruize '03?

Dave
Originally posted by jeremy
dude....once you have the m20 325i under the hood....eibach's 1.6 fr and 1.4 rear will be nice....since your runnin' 16"s though i would go with a 2-21/2 drop....4 inches from the top of the tire too the tire well is really like a 2" spring drop...

I got the engine in but I am having problems getting the tranny in. So it is going to a shop on monday to put it in. That will bring the front down. the Mtech kit will make it look a bit lower i imagine.I think it will be drivable by bimmer cruise hopefully the interior is done by then too...see you guys there..
As far as the lowering goes I would go with some coilovers and some blistens..*th-up*
Jase

msifashion
07-26-2003, 09:34 PM

Air bags are great!!! I would love to have the adjustability of those things. He can drive at any height he wants to. It might bottom out sometimes but so does yours. Hes got a real nice set-up, not just cheap shit, so they're not as bouncy as some air ride set-ups.

But dude, to say you have THE lowest BMW in the world is just plain stupid. Have you seen every BMW in the world? I'll admit that your shit is low, and it does look nice. But there are some people out there that have thousands of dollars just put into their suspension, not just some cut lowering springs. :)

low_bmw
07-26-2003, 11:20 PM
some people do spend thousands of dollars on their suspensions and the rest of their car. I don't really care about my car. I don't spend my life savings on my car only extra spending money goes in my car. Air bags = $5,000 I'd rather buy a civic for the winter.

AndreNY
07-27-2003, 01:17 PM
some people do spend thousands of dollars on their suspensions and the rest of their car. I don't really care about my car. I don't spend my life savings on my car only extra spending money goes in my car. Air bags = $5,000 I'd rather buy a civic for the winter.

you are one dumn ass IDIOT, Air bags are the hottest shit in Europe right not, regular suspension is completely dead, and the coilovers are dying as well, the airbags do not have that good of a performance but the ride and height adjustability are superb. BTW check out all the new AUDI's BMW's Merc's alll with Air suspension. so CUT SPRINGS is the most stupid thing you can do, and dude if you think you got the lowest bimmer you better be ."5 off the floor when i see that car

bmwm5lover
07-27-2003, 03:43 PM
Andre, you got a PM! Im planning on lowering my car with some springs soon! Negattive Camber, her i come!!

Jon@Bimmersport
07-27-2003, 09:53 PM
I don't really care about my car.

tghats why u brag so much and make it your job on max to prove u have THE lowest bmw in the world? your a faggot, i hope u never come to the meets..all i'll here is "i got THE lowest bmw in the world" "your car isnt slammed, mine is though" "you drove a 4x4 bmw"

msifashion
07-28-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by AndreNY
BTW check out all the new AUDI's BMW's Merc's alll with Air suspension.

Don't forget the Tourareg. I don't think it's a standard option on that though.

uBaW
07-30-2003, 07:49 PM
just test sory.....