PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Carbon Fiber hood......

98323IS
07-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Okay, doing a little bit of work to my car, and the hood needs painting (TONS of stone chips etc. etc.) so instead of paying to have it painted, I am just going to get a carbon fiber hood. My car is black, so it will look okay. So who here knows a bit about them? From what I have heard, VIS makes a really good one with great fit and finish. So who here knows where and how much I can get one?? It needs to be in Ontario though, don't wanna pay shipping! Thanks again all,

Brad

SpoolinS6
07-10-2003, 02:05 AM
try evolution racing
or performance improvements!

jeremy
07-10-2003, 02:49 AM
i dont know of anyone in toronto other than BC auto....i had mine shipped from bmp in texas...

Bad-Man-Wagon
07-10-2003, 12:17 PM
I work for a company that designs sport cars (24 hrs Le Mans, Cart, etc.).... we have a carbon fibre department, in house. I looked into how much a carbonfibre hood will cost for my buddy, and you won't like what I have to say. First of all the most expensive part is creating a mould. So for 1 hood it will cost you about $15 000. Now if there were several peopl with the same hood, the price would obvoiusly be shared. Now keep in mind, that the hood out there that you can but for like $300 are very unsafe. Your hood is designed with bucking points, so in case of an accident the hood will buckle and absorb energy. In the case of carbon fibre, to this date, no one can predict the failure points. There have been times where people with carbon fibre hoods got into accidents, the hood went straight through the windshield, and cut the peoples heads off. So, in conclusion, unless you are willing to spend around $2000 (as a group buy), I would stick to the stock hood.

-Edin

mpower1226
07-10-2003, 12:21 PM
I think autotechnica's friend was selling the CF hood for e36. send autotechnica a pm.

WASABI
07-10-2003, 02:13 PM
M52_alpina had one or two, he may still have them.

chitown
07-10-2003, 03:01 PM
There have been times where people with carbon fibre hoods got into accidents, the hood went straight through the windshield, and cut the peoples heads off.

Whoa, that's pretty crazy, heh

Autotechnica
07-11-2003, 01:38 PM
thanks Dave :)

I've got some good quality CF hoods for $850 CDN. I had a group buy going on not too long ago but people couldn't come up with the money. Anyways, I can't find the pics right now, but I posted them a while back, if anyone's got em please post it for me.

Thanks!

Bry

Soldo
07-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Bad-Man-Wagon
to this date, no one can predict the failure points. There have been times where people with carbon fibre hoods got into accidents, the hood went straight through the windshield, and cut the peoples heads off. So, in conclusion, unless you are willing to spend around $2000 (as a group buy), I would stick to the stock hood.

-Edin WHOA!!!!
Are you serious?!?!?!
I always thought that, it just doesn't seem like a good idea to replace something that was DESIGNED to save your life!

Autotechnica
07-11-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
WHOA!!!!
Are you serious?!?!?!
I always thought that, it just doesn't seem like a good idea to replace something that was DESIGNED to save your life!

I agree, that's why I've put off on getting the CF hood for my car. But you'd have to be in a real high speed colision to have a hood chop your head off. I still don't know how true that is. I always thought CF acts like Fiberglass upon impact, it explodes into many peices. I've heard way too many different opinions on this subject, hard to know what's true and what isn't.

Bry

thinair
07-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Bad-Man-Wagon
There have been times where people with carbon fibre hoods got into accidents, the hood went straight through the windshield, and cut the peoples heads off.

No offense, but where do you get your information?:confused:

I have never even heard of anything like that even remotely be mentioned with carbon fibre use on a hood. If anything the front if the hood will crumble and the rest will fold in half. Carbon fibre isn't inox ginsu knife metal. It's not going to stay in one piece after a frontal accident and penetrate through the front windshield (which is a sheet of plastic sandwiched in two sheets of tempered glass, and is set at like a 30 angle), and then still cut peoples heads off.

I don't mean to sound rude, I just wanna clear some stuff up. Prove me wrong if you want.

Autotechnica
07-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by thinair
No offense, but where do you get your information?:confused:

I have never even heard of anything like that even remotely be mentioned with carbon fibre use on a hood. If anything the front if the hood will crumble and the rest will fold in half. Carbon fibre isn't inox ginsu knife metal. It's not going to stay in one piece after a frontal accident and penetrate through the front windshield (which is a sheet of plastic sandwiched in two sheets of tempered glass, and is set at like a 30 angle), and then still cut peoples heads off.

I don't mean to sound rude, I just wanna clear some stuff up. Prove me wrong if you want.

Thank you!

God, I was recently at a BMW meet and I heard quite a few people discussing this. They were talking about this exact thing. I don't know where people got this crazy idea that CF hoods would chop your head off. It sounds totally ridiculous! Probably someone on here posted that fact and people just automatically started believeing it. Shouldn't believe everything you hear/read. Thanks for clearing that up.

Bry

Soldo
07-12-2003, 05:19 AM
HAHAHAHA, true, when i first read that i thought it sounded like something from FINAL DESTINATION 3, but it makes sense about the point that it doesn't crumple properly, true, PROPERLY designed carbon fiber should work just as good as a hood if not better if properly designed as stated which would make the price well over a few g's!!

thinair
07-12-2003, 03:20 PM
Remember, generally steel hoods are stronger then carbon fibre hoods. Many/most carbon fibre hoods can't even be used with hood shocks because the chance of them folding in half or of the hinge or shock mounting points pulling out is so great.

That said I still want a Mashaw carbon fibre hood one day*th-up*
but I doubt it will happen, my $1200 could be potentionally better spent somewhere else on the car that would make more of a difference. (Keeping in mind that if I was to get a cf hood, it would be painted to match the car, so I wouldn't get it for asthetics.)

moregothanshow
07-12-2003, 07:38 PM
sorrie, but if i spent $1200 for that carbon fiber hood, i'd "allshownogo" it anyday....
hahahhah....

T-spec
07-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Just to clarify some stuff for you guys:

First of all Carbon fiber hoods are not really all carbon fibre! They use one layer of carbon for the top sheet just for the LOOK ,and build up the rest of it with fiberglass,

To build a c/f hood it would take at least 8 layers of 5ounce cloth which would run about $700-$800 just for the fabric then add the cost of the 2 part epoxy $200-$300.

The characteristics of c/f would not allow it to"fly through the window and cut off your head" True it is very strong, but the thicker it is built up the less flexible it is. In the event of an impact it would just shatter into many little pieces.

98323IS
07-13-2003, 04:57 PM
Okay I got one........it's a VIS and it's brand new, for $750. I'll be pickin it up soon hopefully. Just another quick question, how hard is it to paint them body colour?? I don't want to do it if it's going to be a pain in the butt, I was just wondering that's all. Anyone ever done this before?