PDA

View Full Version : Audio: Wiring 2 Subs

Dluxazn58
03-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Hey guys.. I dont know if you remember me talking about my audio setup.. but I finally went with a pair of 10" kenwood "tornado" style subs.

My question is.. what kind of amp should I get?
and how would I wire it? If I get a mono Class D amp... how would I wire that to 2 subs? connect the subs together and wire it as one speaker? Same question but different amp.. If I had a 2 channel amp. Would it be better for me to bridge it, and wire the two subs as one speaker? or should I wire it as two speakers?
any differences in performance from the two different ways?

ALSO.. i'm not very familar with amps...
I have a sub output on my deck, and my amp will be connected to this. NOT THROUGH SPEAKER INPUTS
so would I need a switch to turn the amp on and off?
or will it turn on automatically? or does all this depend on the amp?

Furious
03-22-2002, 11:16 PM
well i wired mine as one (or bridged),, because thats what i was told to do,,i made it mono,,,,, the best thing to do is ask a local cart audio place,, you will also need a crossover,,,,

Schnell
03-23-2002, 03:17 AM
If your deck has a subwoofer pre-out, you shouldn't need a crossover, it should be built into your deck. As for wiring, it all depends on what kind of amp you get and what the max power and impedance of the subs are.

Furious
03-28-2002, 10:04 AM
most decks dont come with sub pre-outputs,, they havent become a standard option for most audio companies yet,, i found most decks with the duel or sub pre-outputs are in the high hundred dollar range and are over 200watts..hopefully this will become a standard option for all decks..