PDA

View Full Version : I just got a 8.5lbs UUC Flywheel!

thinair
07-15-2003, 11:47 PM
Well, the UPS guy made yet another delivery today. In the box I found a 8.5lbs UUC LTW Flywheel that I bought from UPMotorsports on a groupbuy.

The flywheel looks to be of pretty good quality, no burrs on the aluminum, no cheap fasteners (8.8 grade for the pressure plate and 10.9 for the crank fasteners), and even loctite is included.

All I gotta do it get an e34 3.6L M5 clutch kit (pressure plate, throwout bearing, clutch plate) and wait for my current clutch to wear out spontainiously.

Appearently this flywheel is supposed to be chatter free, but we'll see once I install it....

....I just don't know how soon I'll be installing it.:(

330DTM
07-16-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by thinair

....I just don't know how soon I'll be installing it.:(

Drive everyday doing drag launches from stop signs to red lights :D

Or do a lousy launch where you end up burning you clutch hehe j/k.

I can't wait to see the flywheel + clutch combo on your car. i want to see how it feels on your car *th-up*

thinair
07-16-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by 328DTM
I can't wait to see the flywheel + clutch combo on your car. i want to see how it feels on your car *th-up*

Appearently the M5 clutch will actually lighten the pedal feel, which is something I'm looking very forward too (aside from the quicker revs and such).

330DTM
07-16-2003, 01:36 AM
Appearently the M5 clutch will actually lighten the pedal feel, which is something I'm looking very forward too (aside from the quicker revs and such).

Yeah heel toe should be super easy.
My A4 friend did the clutch + flywheel upgrade on his white a4 and it revs so much quicker than his silver a4 w/stock flywheel. Same with when he does heel toe downshifts, it's easier to rev match.

djcontra
07-16-2003, 11:45 AM
Nice! I have the same one myself, but no need to install it yet. I'm also waiting for my current clutch to wear out beforehand.
I got the e34m5 parts from bimmerparts.com if you're interested.

thinair
07-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
I got the e34m5 parts from bimmerparts.com if you're interested.

How much was the clutch if you don't mind me asking?

djcontra
07-17-2003, 06:54 PM
I believe it was around $230 CDN

moregothanshow
07-17-2003, 08:04 PM
damn thats cheap...do u think they still have more?

djcontra
07-17-2003, 08:58 PM
According to their website, they have some in stock, so I would say yes. Give them a call to be sure though.

thinair
07-17-2003, 10:57 PM
I believe it was around $230 CDN

Wow, that's way cheaper then what BMW wants ($640)

moregothanshow
07-18-2003, 01:12 AM
is that brand new? 230??

djcontra
07-18-2003, 02:04 AM
yeah it's all new parts, and the clutch I bought was made by Sachs as well (so it's not some crappy brand either).

Thinair, $640?!? Tell me that included installation right? Make sure you ask about a clutch kit for an E34 m5, and not the E39 m5.

crusher
07-18-2003, 03:02 AM
You mean by lightening the pedal feel is like those pedal feel in e46 where there's no clutch resistance at all? heheh i was surprise when i tried the 330 clutch pedal it's so light and fluppy :D

PS: I will do the flywheel e35M5 clutch kit too when my clutch dies which I think around 30/40,000km more

thinair
07-18-2003, 03:22 AM
Thinair, $640?!? Tell me that included installation right? Make sure you ask about a clutch kit for an E34 m5, and not the E39 m5.

I was quoted over $646 at the dealer for a 3.6L e34 M5 clutch kit (pressure plate, throwout bearing and clutch disc), no installation (I'm doing it myself anyway)

moregothanshow
07-18-2003, 05:27 AM
oh shit so wait it lightens the feel of which pedal?? i like the heavy feel of my pedals and everything right now...i actually hate the new e46 feel....it feels like a civic or some shit....too too light....
what are the benefits of the e34 M5 clutch kit? i want to see if it is worth giving up the pedal feel for performance....
Thanks!

djcontra
07-18-2003, 11:07 AM
I was quoted over $646 at the dealer for a 3.6L e34 M5 clutch kit (pressure plate, throwout bearing and clutch disc), no installation (I'm doing it myself anyway)

Ooooh! Ok, for the whole kit then. Yeah that doesn't sound too outrageous then. I paid $540 for everything in the end. I was just quoting the price of the disc itself before.

Peter1998
07-19-2003, 07:16 AM
i got this combo on my car.. it is very nice .. u should install it asap!!!!!.. dont wait~~~

cheffy
07-20-2003, 06:15 PM
i got a 13 lbs fidenza flywheel but havn't installed it yet....( also kinda waiting till my clutch wears out first ) but which shop do you guys plan to install the flywheel at?

thinair
07-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Peter1998
i got this combo on my car.. it is very nice .. u should install it asap!!!!!.. dont wait~~~

Did you get any noise/rattling issues? And did you keep the stock 328 clutch slave cylinder, or swap to an M3 unit? I'm thinking of swapping mine to the M3 because I hear it raise the release point higher, which is great if you have a clutch stop (plus I really dislike clutchs that practically engage on the floor).

Originally posted by cheffy
i got a 13 lbs fidenza flywheel but havn't installed it yet....( also kinda waiting till my clutch wears out first ) but which shop do you guys plan to install the flywheel at?

I'm doing mine myself in the garage, it seems to be cheaper that way, although I may take my car out of commision for a couple days to a week (depending on how much free time I have). There actually isn't a whole to swapping a clutch, the hardest part is getting all the bolts around the bell housing off, and aligning the tranny input shaft to the clutch spline when reinstalling the tranny. Borrowing/renting a tranny jack helps too, but isn't necessary. Having an extra set of hands comes in very handy though (if those hands are sober, give your helper beer only once the job is done :rolleyes: ).

While I have the tranny out I'm also going to change a bunch of random tranny seals, maybe the rear crank seal, and my guibo.

Peter1998
07-21-2003, 03:07 AM
i am using the UUC clutch stop, also it have noise/rattling after warm up. sometime is loud.. sometime isnt loud.. i think it is because i am still using ATF oil. i heard should use 75W-90 after using this combo for lower the nosie

Peter1998
07-21-2003, 03:08 AM
I keep the stock 328 clutch slave cylinder.

cheffy
07-21-2003, 04:55 AM
thinair: much respect for doing this mod yourself...i'm gonna take my car to a shop haha

i heard on E46, changing to Redline MT90 transmission fluid will eliminate the chatter. (from Rob@UUC)

others have done it and took out "most" of the chatter

thinair
07-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by cheffy
thinair: much respect for doing this mod yourself...i'm gonna take my car to a shop haha

I'd do an engine swap at my place if I had the money to buy an engine right now*th-up* .

Yes, I have an pneumatic engine hoist bolted to an I-beam in my garage. :P

g328m
07-25-2003, 09:25 PM
I have a M3 clutch if anyone need it. It was on my 328 when I had the AA flywheel. I'll sell it for $250. like new. These clutch is enough for your light flywheel.