PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting.

bmwm5lover
07-12-2003, 01:11 AM
Here is whats been happening with my dads Volvo. Sometimes when you press the pedal to accelarate, the car has VERY little power, it BARELY moves, but then when the RPM's rise abit(1500 -2000) it starts accelarating properly. So my dad took the car to his Volvo mechanic (btw if anyone needs a Volvo mechanic, this guy is AMAZING! Deals with 90% Volvo's. Ive seen volvos from the 40's to 2000 there) and he said that since that car is hitting the 340 000 K's mark and hasn been rebuild, it will be a great idea to Sandblast it (Not sure if its called that - basically use sand or something to get rid of stuff inside the engine itself) for around 300$. He also mentioned that it will perform better, return some of the power the car has lost over the years(makes sense), and reduce gas consumption.
SO, what do you guys think? Good idea, or not ?
I need ur feedback on his ASAP!

app
07-12-2003, 07:56 PM
If he can guarantee it'll fix that problem, I'd do it.

Sandblasting is for taking away rust from body work tho.

T-spec
07-12-2003, 08:08 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!*no-no* *no-no* *no-no*

Never sandblast the inside of an engine, You can never get all the sand out of the little casting crevises,and so when you start the engine up the sand grains will eventually come loose and score the internals causing even more damage.

I have never heard of this procedure, and it makes no sence at all, If this is what the mech actually suggested, I would never ever take my car to him!

Not sure when your b-day was, but happy birthday Terry*par-t*

TiemenT
07-12-2003, 08:11 PM
in my country it can be done, but it's illegal though:mad:

bmwm5lover
07-13-2003, 12:09 PM
well im not sure if my dad understood correctly what the mechanic said(his english is not very good), so ill have fo find out exactly what he was talking about.

bmwm5lover
07-13-2003, 12:10 PM
o and thanx T-Spec!

Albertae30
07-14-2003, 03:58 PM
i would say bad bad bad idea sand inside an engine really doesn't sound like a great idea just think about it ..