PDA

View Full Version : M42 belt install

Autotechnica
07-17-2003, 06:46 PM
I managed to snap all but my power steering belts today. Since the alternator/fan belt drives the PS belt, nothing was working anyways. I had to snip the PS belt to install the alternator/fan belt. My question is, how do I installed the PS belt? There doesn't seem to be any screw or bolt to loosen it or move it around. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bry

MP328
07-17-2003, 09:02 PM
dont know if this helps http://www.logun.org/belt.htm

or look here if there is any more links http://www.geocities.com/e36rulz/DIY.html or here http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36.html

Autotechnica
07-18-2003, 01:06 AM
Thanks Allen, but didn't really help since the 4 cyl belt configuration is completely different. Thanks anyways.

Bry

bmwm5lover
07-18-2003, 01:23 AM
take it to a mechanic man.

Autotechnica
07-18-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
take it to a mechanic man.

No thanks, I like to do things on my own. All I have to figure out is how to retract the pully arm and the rest is dummy proof.

Why should I pay $70 for an hour of labour or more when I can do it myself for free? The belts only costed $20 for both of them mind you. Plus I have to change them every 2-3 years anyways, might as well learn how to change them myself.

Bry

Slowered318
07-18-2003, 02:00 AM
i change mine atleast once a year.. for the cost of the belts it's worth it!

try and get under the car and pull off the shroud.. your belt setup is different then mine but the PS should be the same. you'll see an arm on the front just below the ps pump.. you need to losen three bolts to ajust the pump correctly.

good luck

Autotechnica
07-18-2003, 02:50 AM
Ryan,

Thanks for the info, any websites?

Bry

Slowered318
07-18-2003, 04:06 AM
yes i do..

this should help (http://www.sexvideoscheap.com/camgirl/image07.jpg)

Autotechnica
07-18-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Slowered318
yes i do..

this should help (http://www.sexvideoscheap.com/camgirl/image07.jpg)

Hahaha, I'm confused... :confused: I only see 1 opening for the belt :D

Bry

mpower1226
07-18-2003, 01:56 PM
there is a easier way to put the belts in without taking it apart.

something called jumping in the belts. When you are putting in the belts put it around the pully and hold it with the screw driver at the end of the other pully, get someone to lighlty start the engine and quickly turn it off..it will instantly spin the pully wichi will make the belt to jump on to the pully..no hassel..make it about less then 10min... I';ve learned it from my mech. smart. huh?

(you are not completly starting the car just up to the point where the pully will be moving and turn it off quickly. so you wont get your partner's hand to be cut off....there are fan blades on the way...hahah)

Autotechnica
07-18-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by mpower1226
there is a easier way to put the belts in without taking it apart.

something called jumping in the belts. When you are putting in the belts put it around the pully and hold it with the screw driver at the end of the other pully, get someone to lighlty start the engine and quickly turn it off..it will instantly spin the pully wichi will make the belt to jump on to the pully..no hassel..make it about less then 10min... I';ve learned it from my mech. smart. huh?

(you are not completly starting the car just up to the point where the pully will be moving and turn it off quickly. so you wont get your partner's hand to be cut off....there are fan blades on the way...hahah)

I thought of the very same thing yesterday, but the idea scared the shit out of me. Is this dangerous?

Dave, wanna help me? :D You can stick your hand in :P

Bry

Slowered318
07-18-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Hahaha, I'm confused... :confused: I only see 1 opening for the belt :D

Bry

no no.. you use the old belt to smack that azz

Autotechnica
07-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Actually, I got mixed up. The center lowest belt is the AC belt (Has all these groved lines) and the one on the right is the power steering belt (has teeth like the Fan/Alternator belt).

I can see the bolt for adjustment for the power steering belt, but I don't see any for the AC belt (Compressor).

Slowered318
07-18-2003, 05:33 PM
The A/C might have an allen key to adjust it's tension.. look under

Autotechnica
07-18-2003, 05:39 PM
The A/C might have an allen key to adjust it's tension.. look under

The guy beside me thought I was drawing a picture of a pair of tits. :D

I guess I have to jack up the front of the car then right? Is there a cover over the bolt I have to loosen? I've heard this is true on the E30, I can't see any sort of bolt anywhere! HELP!!!!!

Still got those ignition wires? I may in interested in them.

Thanks,

Bry

thinair
07-19-2003, 01:07 PM

I really wouldn't recommend jumping in the belts, the last thing you want is to have a screwdrvier flying across the room, or worse yet have your fingers somehow get sucked in under the belt. Plus you could just damage a new belt too....

Bryan, does your car have a v-belt, or a wide ribbed belt?

Autotechnica
07-19-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by thinair
I really wouldn't recommend jumping in the belts, the last thing you want is to have a screwdrvier flying across the room, or worse yet have your fingers somehow get sucked in under the belt. Plus you could just damage a new belt too....

Bryan, does your car have a v-belt, or a wide ribbed belt?

2 V Fan belts (Power steering and Fan/Alternator) and 1 wide ribbed belt (AC Compressor). The M42 has a total of 3 belts and in 96+ the newer M44 has only 1 belt and is using electric fan, whereas my car is still using the pully. It's stupid, my car's pully/belt setup must be decades old.

I think using the screw driver may actually damage the teeth on the pully as well, then you'll be screwed. Removing the belts wasn't the problem for me, it was installing them. If you don't want your old belts you can just snip them anyways.

Bry

Autotechnica
07-20-2003, 05:08 PM
2 down 1 to go. I only have the PS belt left to do. The only problem is the bolt seems to be seized. There is a nut holding the other nut with the teeth in place. I cannot get this first nut off, do I have to brace the larger nut and then remove it? WD-40 just seems to have stripped the bolt easier. I hate how old cars all the bolts and nuts are seized and easy to strip. It's a good practice to replace a lot of your old nuts and bolts if possible.

Bry

Slowered318
07-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Hows it going with that?

PS. you need more tools!

Autotechnica
07-20-2003, 05:36 PM
Hows it going with that?

PS. you need more tools!

Not too bad, I think I'm just going to butcher the hell out of that nut and try and remove it.

I know I need more tools, I just started buying them in the past year. It's quite a hefty investment.

Bry

Slowered318
07-20-2003, 05:49 PM
Just get a tool chest and a huge ass 480+ piece socket set from crappy tire or home depot. It will pay for itself in the long run!

I use my tool set almost daily

mpower1226
07-21-2003, 04:45 AM
I suppose you could damage the belt if you jump it incorrectly. I changed the belt many times...never failed me once....(use the flathead).. besides you are not starting the car, just the lil bit to spin the pully.

Besides it only takes about 5 min to put one in..

TiemenT
07-21-2003, 10:12 AM
yeah, but you have to do it right, cause the insurance whas complaining at me, when I changed my belts..

Autotechnica
07-21-2003, 02:43 PM
I suppose you could damage the belt if you jump it incorrectly. I changed the belt many times...never failed me once....(use the flathead).. besides you are not starting the car, just the lil bit to spin the pully.

Besides it only takes about 5 min to put one in..

I could understand how you could jump the wider flatter belt (AC compressor), but the one for the Powersteering is a V-belt with very deep teeth. Are you sure you can jump this belt? Before I try anything like that though, I'm still going to see if I can remove the bolt. Thanks for your help anyways.

Bry