PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Co. getting tough on Performance Mods

tlaselva
07-15-2003, 06:04 PM
Some of you think the Cops have been given a hard time with our car mods.
Look at this article below. If this is true, any of us that are driving cars that have had ANY performance modification, be deemed as modified and give the insurance companies a reason to void your insurance on the spot, especially during a claim.

Seems that insurance companies have found a way to curtail car performance upgrades that the cops could only dream of.

In light of this article, it may be prudent to check how your insurance company feels about your car's current setup.

Guys and Gal's, if this is true, most of us are in a lot of trouble.

Star Newspaper Link (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1057832583249&call_pageid=968867497088&col=969048871196)

///MsAniTy
07-15-2003, 06:14 PM
wow that is not kool man. I am calling my broker right and checkin this out cuz if worst comes to worst and somthin happens and im nto insured i am dead meat

djcontra
07-15-2003, 06:50 PM
Register your car as a ''kitcar'' and it'll be covered no matter what has been done to the car, but there are a lot of ''catches''.
Talk to your broker about it.

sonic07
07-15-2003, 07:15 PM
wow that's scary finding out your car is not insured after an accident i don't think that's legal is it ? .... my insurance always have to see the car and they take pictures regardless new or old. the co-operators. i guess one way to keep it low use smaller rims ... lol ..

M50E30
07-15-2003, 07:21 PM
So much for living in a free country anymore. Well us "the people/citizens" hold some thing very precious...votes...come election time show them who is the boss!

Razkal
07-15-2003, 07:24 PM
Oh man!

What a way to ruin the day :(

I hope this is not 100% yet. I can not afford to tell my insurance company about my mods.... they will prob do me with a rusty screwdriver once they find out! :eek:

djcontra
07-15-2003, 07:39 PM
I just called my agent and he laughed at the article a bit saying that there must be more to the story than what the guy is writing about. My agent told me if I choose to modify my car for looks, then there isn't anything they can do about it, but if those modifications are the cause of my accident then I'm not covered. He did mention that if I install a turbo or supercharger that i MUST let them know.

p.s. I'm going through ING right now, so I'm taking this all with a grain of salt as well :D

///MsAniTy
07-15-2003, 07:45 PM
yea same with my agent i was on the phone with him and he said if the guy installed it himself that they will not cover you but if a shop installs everything then it will be covered but if something happens and causes the accident cuz of the installation of lowering your car etc that they can not cover you but then you may blame the shop that installed it

WASABI
07-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Scared me for a sec, but yes it makes sense. Just like the warranty on your car. They say any mods will void the warranty, but read the contract carefully and you'll see that the warranty will only be voided if the mod(s) was proven to be the cause for that particular part(s).

Soldo
07-15-2003, 08:20 PM
PHEW, this thread scared the shitt outta me!!
So its not true then right!

Razkal
07-15-2003, 11:02 PM
I can sleep easier tonite now..... for now at least... hahah

ABCarr
07-16-2003, 02:16 AM
This is a very real situation. I was on the phone with my State Farm agent earlier today and he essentially confirmed what was said in the Star article. If you are with State Farm, I would be concerned. Other insurers attitudes can't be far off. Of course, the agent/broker you deal with may be willing to let things slide a bit, but if push comes to shove, expect some problems.

Sunapollo
07-16-2003, 02:50 AM
uh oh I have statefarm :(

Adriano
07-16-2003, 03:41 PM
Guys, this is true.
I asked my insurance broker (Unity group in Windsor) if I could pay a higher priemium if I could get extra coverage for my mods. I told them about my rims and body kit and that I enter my car to shows. They called me up the next day and told me 'sorry about your luck but you have two weeks to find another insurance company'*uzi*
The only way I could keep my insurance was to threaten them that I was going to move my house, company and other vehicle insurance also.
This is bullshit! Don't you think that if I invest into my car that I would be more careful with it?!
I could only imagine what he would say if I told him that I am running nitrous and have a rocket launcher behind my lowering licence plate:eek:

Soldo
07-16-2003, 10:04 PM
This is bullshit, this has GOT TO STOPPPPPPPP!!!!
FUKKKKKKK!
Honestly, this is bullshit, it doesn't make sense how they sell this shit but book you for it too!

SpudBoy
07-16-2003, 10:52 PM
Times are a change'n... WAR ON STREET RACING.

Seems you can race a mini-van but not a Honda. Some ins companies are getting out of auto due to "personal injury" claims. So any reason to cancel policy or increase premiums is fair game. They don't want the business. I would look for proof that "lowered cars go faster". Bimmers usually hit the speed limiter without being lowered. I'm not sure how you go faster than the electronically govered speed with out software. I don't need to exceed the 155 MPH (???) top speed of my car to enjoy it. Have your lawyer give them a call but if your ins co. has decided to drop the business then expect your renewal to have a huge increase in premium based on "increased fraud and theft". That's what Prudential did to me. I was with them for 7 years with one claim (car was parked on the street and hit). They raised my premium by 50% based on "increased fraud and theft". I bolted to CIBC.

djcontra
07-17-2003, 08:13 PM
My agent from ING just called me back again this afternoon with some more good news. ING is willing to insure my supercharged E36 only if I get them to appraise the new value of the car. Once they deem the value of the car has been increased a signifigant ammount, they will ask me to pay higher premiums if I wish to have them insure it. If I dont, then any of my aftermarket parts will NOT be covered, but I will get the value of the stock parts instead.