PDA

View Full Version : Expert advice needed please


greekthang
07-09-2003, 01:08 PM
Hi guys,

I am looking in to doing an engine swap on my car. I have my eye on a M3 motor from the states (California) and my mechanic said he will be able to convert it also to OBD 1 and them he will be changing the intake plenum, intake and computer. He said I should have around 265hp at the flywheel. It will be going into my 328is but the diff and tranny stay stock for now. My question is what kind of 0-60 and ľ mile times will I be looking at in comparison to now. My car now is bone stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated
*wiggle*

Peter1998
07-09-2003, 03:52 PM
should be around low 14(M3) vs low 15(328is)

greekthang
07-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Peter1998
should be around low 14(M3) vs low 15(328is)

Also don't forget about the OBD 1 conversion which should give me an additional ~25hp.

moregothanshow
07-10-2003, 12:39 AM
265 is pretty high....what is done to the motor? cuz stock is supposedly 240.... i am also curios how changing over to obdI will give u an extra 25 hp....
Thanks!

moregothanshow
07-10-2003, 12:41 AM
do u mean your gonna do a euro intake mod?!?!

Kal
07-10-2003, 12:44 AM
greekthang

why dont u just invest in a supercharger instead. i'm sure the money wont be worth it for you to convert ur 2.8L engine to an M one.

If ur car was a 318 then i can understand but the choice is ultimately up to you my friend. I say get a supercharger

greekthang
07-10-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by moregothanshow
265 is pretty high....what is done to the motor? cuz stock is supposedly 240.... i am also curios how changing over to obdI will give u an extra 25 hp....
Thanks!

OBD1 conversion changes the intake plenum a new intake tube with filter and computer upgrade which equal out to about 25hp.

Kal I understand what your saying but I would rather set it up this way cause eventually I want to track my car and blowers running at 5000rpm consistant is not a good thing. Maybe when I am done I will do a turbo but I would rather start off with a really good base.

djcontra
07-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Take a moment to assess how much you'll have spent for your car, m3 engine conversion, and all of it's mods. Then ask yourself, is it the same or cheaper to just buy an M3?
If you're doing it for the insurance savings, then it's worth it, but if insurance doesn't matter to you, it might just be worth getting an M3 (if you can get out of the taxes some how).

Soldo
07-10-2003, 05:00 PM
NO i think its a LOT cheaper to just convert a E36 to an M, well actually his 328 musta cost a pretty penny in the first place, but a engine swap like that can't be more that 6-7g's!

djcontra
07-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
NO i think its a LOT cheaper to just convert a E36 to an M, well actually his 328 musta cost a pretty penny in the first place, but a engine swap like that can't be more that 6-7g's!

I guess so. An m3 goes for about $30,000 CDN. If the cost exceeds that ammount, then I would think twice about it.
With the M3, all you would need to do is lower it, and you're done. Maybe slap on some rims if you want too.

greekthang
07-10-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
I guess so. An m3 goes for about $30,000 CDN. If the cost exceeds that ammount, then I would think twice about it.
With the M3, all you would need to do is lower it, and you're done. Maybe slap on some rims if you want too.

I understand pal but you have to understand that this particular motor has 20,000km !!!! Still a baby and I know that no M car period in the autotrader has that low milage

djcontra
07-10-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by greekthang
I understand pal but you have to understand that this particular motor has 20,000km !!!! Still a baby and I know that no M car period in the autotrader has that low milage


Well if you put it that way, go for it dude!!
I wouldn't pass up an engine with that many km's either :)

greekthang
07-10-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
NO i think its a LOT cheaper to just convert a E36 to an M, well actually his 328 musta cost a pretty penny in the first place, but a engine swap like that can't be more that 6-7g's!


SOLDOMATIC 325i my engine swap will cost 10 g's plus my old motor. He has a buyer for it already. 10 g's includes everything motor,install, taxes, labour, new M clutch, fluids plus the OBD1 conversion. I paid $23000 for my car on the road. A really good price and now another 10 g's puts it to 33 g's. Find me an M car with 20,000km on the motor and I will buy it right now

greekthang
07-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
Well if you put it that way, go for it dude!!
I wouldn't pass up an engine with that many km's either :)

Definately going to try for it that's for sure

Soldo
07-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Hey greekthang, i'm on your side for sure, but do you know how much labour is exactly?!
I too am going to be purchasing an M engine and i plan on doing the swap myself, unless the labour wouldn't be so much!

greekthang
07-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
Hey greekthang, i'm on your side for sure, but do you know how much labour is exactly?!
I too am going to be purchasing an M engine and i plan on doing the swap myself, unless the labour wouldn't be so much!

Me and my mechanic will be going into it in more detail today but ballpark I would say around $3000-$3500. You plan on doing it yourself. Pal I would'nt advice it. I have been in my mechanics shop when he was putting one in. The wiring alone takes the guys 1 day to do and there pros at it. Have to make sure the computer talks to the car pal. Very involved and tricky work

Soldo
07-10-2003, 06:03 PM
OH i'm sure it is, but i mean it can't be BRAIN SURGURY!!
and when i do the swap, i'll be taking my sweet ass time, it should take AT LEAST a month and i won't mind, slow and steady so long as i'm doing it right, it can't be THAT tough, since my car is ALREADY OBD I i believe that would complicate things a lot less!

greekthang
07-10-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
OH i'm sure it is, but i mean it can't be BRAIN SURGURY!!
and when i do the swap, i'll be taking my sweet ass time, it should take AT LEAST a month and i won't mind, slow and steady so long as i'm doing it right, it can't be THAT tough, since my car is ALREADY OBD I i believe that would complicate things a lot less!

All the power to you if you can pal. I would rather pay and get it done so I have no worries because if something does go wrong and it most certainly will you will have to have it looked at by a pro and for them to trace back what you have done and havenít done will cost a fortune thatís why I would rather pay up front no worries and let them worry about it but hey if you do it yourself all the power to you !!!!!!!

TiemenT
07-10-2003, 08:44 PM
yeah man, just do it !

BMWF1
07-21-2003, 04:33 AM
I kinda side with DJcontra, so what if the engine has 20k's theres a difference, in suspension, brakes, exterior, interior, tranny, diff, even the seats are different....so its not really a M3, you might as well sell it and get the whole deal with a few more clicks then 20, it will cost you a ton, to do everything, interior, exterior, etc,etc,etc,etc. I mean if this isn't even a 328IS then the feel is not going to be the same to a M3 because of suspension. Also it is different in wieght because of the different materials used on the M3 that aren't there on the 328.....well, thats just my opion I dont have any k's to be doing engine swaps.