PDA

View Full Version : chip recognition

bugkiller
07-03-2003, 06:14 PM
When i bought my 92 325i, the guy said there was a chip in it, but didnt know what kind, so does anyone know if this is a stock chip or a performance chip?

http://www.youthinvestmentprogram.org/car/chip.jpg

Soldo
07-03-2003, 06:37 PM
ya not positive weather or not its a PERFORMANCE chip, but its not a STOCK chip for sure, i'm holing the stock chip RIGHT now as i type, and it looks different then the one you have, i have a TURNER chip in my car and the sticker on the chip says "TURNER" and it has the serial number on it!

bugkiller
07-03-2003, 06:41 PM
Yea i figured if it were a performance chip it would have the brand written all over it. i tried to google the number on it with no results, so im not sure what it is.

djcontra
07-03-2003, 06:48 PM
It doesn't look like a stock chip, nor like any performance chips I've seen.
My guess is that it's either a custom home-made job, or a copy/clone of another chip done by a 3rd party.

bugkiller
07-03-2003, 06:51 PM
so it probably doesnt give the same performance as a AA or Jim C. chip? i guess the only way to tell would be to dyno it, but the only place around where i live is ~$200, so i might as well get a new chip.

if you get a CAI, does your chip need to be reprogrammed? i thought i saw someone say that once, and i am about to get an ECIS intake, so i was hoping someone would know that.

thanks

Soldo
07-03-2003, 06:59 PM
no you do NOT need to reprogram or get a new chip for a CAI or for a EXHAUST either, you would need one if you did any work like CAMS, HEADERS, ETC. at whcih point you will need either a custom chip or a chip designed for those specific aplications!

djcontra
07-03-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by bugkiller
so it probably doesnt give the same performance as a AA or Jim C. chip?

It's next to impossible to tell unless you get the car dyno'd. The chip could be a copy of a Jim C or AA chip, so you never know.
You could always try borrowing a stock chip off of somebody and testing to see if you can ''feel'' a difference.

Autotechnica
07-03-2003, 11:40 PM
My "stock" chip looks the same as this one. Silver sticker w/ some serial number on it. However, I doubt the stock chips are made in Sigapore. Most BMW computer components are made by AMD and are manufactured in Germany as well.

I think you most likely have a copied chip. All you have to do is push the car to redline and see how far it goes. If the redline is higher than stock, you got a performance chip.

Dyno won't prove shit.

Bry