PDA

View Full Version : Damn Foglights

greekthang
07-17-2003, 01:24 PM
Hi guys,

I don't know what the hell is going but everytime I replace my bulbs in my fogs the keep burning out does anyone else have this problem. Is it a short in the system or should I get new fog lights. Please help cause I am pissed off:mad:

R_JAY
07-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Is it just one side that keeps burning out? The bulbs should last quiet a long time and new fogs are probably not the answer unless they're cracked or broken. It sounds like a short to me.

greekthang
07-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by R_JAY
Is it just one side that keeps burning out? The bulbs should last quiet a long time and new fogs are probably not the answer unless they're cracked or broken. It sounds like a short to me.

Thats what I kind of figured myself

R_JAY
07-17-2003, 02:56 PM
I had a similar problem but it was always the same side that kept going out. It turned out to be the connector that plugs into the foglight was bad. It was only a $5 fix but i'm just guessing right now.

greekthang
07-17-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by R_JAY
I had a similar problem but it was always the same side that kept going out. It turned out to be the connector that plugs into the foglight was bad. It was only a $5 fix but i'm just guessing right now.

That could be it because I removed the bulb and I found burn marks on the driver side. It could be that. Have to try it out. Thanks pal

TiemenT
07-17-2003, 05:04 PM
in the Netherlands it's illegal to drive with foglamps on, while there's no fog:mad:

how that up in the States ?

DbIiRrTdY
07-17-2003, 06:42 PM
dumb question but are you putting them in with your bare hands - cuz the oil from your hands will get on the glass and the temp will get too hot then it is only a matter of time b4 the bulb burns out

Autotechnica
07-17-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by DbIiRrTdY
dumb question but are you putting them in with your bare hands - cuz the oil from your hands will get on the glass and the temp will get too hot then it is only a matter of time b4 the bulb burns out

I doubt that's the problem. Only the headlight bulbs seem to have this problem, sometimes they even bursts. The fog lights should last a long time even if you get your oily finger prints on them.

I think you should check your connectors. They may be corroded, just use a file and sand them down a bit.

Bry

MP328
07-17-2003, 09:50 PM
try a different make bulb. and dont use 100 watt bulbs in your fogs. i put once 100's in it and they blew the next day. 55 watt is best u can go.

or just do the H7 conversion http://www.apexcone.com/Lighting/H7Fogs/H7Fogs.html

Bad Man
07-20-2003, 01:59 AM
Man, I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!

Plz share what u do to fix it....its pissing me off!

greekthang
07-28-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by MP328
try a different make bulb. and dont use 100 watt bulbs in your fogs. i put once 100's in it and they blew the next day. 55 watt is best u can go.

or just do the H7 conversion http://www.apexcone.com/Lighting/H7Fogs/H7Fogs.html

Sounds great pal but who does the H7 conversion. The link doesn't work. Can someone tell me how it is done or where I can get it done.

Thanks

MP328
07-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by greekthang
Sounds great pal but who does the H7 conversion. The link doesn't work. Can someone tell me how it is done or where I can get it done.

Thanks

i dont know why the hell they dont work anymore :mad: i looked at a few opther links and none work. but it's pretty simple, maybe 30 min work.

try reading this link here http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=100127#post100127 and follow it down

here is a picture with mine when i did it. left foglight is the stock H1 and right is the H7. look at the ground and u see the difference

greekthang
07-28-2003, 06:22 PM
i dont know why the hell they dont work anymore :mad: i looked at a few opther links and none work. but it's pretty simple, maybe 30 min work.

try reading this link here http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=100127#post100127 and follow it down

here is a picture with mine when i did it. left foglight is the stock H1 and right is the H7. look at the ground and u see the difference

Thanks pal but I don't want to **** up my new for that are on the way. Is there a step by step way including pictures. That would help me out big time.

