PDA

View Full Version : What does "software" really do?

///Milk
07-05-2003, 06:22 PM
always been wondering wtf it does!

notjoe
07-05-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by ///Milk
always been wondering wtf it does!

Think of it like this. You go buy new hardware for your computer but to make it work at optimal levels you have to get/upgrade the drivers for it.

So, for example, you buy a CAI and you car can rev higher because of the higher airflow the software will allow for that higher rev to be supported.

just one example

///Milk
07-05-2003, 07:27 PM
oo..ok
i get the idea
but like the "chips" and that stuff also
need some more examples

notjoe
07-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by ///Milk
oo..ok
i get the idea
but like the "chips" and that stuff also
need some more examples

The "software" gets loaded onto the Chip. You replace your stock chip with the chip that has the "upgraded" software. I know it is possible to "burn" chips, which is loading the software onto it and that sometimes you can have chips which you can constantly reprogram (Random Access Memory) vs. chips which you can load software onto only once (Read Only Memory).

So in short the chip is only the medium for the software.

djcontra
07-07-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by notjoe
The "software" gets loaded onto the Chip. You replace your stock chip with the chip that has the "upgraded" software. I know it is possible to "burn" chips, which is loading the software onto it and that sometimes you can have chips which you can constantly reprogram (Random Access Memory) vs. chips which you can load software onto only once (Read Only Memory).

So in short the chip is only the medium for the software.

Actually, all the chips are burnable. They're reprogrammable eeproms that can be reloaded at any time. This is one of the downsides of writing your own chips; people can download them with the proper hardware and make copies...of course that's illegal, but I assume some of the chips on ebay are of that nature

chromius
07-08-2003, 11:29 PM
From what I understand there are several things a chip mod can do, for one it increases the rev limit, it also advances the timming slightly. The other is, that the stock chip holds a table of air fuel ratio's they are not always optimized for performance, because they have to take into account fuel eficiancy and other stuff lilke that. The modified chip changes the tables to have different ratio's. for example at higher revs it will increase fuel delivery to counteract the higher air flow. (Richer mixture) This usually means better power at higher revs. When I installed my chip it also changed my power curve. Stock I had a pretty flat curve starting at about 1800 to 2000 RPM the chip changed that to a pretty sharp curve starting at 3000 RPM but staying high till redline. SO I think I lost a bit of low end power but gaind much more in the higher band. This is just my explanation of it, so correct me if I am wrong.

Actually I have a question about chips too...When it raises the rev limit, how bad is it for the engine to actually go to the new limit, cuz it is well past the factory redline?

TiemenT
07-11-2003, 09:23 PM
can the ///M motors be chiptuned ?

Jon@Bimmersport
07-11-2003, 11:38 PM
yes M motors can be chipped, and the OBD1 M50B30/S50 reacts best for the E36 motors.

\/\/eapon
07-12-2003, 04:24 PM
it will quickin throttle responce, remove govenor, highten the rev limits, etc........

BlackTape
07-13-2003, 01:33 AM
not all chips are created equal....

\/\/eapon
07-13-2003, 02:29 AM
tru tru