PDA

View Full Version : E36 M3 SMG instrument cluster

SickFinga
07-11-2003, 12:09 AM
Just stumbled upon this photo, ive never seen E36 SMG instrument cluster before.

MP328
07-11-2003, 12:13 AM
and mr. "that's photochopped" ur sure that's a real one ????

Jon@MPerformance
07-11-2003, 12:24 AM
Well it has to be real. The first version of SMG did come out on the Euro E36 M3 3.2L engine as an option.

Soldo
07-11-2003, 12:38 AM
Ya i dunno if that speedo is chopped however, i don't like how BMW scrapped the FUEL consumption meter, i found that VERY beneficial!

bart320i
07-11-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
Ya i dunno if that speedo is chopped however, i don't like how BMW scrapped the FUEL consumption meter, i found that VERY beneficial!

I don't think people that have those car care too much about measuring their fuel economy:D

qimis
07-11-2003, 01:21 AM
anyone knows how does that SMG works ? it doesn't comes w/ the shifter on the steering wheel right ? does the ///M light comes on when you hit 250 km/h ? or red line ?

SickFinga
07-11-2003, 01:30 AM
Soldomatic, why do you need a fuel consumption needle there when your cars has 3 fuel consumption gauges beside that one?
Also Euro M3s do not have that needle they have oil temperature gauge there, which is way more beneficial than stupid gas consumption gauge.
M light on euro M3s comes one when you need to shift to 6th gear(that's what i read in european magazine). I don't know how it works on SMG. I guess it just shows you when to upshift

cnj328iC
07-11-2003, 02:12 AM

The M3 didnt come with a fuel consumption gauge, in place of it is an oil temp gauge.

-Al

Soldo
07-11-2003, 05:40 AM
This looks like its from an E36 SMG M3, i believe the E46 M3's are SLIGHTLY different with the guages, and i don't understand why they put an oil temp. guage when on the new M3's there is a RPM limiter at certain RPM's when the cars cold, so when you turn it on you can only take the car to 3g's rpm, and as it gets warmer you can go higher and higher till its at running temp. i read that in a magazine!

djcontra
07-11-2003, 12:54 PM
This looks like its from an E36 SMG M3, i believe the E46 M3's are SLIGHTLY different with the guages

That's because it IS an e36m3 smg cluster :idea:

(sorry, couldn't resist :))

SickFinga
07-11-2003, 03:25 PM
This looks like its from an E36 SMG M3, i believe the E46 M3's are SLIGHTLY different with the guages, and i don't understand why they put an oil temp. guage when on the new M3's there is a RPM limiter at certain RPM's when the cars cold, so when you turn it on you can only take the car to 3g's rpm, and as it gets warmer you can go higher and higher till its at running temp. i read that in a magazine!

damn soldomatic, and you say you never smoked weed.

It is E36 M3 SMG I. I twas an option on e36 SMG since 97 I think.
Why they have oil temeperature gauge? Cause back then, they didn't come up with that adjustable red-line. Also oil temperature willl say you more then adjustable redline.

P.S. e46 m3 still has oil temerature gauge

Soldo
07-11-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
Just stumbled upon this photo, ive never seen E36 SMG instrument cluster before.

*shiner* DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Well.............. I'M AN IDIOT!!!
I guess it woulda helped if i learned how to READ every once in a while!!!
My bad you guys!

djcontra
07-11-2003, 04:54 PM
*shiner* DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Well.............. I'M AN IDIOT!!!
I guess it woulda helped if i learned how to READ every once in a while!!!
My bad you guys!

That's ok. We understand how hard it is to read when your eyes are like this http://www.herbal-smoke.com/pics/eye1.gif :D

moregothanshow
07-11-2003, 05:36 PM
i doubt this is real...the odometer is a bit crooked, and the smg display seems like it is sitting in front of the tach, plus it looks a bit too clear/dark, as the rest of the pic seems like it is a bit blurred...plus it isnt center to the tach.... someone tell me if i am the only one that notices this....

djcontra
07-11-2003, 06:13 PM
It's real. I've seen other pictures before and it looked the same.
It's just the lighting that makes it look sort of fake.

SickFinga
07-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by moregothanshow
i doubt this is real...the odometer is a bit crooked, and the smg display seems like it is sitting in front of the tach, plus it looks a bit too clear/dark, as the rest of the pic seems like it is a bit blurred...plus it isnt center to the tach.... someone tell me if i am the only one that notices this....

it is real

djcontra
07-11-2003, 08:29 PM
what *I* want to know, is how they managed to take such a clear shot while going that fast???
Maybe it was on a dyno, but I know at those speeds in my car the whole thing shakes like crazy!

SickFinga
07-11-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
what *I* want to know, is how they managed to take such a clear shot while going that fast???
Maybe it was on a dyno, but I know at those speeds in my car the whole thing shakes like crazy!

yeah same question i ask my self.
first i thought camara is set on top of the steering wheel, but you cann see the wheel in the photo.
But maybe it was taking on the autobahn, never been in germany, but i bet they don't have potholes and cracks on their highways.

djcontra
07-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
yeah same question i ask my self.
first i thought camara is set on top of the steering wheel, but you cann see the wheel in the photo.
But maybe it was taking on the autobahn, never been in germany, but i bet they don't have potholes and cracks on their highways.

Even so, I was doing about 220+km/h in my e36 up north and the country roads were near pefect. It was the wind resistance which caused my whole car to shake. maybe the ///M aerodynamics are better :confused:

SickFinga
07-11-2003, 08:58 PM
hmmm my car is pretty steady at 220.

Gamite
07-11-2003, 09:05 PM
I dont think this car was even moving when the photo was taken. Its a professional photo, and there is no daylight shining into the cockpit. BMW probably altered the gauges for the photo.

djcontra
07-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Just for fun, NOW it's moving :D