Thanks

MP328
07-28-2003, 06:40 PM
i dont know why the other links are dead, but i just found this one here too that i have seen before.

http://www.logun.org/fogs.htm

the only thing, as me and mkgino did is that u dont wanna open up such a huge hole as they did on that side in your foglight. but instead it';s beter to open a hole just big enough to fit the glass part of the bulb into the fog, and then just cut the base of the H7 bulb so it fits in the H1 seat. that way u can always go back to your H1 bulbs if for any reason u have to.

greekthang
07-29-2003, 01:54 PM
i dont know why the other links are dead, but i just found this one here too that i have seen before.

http://www.logun.org/fogs.htm

the only thing, as me and mkgino did is that u dont wanna open up such a huge hole as they did on that side in your foglight. but instead it';s beter to open a hole just big enough to fit the glass part of the bulb into the fog, and then just cut the base of the H7 bulb so it fits in the H1 seat. that way u can always go back to your H1 bulbs if for any reason u have to.

Thanks pal but do you need to remodify the wiring as well or is it a plug and play thing??

Bad Man
07-29-2003, 02:36 PM
Since I'm having the same problem, I might convert too! But what happens if the convert doesn't even work? Then there is like no going back is there?

greekthang
07-29-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Bad Man
Since I'm having the same problem, I might convert too! But what happens if the convert doesn't even work? Then there is like no going back is there?

I think thats what they are saying. Make the hole a bit bigger to fit the H7 bulb but snip the base of the H7 bulb to fix the H1 housing. My question is how the hell are you going to snip the base of the bulb. What would you use ??:confused:

Would this be an example of an H7 bulb

Please let me know

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2425591822&category=33710

MP328
07-29-2003, 04:29 PM
yeah thats an H7 bulb, as u can see it's twice the size of the H1 on is used in the elippsoids as the low/high beam.

and as to how to cut it, i used some what do u call them scissors for sheet metal. and a dremmel tool that i used to grind the hole in the foglight. and u gotta get that big ring off the H7 bulb and kinda cut an angle on one of the side on the H7 bulb, since the H1 has a angle on it.

and the wiring u need to just take the ground wire off and add that litle piece on top of it in the picture that i circled. cuz the H1 has 1 nipple and the H7 has 2. it doesn't matter which way u hook them up though.

if u have any problems we can meet up on the weekend i'm willing to show u mine or give u a hand once u get all the stuff together.

the first fog i did took maybe 45 min, but the second one then maybe only 20 min cuz i knew now what i gotta do

greekthang
07-29-2003, 05:44 PM
yeah thats an H7 bulb, as u can see it's twice the size of the H1 on is used in the elippsoids as the low/high beam.

and as to how to cut it, i used some what do u call them scissors for sheet metal. and a dremmel tool that i used to grind the hole in the foglight. and u gotta get that big ring off the H7 bulb and kinda cut an angle on one of the side on the H7 bulb, since the H1 has a angle on it.

and the wiring u need to just take the ground wire off and add that litle piece on top of it in the picture that i circled. cuz the H1 has 1 nipple and the H7 has 2. it doesn't matter which way u hook them up though.

if u have any problems we can meet up on the weekend i'm willing to show u mine or give u a hand once u get all the stuff together.

the first fog i did took maybe 45 min, but the second one then maybe only 20 min cuz i knew now what i gotta do

Thanks alot pal. When I get my new fogs in the mail and get my bulbs maybe I can give you a call and you can show me what you did. Really appreciate it. One question though will the fog light handle the extra heat the the bulb produces?

MP328
07-29-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by greekthang
Thanks alot pal. When I get my new fogs in the mail and get my bulbs maybe I can give you a call and you can show me what you did. Really appreciate it. One question though will the fog light handle the extra heat the the bulb produces?

yeah i had mine in there for the last 4 or 5 months and no problem, just dont buy the 100 watt H7's i think mine are 55's

greekthang
07-29-2003, 07:39 PM
yeah i had mine in there for the last 4 or 5 months and no problem, just dont buy the 100 watt H7's i think mine are 55's

Awesome thats what I am going to do for sure then. Thanks again