PDA

View Full Version : Shipping question for Downing/Atlanta superchargers

wannabebimmer
07-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Hey.

I'm about to pickup a 318IS and am seriously considering ordering a supercharger kit from downing/atlanta. I was wondering if anyone on the board had one of the kits and how they got them sent up to Toronto? I don't want to get raped by the customs brokerage and duties. Also, I was planning on trying to install the kit myself (even though I just have a basic knowledge of cars), so what were you experiences?

Thanks in advance.

johnoz
07-02-2003, 12:04 AM
Make sure they don't use UPS. They will charge you handling fee by 100%. Call Fed-ex about their fees, whether if they colect taxes etc.

I am about to get wheels & tires from US and leaning towards Fedex.

Good Luck

wannabebimmer
07-02-2003, 12:55 AM
Well i've done a bunch of transactions through the states and fedex is the same thing pretty much. I'm going to see if Jim can ship it via the United States Postal Service (USPS) that way I'm only paying the customs taxes (15%) and no brokerage fee.... its still going to be about $800 alone on this item... ouch.

SickFinga
07-02-2003, 01:04 AM
actually UPS charges about 35 bucks for brokerage fee, FedEx and Canada Post charge 5 bucks.

Rolled_Out
07-02-2003, 02:49 AM
the UPS brokerage fees depends on how much the item is worth..
example i got a CAI from cali4nia it cost 250 usd, and they charged me 88 canadian brokerage fee, then i sold that intake and got the same intake from a different place, it was 192usd and they charged me 72 canadian..

KIRASIR
07-02-2003, 01:18 PM
The shipping/brokerage/taxes is about 800CAD just like Mike said. If you need help installing it, give me a shout.

SL

Originally posted by wannabebimmer
Hey.

I'm about to pickup a 318IS and am seriously considering ordering a supercharger kit from downing/atlanta. I was wondering if anyone on the board had one of the kits and how they got them sent up to Toronto? I don't want to get raped by the customs brokerage and duties. Also, I was planning on trying to install the kit myself (even though I just have a basic knowledge of cars), so what were you experiences?

Thanks in advance.

djcontra
07-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Purolator is the best. They never charge me any fees.

///Greco540
07-02-2003, 02:02 PM
2 words.... WARRANTY REPAIR

burnhard22
07-02-2003, 05:18 PM
It's going to cost you ..whatever the shipping is..and that differs depending on if you use UPS or USPS or FedEx and what kind of service..next day..2 days..etc. Then the weight plays a role.
You will have to pay 7% for customs and the brokerage costs usually covered by UPS or the delivering agent depending on the carrier or broker you use.
Good luck
burnhard22
p.s Downing in GA is only for 4cyc cars. tks

johnoz
07-02-2003, 05:23 PM
OK I just talked to Fedex (since I will be getting my rims from US).

They quoted me $50 cnd and also very helpful BSR directed me to a 'private broker' and he quoted me $80 but also suggested I clear the thing myself from the Brampton once I get the paperwork from Fedex. The value of the goods I am getting are $1200 cdn. He also said the 'only tax' I should be paying was GST. Is this true?
So who here paid 15% tax when getting goods from US?

TIA

Rolled_Out
07-02-2003, 07:08 PM
on some items if you ship AIR (next day or 2 day) your brokerage fee is FREE believe it or not.....
call to find out more
1800 pick ups

///Greco540
07-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Again, if you get it shipped "warranty repair" you don't pay didly squat.

Why go through all that trouble in the first place?

johnoz
07-02-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by ///Greco540
Again, if you get it shipped "warranty repair" you don't pay didly squat.

Why go through all that trouble in the first place?

Excellent tip. I will try with the retailer

SebSter
07-03-2003, 07:02 AM
or you can ship it as a gift, or simply write a cheaper value for the item...ask the retailer if they would do this for you

EstorilM3
07-03-2003, 01:14 PM
A sugggestion...

Considering the cost of the unit, would it not make most sense to drive down to USA (wherever D/A may be - Atlanta?), and have them install it too?

Sure, you're supposed to declare any work that may have been done to your car while outside of CDN, but...

D/A supercharger has some installation problems - things don't always fit as well as people expect - I know of one guy in USA who had problems with installation as well as performance/durability.

You sure you wanna go that route when you are in CDN???

Must be pretty bold!