PDA

View Full Version : A/C stopped working


braindamage
07-07-2003, 02:50 PM
OK. My A/C in car has stopped working. I think it needs to be recharged. Is there any places I can take my car too? If not, I am going to a dealer this week.

djcontra
07-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Most mechanic shops (like midas, meineke, crappy tire) etc can refill it for you for about $35 (at least that's what it cost me just recently).
I would suggest getting a leak test as well. The leak test will be about $90 but you'll find out why your freon leaked out, and how much it'll cost to fix it. The freon should never leak out.

braindamage
07-07-2003, 03:12 PM
I am afraid of a leak in a expenive part the system. The A/C was working fine last summer and I stored the car for winter. I spoke to the dealer and they charge about 150.00 for a complete test of the A/C system.

djcontra
07-07-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by braindamage
I am afraid of a leak in a expenive part the system. The A/C was working fine last summer and I stored the car for winter. I spoke to the dealer and they charge about 150.00 for a complete test of the A/C system.

$150 isn't too bad, because it covers purging and refilling the freon as well as the dye test (and of course labour).
I would shop around a bit though sicne I got mine done for $90 as a promotion. I figure there might be a shop offering close to that or less than $150 at least.

Hopefully in your case it's just a seal that has dried up and can be replaced. In my case, my compressor was leaking, but luckily I got a replacement for much less than the $300 for a refurbished one would have been.

Jon@Bimmersport
07-07-2003, 09:36 PM
heres an easy way to fix it..take it out, save weight and gain a bit more power :D

djcontra
07-08-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by E46_lover
heres an easy way to fix it..take it out, save weight and gain a bit more power :D

if only it were so easy and practicle. I can't believe how much a/c components weigh! Even the compressor I bought recently must weigh at least 25lbs or more. I can only imagine how much the condenser, and some of the other parts weigh.

moregothanshow
07-08-2003, 01:52 AM
i heard that if u take out the complete a/c system u wont have heat either.... i was thinking of doing it since my a/c doesnt work...but someone on this board said i'd loss my heat also, and u cant not have heat....even if it is a summer car...some nights just get colder than u expect...

djcontra
07-08-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by moregothanshow
i heard that if u take out the complete a/c system u wont have heat either.... i was thinking of doing it since my a/c doesnt work...but someone on this board said i'd loss my heat also, and u cant not have heat....even if it is a summer car...some nights just get colder than u expect...

I think that's true. I saw the condenser unit for the E36 and it's HUGE! It looks like it takes up the whole center dash area (from behind it of course).
I might have been looking at something else, or the condenser is inside the huge part I saw, but my guess is it's all one piece. Blower, heater, and condenser, all-in-one.

Jon@Bimmersport
07-08-2003, 02:11 AM
thats why u guys got heated seats

sonic07
07-08-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by djcontra
if only it were so easy and practicle. I can't believe how much a/c components weigh! Even the compressor I bought recently must weigh at least 25lbs or more. I can only imagine how much the condenser, and some of the other parts weigh.

the old mechanics used to tell me round it off close to 400 lbs ... now adays i guess would be lighter ... that's almost like 2.5 persons .... get off my car ....lol ....