PDA

View Full Version : Class Action Complaint against York Region Police

EstorilM3
07-11-2003, 10:40 PM
There appears a move afoot to lodge an official *Complaint* (not sure myself exactly what that entails, but it's a good beginning) as a result of Police harassment during the Darknights event.

Here is a link,
http://forums.torontoaccords.com/viewtopic.php?t=12582&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It is on the Toronto Accord Forum. I'm sure that will not make any difference since it appears to be a concerted effort by fellow motorists to stop the nonsense many of you (including myself from time-to-time) have been exposed to.

I understand some of you were pulled over by the Police on the way to the event, and were given tickets for *loud exhaust* (one guy from Windsor got it - sorry I forgot your name), and such...

I was flagged down myself by two cops operating the laser, "Sorry we pulled the wrong car"...not bloody likely I say, since I was the only car in the vicinity - I think they were on a fishing expedition, but found nothing.

In any event, I urge you to e-mail to the guy at ext @hotmail.com, and let him know the circumstances. You do not need to register on the Forum to do so.

Hopefully, this effort may raise a few eyebrows with the cops, politicians, and the media...

ZiMMie
07-12-2003, 12:12 AM
already emailed him. ((AM IN THE ONLY ON FROM MAX THAT GOT HASTLED))
I got pulled over too comin from darknights. first thing he asked me is whos car is this? y he asked cause i was a black drvin a bmw this asshole thought the car was stolen. i was lke DHHHhhh am drvin it. told me not to be smart with him. anyways this asshole try kept goin around my car for about 3X and told me to pop the hood i told him why? this guy started gettin angry so he told me to step out of the car and then he pop the hood he found out it was totally stock hee looked soo disapointed. he gave me back my paper and told me to get the **** out of there..

****in PiG..
IF any cops r readin this...
***F*CK U PIGzzZZ i HaTe U ASSHOLES Wait TILL a crackhead GET U ****ers***

app
07-12-2003, 03:36 AM
Police gotta make their buck too, it's just unfortunate that they feel that they are above the law. It's happened with me, I was transporting 2 12" subs in a plexiglass box, and I got pulled over for a burnt out head light. Gave me major grief, and then said "Enjoy your stereo while you wait for me to write the ticket." And the damn thing wasn't even hooked up! I was transporting it.

Police will always think they're above the law, and give more fortunate/hardworking kids a harder time.

SeRb
07-12-2003, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by ZiMMie

****in PiG..
IF any cops r readin this...
***F*CK U PIGzzZZ i HaTe U ASSHOLES Wait TILL a crackhead GET U ****ers***

if u talk about them like this how can u expect them to respect you :confused:

notjoe
07-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by app
Police gotta make their buck too, it's just unfortunate that they feel that they are above the law. It's happened with me, I was transporting 2 12" subs in a plexiglass box, and I got pulled over for a burnt out head light. Gave me major grief, and then said "Enjoy your stereo while you wait for me to write the ticket." And the damn thing wasn't even hooked up! I was transporting it.

Police will always think they're above the law, and give more fortunate/hardworking kids a harder time.

Good point, generally if you show them a little respect you get some in return from them, act like an asshole and they'll do the same and write you up for every single thing they can

ZiMMie
07-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by SeRb
if u talk about them like this how can u expect them to respect you :confused:

Well as soon as he waved me over he started being rude to me. so i said well f*cked that am gonna be rude back.. dont really care if he respect me or not he wasted a good 20min of my lifetime.

SeRb
07-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by ZiMMie
Well as soon as he waved me over he started being rude to me. so i said well f*cked that am gonna be rude back.. dont really care if he respect me or not he wasted a good 20min of my lifetime.

well whats so hard about being respectful, by being disrespectful ur only going down to his level right?

and who knows, maybe if u were nice to him he might have changed his attitude

Adriano
07-14-2003, 04:06 PM
Windsor318is is the guy that got busted for too loud of an exhaust which is bullshit. I PMed him about this. Him and I were driving about 10km over, minding our own and a cop decides 'oh nice red bimmer, and, oh look, your friend has one too, guess I'll pull both of you in.' I asked why I am being pulled in and first he said that we were speeding, then he says that he is doing an 'enviromental emmisions check', then he gave me a different reason. He gave Windsor318 (Al) a ticked for muffler and was about to screw me for my nitrous when I threatened him with court for invasion of privacy and harassment. The bastard took pictures of my engine and wasn't too pleased when I told him to send me the pictures for my show booklet. Another cop asked me if I had cats and went under my car to check. :moon: Had to get his greasy hair full of shit from the road when he looked under my car. Don't these guys have anything better to do?? Isn't this entrapment?

app
07-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Is there a specific db level that the exhaust has to be under? My exhaust is a tad loud and can really echo off buildings in the right conditions. If I get pulled over, I'd really like to know what the laws are.

windsor318is
07-14-2003, 05:58 PM
just sent that guy an email of my incident, i really hope they do something about the york region police, cause that is enough for alot of people to NEVER attend the DK show again.

