PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter, any other beside OEM?


WASABI
07-08-2003, 01:53 PM
For those that change their own oil, I assume you guys use the OEM filter from the dealer? Or are there others you guys use? What does Mr. Lube or other oil change shops use?

djcontra
07-08-2003, 02:31 PM
I use a FRAM Oil filter from canadian tire. I think it's $11 to buy one, but they usually have to order it =/

Soldo
07-08-2003, 03:04 PM
i used to get my filters from NAPA but i found that its actually cheaper going through the dealer!

Autotechnica
07-08-2003, 03:29 PM
I use either Fram or Mann filters. I don't think it really matters. Don't bother to waste your money on stuff like K&N high performance oil filters, wtf is a "high performance" oil filter anyways?

Bry

SpoolinS6
07-08-2003, 03:36 PM
i heard the high performance ones filter out the particles better not sure if this is true or not!

Soldo
07-08-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I use either Fram or Mann filters. I don't think it really matters. Don't bother to waste your money on stuff like K&N high performance oil filters, wtf is a "high performance" oil filter anyways?

Bry
:D
are you serious, SHOOT MAN, if your planin on trackin at shanonville WITHOUT a K&N HIGH PERFOMANCE OIL FILTER, you might as well just stay home, :rolleyes: , i never understood that garbage either, i mean nowadays people will buy ANYTHING if the words "HIGH PERFORMANCE" are on it, just wait, when i dyno my car after i install my HIGH PERFORMANCE FILTER/WIPER BLADES/OIL CAP/DIPSTICK, i should AT LEAST get a 34-41 WHP gain!!!

But on a serious note, i'm sure there are slight differences with OEM filters and FRAM filters, not in terms of performance, but in terms of durability, longevity, quality etc.

djcontra
07-08-2003, 03:43 PM
M_powered is correct. The racing oil filters block out more particles, but also work under greater pressures.

WASABI
07-08-2003, 05:28 PM
How much are the Fram and Mann filters?

Last time I bought an oil filter from the dealer, it cost almost $20 with the taxes. Just becuase it's OEM, does it mean it's better?

djcontra
07-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by WASABI
How much are the Fram and Mann filters?

Last time I bought an oil filter from the dealer, it cost almost $20 with the taxes. Just becuase it's OEM, does it mean it's better?

$20 isn't bad. I think I paid $11 + tax from canadian tire for a FRAM one.
I would have to say that the filters are the same. Fram being a big name doesn't make crappy filters, so they probably meet or exceed OEM standards.

WASABI
07-08-2003, 06:07 PM
Yes, but a lot of aftermarket companies claim that their product meet or exceeds OEM quality, but what percentage actually does that?

You don't think $20 is a bit much,when I can get oil and filter for my honda for that much. BMW does stand for Break My Wallet! :)

Autotechnica
07-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Ok wait,

DJ, what is a "racing oil filter"?

I wasn't aware that when your on the race track there were more particles of dirt that needed to be filtered. What's the difference between driving the car hard and just driving on the city streets when it comes to oil filtration? The oil filters still perform the same tasks.

The only thing you could add-on to make it a "racing oil filter" is maybe slap on a oil cooler. I think that's also a waste of money as the oil passes through the filter so quickly, the oil cooler does not have time to dissapate the heat anyways.

It is possible that K&N oil filters may last double the time of a normal filter. But at $10 or less I might as well just replace the filter every oil change.

Wasabi,

you can get Fram filters from Crappy Tire, I get Mann filters from Charlie :)

Bry

djcontra
07-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Ok wait,

DJ, what is a "racing oil filter"?

I wasn't aware that when your on the race track there were more particles of dirt that needed to be filtered. What's the difference between driving the car hard and just driving on the city streets when it comes to oil filtration? The oil filters still perform the same tasks.

Bry

From Fram's site:

FRAM RACING OIL FILTER

Heavy-duty steel body construction to resist high pressure surges and external impact. Low-restriction racing media designed for high oil flow. Spiral-shaped centertube to provide protection against collapse. Heavy gauge steel tapping plate to withstand high pressure flexing. Screen-over bypass valve to provide additional protection against larger contaminants.

I'd be really skeptical if it really does anything for a street car though. And I guess I was wrong about the particle size too.

Soldo
07-08-2003, 07:32 PM
ya but our oil filters are different in comparisson to the CANED filters, which is what i think fram is talking about, i'd just stick it out and go OEM!

djcontra
07-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
ya but our oil filters are different in comparisson to the CANED filters, which is what i think fram is talking about, i'd just stick it out and go OEM!

oh shit, then I copied the wrong info.
Either way, you can spend $11+tax and get an aftermarket filter, or $20+tax for an OEM one.
It's your $10, you can spend it how you want, but I'm not going to pay more for something that isn't any better.

85eta
07-09-2003, 04:30 AM
I get my oem filters for 5 bucks?

WASABI
07-09-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by 85eta
I get my oem filters for 5 bucks?

$5 ? :eek: Where? I assume the filters are different between the e30 and e36 though.

The OEM filter (e36) is actually $15+tax, not $20+tax :), I mentioned that it was close to $20 with taxes and all.

I'd like to compare OEM, Fram, and Mann filters. Do you think if I put the used oil under a microscope, I'd see a difference?

What if the OEM is actually made by Fram or Mann?:confused:

85eta
07-09-2003, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WASABI
[B]$5 ? :eek: Where? I assume the filters are different between the e30 and e36 though.


well, this is back home in BC where I have connections! I cant get them for that out here