View Full Version : Help, rear tires are too big.

07-15-2003, 04:37 AM
Ok, I got new rims and tires.

They are meant for a 5 series, but I liked the look of bigger tires so much, I got them for my car anyway.

Now, if I go over a slight bump at 70+ (kilometers) then I can hear my rear tires graze my car.

I can't even have people in the backseat. I had one person today and I went on the highway. Every 2 secods I hit a slight bump and could hear my tires hit.

What can I do? I thought of a few things and have a few questions:

1) Take out my backseats.

I dunno how much I want to do this, but I mean they are kinda useless as I don't like to driver people around and this would give me a great excuse to not drive anyone around. However, what can I do back there that would be visually pleasing?

2) Get really stiff springs and shocks.

If I get REALLY stiff springs, will that help. I could drop the front and leave th rear as it is, but with really stiff springs. I realize that the stiffer the springs, the bumpier the ride but you get inscreased performence in turns and stuff.

3) Flare out my fenders.

I could just widen them a bit, so the tires don't hit. However, it might looks funny.

4) Just get new rims that are meant to fit the 3 series.

I really don't want to do this at all. I love the look, but if the above options wont work, I guess I'll have too.

Please add more if you have any ideas.

07-15-2003, 04:51 AM
the honest truth is to get a proper rim. there is nothing wrong with having staggered wheels. the main issue is the offset or the fitment. it is possible to run 9" wide wheels in the back of your car, u just need to have the proper offset.

07-15-2003, 09:09 AM
yeah, the offset is way off if the wheels were meant for a 5.

07-15-2003, 12:39 PM
What is fender rolling?

07-15-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by UncleJ
What is fender rolling?

They roll the inside of your fenders (Put your hands under your rear wheel well and feel the metal that is sticking out about 1 centimetre.) They will flatten that with a roller because it sticks out a little bit underneath and could be rubbing against your tires. It might work... Take it to a wheel specialist and ask their professional opinion and they will let you know your options!

07-15-2003, 03:47 PM
Are the wheels hitting the fender, or the inner wheel well?
Your choices are either:

1. Buy the proper rims (expensive)
2. Roll your fenders (if that's where it's hitting. I believe it's $70 to $100 to do this)
3. Get better suspension (you should do this anyway :))
4. Install bump stops so the wheel doesn't travel high enough to hit anything.

07-15-2003, 04:02 PM
A wheel shop might be able to change the offset on those rims. Depending on how much is left, they can shave off some material and increase the offset. They would have to look at it first, Cheap Thrills in Milton can do that sort of work.

Or you may have to do a combination of fender rolling and increase offset.

07-15-2003, 07:33 PM
Thanks for your help people.

Where is there a good rim and tire specialist in the Mississauga area?

07-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by UncleJ
Thanks for your help people.

Where is there a good rim and tire specialist in the Mississauga area?

Wheel and Tire Zone know what they are talking about when it comes to anything involving wheels and its surroundings!

07-16-2003, 03:22 AM
Phone #?

07-16-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by UncleJ
Phone #?

(905) 624-1577
1170 Eglinton Avenue East, Mississauga