PDA

View Full Version : Lowered Cars Illegal

OILERS
07-16-2003, 03:32 PM
hey, i read an article in the toronto star, july 12, pg G8, and a guy had a lowered car, got into an accident, totalled the car, and the insurance company(state farm) wouldn't pay him, saying they don't cover lowered cars. another guy in the article said he had his car lowered and called state farm, he was with them for 15 years, clean record, told them he lowered his car, then he got a letter in the mail saying they will not keep him anymore. so he had to put the car back to normal for state farm to take him back.
my car is lowered, now i gotta see somehow if my insurance covers it without them knowing that my car is lowered. my friend called his insurance(which is state farm) and they said they don't cover lowered cars. there reasoning is that lowered cars are more aerodynamic and make the car go faster. so now what about all the other shit you can do, like exhausts and stuff, if that is legal, this is pure BULLSHIT.
so has anyone else heard of this, does anyone know of an insurance company that will accept lowered cars.

OILERS

app
07-16-2003, 03:54 PM
I'm with security national and they've had no problems with my m3 suspension on my 325i.

EstorilM3
07-16-2003, 05:10 PM
As far as insurance companies are concerned ALL modifications are suspect, and may cause accidents...this has been an issue for about a hundred years, and it ain't gonna go away...

*...Don't ask, don't tell..*

chitown
07-16-2003, 05:28 PM
That is true, I switched to state farm a month ago and they told me to my face that if I lower my car I am not covered.

app
07-16-2003, 08:35 PM
Don't ask, don't tell. I wish. Now, they're making you take pictures of your car. Yeah, you could lift it up for the pics when you're at a registered place to get the pictures done, then re-lower it.

They took pics of the exterior, odometer, interior, and engine bay.

app
07-16-2003, 08:37 PM
Oh I forgot to add, the picture lady (who sends the photos in for you so you can't scam em) was asking why I had a massive strut bar, I said it was for better handling in emergency situations. So lowering the car, just say its for better handling, which will allow you to dodge accidents and not flip the car. Worked for me. :)

I asked what they are looking for (my insurance people) and they said, they wanted to see if I had the big tach, and extra gauges or signs of mods that I would be obviously racing.

qimis
07-16-2003, 08:44 PM
this is FUCT ... i haven't even got a car yet ! still confused how to get a low rate insurance and now we CANT lowered the car ... FU*K sake ! *uzi*

qimis
07-16-2003, 08:46 PM
oh ... what about that automatic suspensions from mercedes like S class ? it lowers by it self when you go faster ?

AMG_POWER
07-16-2003, 08:54 PM
Maaaaaaan This is getting bad....next thing you know they will close performance shops, ban any kind of mods, and make a law that you cannot modify cars, and u have to drive bone stock cars....man we have to make a strike ! :confused:

chitown
07-16-2003, 08:58 PM
My State Farm agent didn't take pics of the car, forgot why, she was cool as hell though :)

Mr seville
07-16-2003, 09:20 PM
my insurance guy said mod the car i get as much as i want as long as theres no forced induction...i was like:huh?: the perks of getting insurance through relatives i guess. put a jacket or else you catch a freezing(in italian accent)

Soldo
07-16-2003, 09:53 PM
ya my company never photos any of our cars, dunno why, but i'm kinda going on the whole don't ask don't tell business, whats going on are they doing this just to scare us!?

SpudBoy
07-16-2003, 10:33 PM
As far as i know. If the mods are not insured, they will not be replaced. If the mods are insured (that is you tell the ins company that you have an M3 engine, they will jack your rates accordingly and then replace the M3 engine if an accident requires replacement.) Ins companies are getting very wary of fraud. I don't blame them with some of the scams going on. I heard of a guy that bought an old car with serious fresh body damage and rubbed it against a guard rail and claimed all the damage was caused by the rub, then also claimed neck injury and is claiming long term disability too. We all pay for this type of guy. Turn him in if you hear of fraud.*smoke*

BMW BMXer
07-17-2003, 03:48 AM
The pics state farm has of my car have it unpainted, stock rims, no system, and stock height.