PDA

View Full Version : to stagger or not to stagger..

jeremy
07-06-2003, 06:21 PM
i would like to hear some pros and cons of using a staggered wheel setup as opposed to a traditional setup...any help would be greatly appreciated..

thanks*th-up*

jeremy
07-06-2003, 06:28 PM
*th-up*

Albertae30
07-06-2003, 06:57 PM
it looks good with some wheels and doesn't with others it depends on the wheel in my opinion

e30mpowerd
07-06-2003, 07:29 PM
what u think it's good do it mate

notjoe
07-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by jeremy
*th-up*

What are the pros/cons (keep the looks aside)

bart320i
07-06-2003, 08:17 PM
correct me if I'm wrong but I thought staggerd wheel set up is for high HP rear rear wheel cars so that you get more traction to the rear wheels with minimal weight up front. I don't know any cons, I would guess that you would need a different type of alighment or some thing

jeremy
07-06-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by bart320i
correct me if I'm wrong but I thought staggerd wheel set up is for high HP rear rear wheel cars so that you get more traction to the rear wheels with minimal weight up front. I don't know any cons, I would guess that you would need a different type of alighment or some thing

i was told that unless your runnin' around 400+hp it doesnt make that much of a difference...but some of the hot rod guy's i know disagree and say it will improve handling regardless of hp. i know it looks good....but i am more interested in how it performs.

jeremy
07-07-2003, 01:23 AM
bump

thinair
07-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Running staggered will increase the cars tendancy to understeer, you won't be able to rotate the tires from front to back (or side to side if running directional tires).

From what I've been told, running the same width tires/wheels all around on our cars will give your car way better handling then staggered, especially because the weight distribution is pretty even from front to back already, so why not have the same shaped tire contact patch (roughly).

I think that logically you can accelerate harder out of corners before the tires break loose, but that wouldn't offset the practicality of a non-staggered setup, although staggered does look damn cool.

If you plan on just cruising, or doing some drag racing, go staggered, if you plan on hitting a track with corners, or want more balanced handling, go non-staggered.

My 2

djcontra
07-07-2003, 05:24 PM
Didn't the E36 M3 come with a staggered setup?
I think 8.5" in the rear and 7.5" up front.
If BMW feels it's ok, then it can't be too bad.
I trust their engineering quite a lot...can't say much for their styling department now though :D

jeremy
07-07-2003, 08:52 PM
i beleive the e36 m3 did come with a staggered setup.

Jon@Bimmersport
07-07-2003, 09:45 PM
yup..E36 M3's did have a staggared set up i think for the M3's with luxo or sports pkg..i think sports

moregothanshow
07-08-2003, 01:16 AM
all e36 m3 have stagrared wheels except for the 95's mainly. actually i think it depends on which wheels u bought from factory. the only set that is not staggered is the 10 double spokes. not to be mistaken for the 10 double spoke II's, which are on the 96 up M3's. i hope that covers it.... but yeah thinair pretty much covered i think the main issues with staggered wheels.

thinair
07-08-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by djcontra
Didn't the E36 M3 come with a staggered setup?
I think 8.5" in the rear and 7.5" up front.
If BMW feels it's ok, then it can't be too bad.
I trust their engineering quite a lot...can't say much for their styling department now though :D

BMW purposely set up the car staggered with 225's up front and 245's in the rear (from the previous 235 all around) to increase the understeer to keep throttle happy drivers from spinning off the road.

djcontra
07-08-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by thinair
BMW purposely set up the car staggered with 225's up front and 245's in the rear (from the previous 235 all around) to increase the understeer to keep throttle happy drivers from spinning off the road.

