PDA

View Full Version : Breaking into E36 with Double Locks ... HOW?!?

Justin e36
07-13-2003, 09:46 AM
Okay, so someone broke into my car last night... bastards... LUCKILY they had to move between my car and my brother's SiR ... he has prox sensors on there with his pager... woke him up and paged him.... then his alarm went off and they ran. Had police and everything up in here.

Now, my question is --- how the hell did they get in even though my doors were double locked??! I have a 92 ... so it doesn't have the fuel pump cut off or starter cut off.. it's just the dead bolt in the doors. But even so... how'd they get past that? Any ideas?

Justin E36

blkm3
07-13-2003, 04:54 PM
hey sorry for you break in but at least they didnt get away with the car. But to your question . I was told that only 3series 95 and over have the double lock. This was told to me from a CAA guy. But let me tell you it is really easy to break into a 3 series. I saw the CAA do it to my buddy's car and without a scratch in less than 5 mins . Hope that helps . Should install an alarm like your bro in your car.*wiggle*

bart320i
07-13-2003, 05:05 PM
I don't think this kind of info should be disclosed here on max*th-up*

Justin e36
07-13-2003, 06:27 PM
Hey.. I have an alarm in my car... but I mean, once you're inside... it's not difficult to disable an alarm, or at least steal stuff inside. Ripping out a deck takes around 30 seconds or so... by the time I wake up and run outside, they'd be gone.

blkm3: not sure why the guy from CAA told you that. Double Locks are in the E34's even.

92-93 E36's have Double Locks: You Turn the key once to single lock.. (to 2 O'Clock). Turn it horizontally (to 3 O'Clock) to Double Lock.

The very first Driveaway Protection Systems came out from 9/93 thru 12/93. Whenever the vehicle is locked from the outside, the GM (General Module) sends a 12volt signal to the DME to cancel out injection and ignition. Engine will crank but won't start. Entering a code will also send a signal to the DME to do the same thing as locking the car from the outside.

EWS Version 1 (EWS I) came staring at 1/94 production and added a Starter Immobilization Relay which is connected to your ZKE (Central Locking System), by the on-board computer (if equipped). This disables starter operation, ignition, and fuel injection function from the DME. So whenever you lock your
car from the outside or set a code on the OBC, the relay disables the starter and ignition & injection systems.

EWS Version 2 (EWS II) then came out with a transponder chip inside the key, a transmitter/receiver module, and an EWS module which sends an ISN (Indivdual Serial Number) to the DME and also cancels starter operation.

EWS III is similar to EWS II but without a transmitter/receiver module but the ISN communicates with the K-Bus (body).

EWS 3.3 came with an Algorithm rolling code. Unlike EWS II and III which uses a binary code, EWS 3.3 had something like this: EWS is 2+2 = 4 so DME is 2+2=4. EWS is 4+4=8 so DME is 4+4=8 and so on and so on... EWS is found on the 134 pin DMEs

Anyway... that's how the security works on the E36's... and I have the most primitive version on my e36... but still can't figure out how they could've got past it. The only way on Pre 96 E36's to get past double lock is with signal trapping... (with your alarm).. but I have an aftermarket, and I didn't wire it up to my double lock... (??)

J E36

///deni-boy///
07-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Was there any damages to your door or the key hole?

Justin e36
07-13-2003, 08:14 PM
no damage at all... in fact, since it was morning there was morning dew (fog) all over the car so I was able to see if the car was even touched anywhere.. any finger prints or anything... only a little bit of touch visible at the top of the drivers door... which may just have been a bit of oil smudged there from before.

J E36

///deni-boy///
07-13-2003, 08:43 PM
hmmm that is very weird, these guys must know what they are doing, damn i wish i had skills like that, i wouldnt use them but i would like to have them.

Razkal
07-13-2003, 09:39 PM
I have a few security measures for mine....

1. pager alarm system
2. parked in a locked garage always and if that fails....
3. louisville slugger ready to go...

:)