PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Gurus; How does the airbag deploy?

djcontra
07-10-2003, 05:48 PM
I need to do attach the proper adapter to my airbag wires so that my new steering wheel will be able to use the airbag enclosed within it. The two E36's I own use different shaped clips (one orange and one blue), so I plan on swapping them between the cars. I'm wondering though, how does the airbag deploy? Is it a certain electrical voltage that goes through the wires to tell the bag to pop out, or are the lines recieving no power at all until a crash sensor is triggered?
I just don't want to hook it all up and have it explode in my face when I turn on the car, that's all.

thanks

sadda///M
07-10-2003, 06:03 PM
crash sensors (setup to receive impact at diff angles and pre-set speed) of course triggers the deployment of the air bag.
btw, word of caution: screwing around with the airbag may be illegal if you're not a pro or license to work on it. better check with proper authorities.

Gamite
07-10-2003, 06:16 PM
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/airbag.htm

djcontra
07-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by sadda///M
word of caution: screwing around with the airbag may be illegal if you're not a pro or license to work on it. better check with proper authorities.

90% of my every day life is doing illegal things, so why would this stop me :D
Thanks for the warning though. I'll take my chances with it. I guess I'll start splicing and testing with a multimeter before I connect everything. So far the swap went successfully with the wheels, but this is the last step in the conversion.
I'll wear facial protection in case it deploys hehe