Well Jeremy? Are you a ''throttle happy driver'' ?
I guess that'll answer your question whether you should get staggered or not :)

jeremy
07-08-2003, 01:45 AM
Well Jeremy? Are you a ''throttle happy driver'' ?
I guess that'll answer your question whether you should get staggered or not :)

hahaha...........i think i'll just go 16"x9" all the way around...i can always buy a couple 16"x7.5"s later on to try her out...

qimis
07-08-2003, 02:17 AM
sorry guys, but what's staggered and non staggered means :confused: is it like andreNY's tires ?

btw, thinair: which rims did you end up choosing ?

crusher
07-08-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by qimis
sorry guys, but what's staggered and non staggered means :confused: is it like andreNY's tires ?

staggered means that the rims at the front is much less wider than the rear so what djcontra say 8.5" in the rear and 7.5" up front. Basically you will see deep dish at the back heheh

non-staggered are all the same on four rims and you can rotate em up.

Also, there are staggered tires i think but not sure about those. I think the 330 M-sport comes with staggered tires? 225 front 245 back? Can someone confirm this

Problem with staggered setup is that you cant rotate wheels and your rear tires is damn expensive :(

IMHO staggered is much more fun to drive heheh

Jeff

qimis
07-08-2003, 03:34 AM
ah ... i see ... sorry i just didn't know the word for that hehe ... i know the meaning tho :) you mean like this one right ... front 8.5, rear 9.5 ... staggered looks MUCH better IMO

djcontra
07-08-2003, 01:33 PM
ah ... i see ... sorry i just didn't know the word for that hehe ... i know the meaning tho :) you mean like this one right ... front 8.5, rear 9.5 ... staggered looks MUCH better IMO

For sure that car has 9.5" wide rims in the rear? That's good to know since I want to order 9.5" rear rims for my car and I was afraid it wouldn't fit.
Do you know what the measurements on the tires are?

thinair
07-08-2003, 09:19 PM

17x8" BBS RK's*th-up* , unstaggered by the way...
Sorry for the huge pic

moregothanshow
07-08-2003, 09:25 PM
i think if your gonna get 9.5 rear wheels your gonna have to figure out the correct offset... wouldnt tires be shitty expensive for those?

djcontra
07-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by moregothanshow
i think if your gonna get 9.5 rear wheels your gonna have to figure out the correct offset... wouldnt tires be shitty expensive for those?

The wheels I want come in the correct offset for my car. As for the tires..well...that's where sponsors come in to help me out :)

85eta
07-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by thinair
Running staggered will increase the cars tendancy to understeer, you won't be able to rotate the tires from front to back (or side to side if running directional tires).

From what I've been told, running the same width tires/wheels all around on our cars will give your car way better handling then staggered, especially because the weight distribution is pretty even from front to back already, so why not have the same shaped tire contact patch (roughly).

I think that logically you can accelerate harder out of corners before the tires break loose, but that wouldn't offset the practicality of a non-staggered setup, although staggered does look damn cool.

If you plan on just cruising, or doing some drag racing, go staggered, if you plan on hitting a track with corners, or want more balanced handling, go non-staggered.

My 2

thinair, you took the words right out of my mouth, yep you got it, staggered set up, means more understeer. Great description by the way*th-up*

qimis
07-09-2003, 04:02 AM
For sure that car has 9.5" wide rims in the rear? That's good to know since I want to order 9.5" rear rims for my car and I was afraid it wouldn't fit.
Do you know what the measurements on the tires are?

yup, those are 18 x 8.5 front and 18 x 9.5 rear, tires 225/40/18 all around. the tire on the rear are pulling a bit

thinair: they look better than i thought :)

DriveItSideways
07-09-2003, 06:57 PM
how do u get sponsers?

djcontra
07-09-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Blackedout_E36
how do u get sponsers?

It really depends. You basically need to send a picture of your car, or a photoshopped picture of what your car will look like to the company and then they decide whether they should sponsor you or not. A lot of the time you need to have the company's products already on your car for them to sponsor you (which sucks since you already spent money).
Just call up some places, and ask if they're willing to sponsor you or not.
There's a lot more to it, but that's one way.