EstorilM3
07-14-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Adriano
Windsor318is is the guy that got busted for too loud of an exhaust which is bullshit. I PMed him about this. Him and I were driving about 10km over, minding our own and a cop decides 'oh nice red bimmer, and, oh look, your friend has one too, guess I'll pull both of you in.' I asked why I am being pulled in and first he said that we were speeding, then he says that he is doing an 'enviromental emmisions check', then he gave me a different reason. He gave Windsor318 (Al) a ticked for muffler and was about to screw me for my nitrous when I threatened him with court for invasion of privacy and harassment. The bastard took pictures of my engine and wasn't too pleased when I told him to send me the pictures for my show booklet. Another cop asked me if I had cats and went under my car to check. :moon: Had to get his greasy hair full of shit from the road when he looked under my car. Don't these guys have anything better to do?? Isn't this entrapment?

I'm not a lawyer, like I said to you at the show, but *entrapment* would entail you doing something in the presence of the police (in uniform or undercover) possibly illegal that you would not normally do.

I think what was happening at the show was that the cops were harassing people by pulling them over for no just cause (sure, they may have been an occasional idiot who was speeding or such, but that was probably rare considering the number of people who were stoped), and were on a *fishing expedition*.

Rather than pull someone over for something obvious, what they were doing, by-and-large, was pulling cars over based on pre-conceived notions, and looking for reasons/excuses to give the drivers a ticket - a ticket often times based on suspect evidence or pretext - example; what is a loud exhaust? Where does it say in the HTA at what decibels an exhaust becomes *too loud*, AND where was the meter for measuring the sound?

It was all based on the whims of the cop at the time, AND as such (not being a technically viable inspection or evidence in the Court) should be thrown out of Court right away.

But, watch - the Justice of the Peace (in front of which such cases are heard, and not in front of the Judge), in collusion with the cops will convict the alleged law breaker.

It also helps the Crown that most of us motorists get intimidated by the whole procedure, and don't fight for the our rights.

Like I said to you, it helps to have a copy of the Highway Traffic Act, and a couple of other small Acts (all availabe over the Internet - just type in Highway Traffic Act in Google) to understand what your rights are, and what the cops can enforce, and what they cannot.

Jon@Bimmersport
07-14-2003, 11:54 PM
cops who dont have anything better to do but hassle car enthusiasts should be fired..i respect the fact that they keep an eye out and try to do their job, but harrasing is not involved or a perk of the job...as much as u think cops are "****ing bastards" the same cop who gives u a ticket for no cat, or speeding, could one day save your life..which is why respect is a good thing to give...well thats what i was taught

app
07-15-2003, 01:27 AM
You want bs? Check this in the HTA.

Signs, objects, etc.

73. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,

(a) with any sign, poster or other non-transparent material or object placed on the windshield or on any window of such motor vehicle; or

(b) with any object placed in, hung on or attached to the motor vehicle,

in a manner that will obstruct the driver's view of the highway or any intersecting highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (1).

So if you have any kind of crap hanging from your mirror, you're toast. Not that I would, but it just goes to show how far a cop can screw you over.

EstorilM3
07-15-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by app
You want bs? Check this in the HTA.

Signs, objects, etc.

73. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,

(a) with any sign, poster or other non-transparent material or object placed on the windshield or on any window of such motor vehicle; or

(b) with any object placed in, hung on or attached to the motor vehicle,

in a manner that will obstruct the driver's view of the highway or any intersecting highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (1).

So if you have any kind of crap hanging from your mirror, you're toast. Not that I would, but it just goes to show how far a cop can screw you over.

LOL...actually, that's part of the HTA I agree with!
It helps to see where you're going when on the road, AND see others too.

But, not to worry, you can still have your fuzz balls or cubes or whatever...:) :) :)

And it's not *any kind of crap* - as long as it doesn't obstruct the view or is in good taste (LOL!!!), you're fine...

Adriano
07-15-2003, 11:57 AM
EstorilM3, thanks again for all the info. I think that you would make a great living for law consulting as I said to you at the show!

WASABI
07-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Sorry to go OT, but did you guys see this:

Horse racing on highway

173. No person shall race or drive furiously any horse or other animal on a highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 173.

:D

EstorilM3
07-15-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by WASABI
Sorry to go OT, but did you guys see this:

Horse racing on highway

173. No person shall race or drive furiously any horse or other animal on a highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 173.

:D

Yeah, I saw that.

Must be a problem in the countryside, and most likely hails from the cowboy frontier days...wonder if the horse has have amber corners or are clears OK...hmmmm...

Mr seville
07-15-2003, 02:15 PM
http://192.75.156.68/DBLaws/Statutes/English/90h08_e.htm#P2575_301560

heres a copy of the traffic act