PDA

View Full Version : What Happens to My Traction Control when i get LSD?

moregothanshow
06-25-2003, 04:51 AM
so like the title states, what happens to my Traction Control when i install a Limited Slip Differential?!?
Thanks!

KIRASIR
06-25-2003, 12:42 PM
Nothing.

It will work the way it works now.

SL

330DTM
06-25-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Nothing.

It will work the way it works now.

SL

Exactly unless you do the traction control delete like what Thinair has done recently.

moregothanshow
06-25-2003, 07:37 PM
but does one cancel out the other?

KIRASIR
06-25-2003, 08:05 PM
They are 2 completely independent things. ASC reduces wheelspin through the application of brakes and throttle while LSD "moves" torque from the spinning wheel to the one with traction. If you apply too much throttle with LSD and brake both tires loose, the ASC will kick in anyway.

If you put LSD on your car then ASC will not kick in as often since your tires will be slipping less with LSD than with open diff. So in a way, LSD will partly cancel ASC, since it won't allow the wheels to spin as much as before.

SL

moregothanshow
06-25-2003, 08:08 PM
ohhhhh....fank u wealy machy!! hahaha jks.... thanks though..... that helped out a lot.....
most likely my last question, maybe..... so is it better to take off my asc if i get lsd?
Thanks!

KIRASIR
06-25-2003, 08:12 PM
Why?

If you are autocrossing, driving on the track, having fun, etc. then you can just turn it off. During the winter for example, you can leave it on and enjoy a headache free driving.

There is no point of removing an expensive and useful feature of your car if it not broken, and doesn't interfere with your daily driving.

SL

Originally posted by moregothanshow
ohhhhh....fank u wealy machy!! hahaha jks.... thanks though..... that helped out a lot.....
most likely my last question, maybe..... so is it better to take off my asc if i get lsd?
Thanks!

moregothanshow
06-25-2003, 08:15 PM
just wondering thanks! now all i need to do is get an lsd, without selling my arm....
Thanks!

thinair
06-26-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by KIRASIR
There is no point of removing an expensive and useful feature of your car if it not broken, and doesn't interfere with your daily driving.

In my opinion, with the whole 15 minutes it took to remove my ASC, and the one time purchase of a $29 intake elbow, I don't think removing it for power reasons in the spring and replacing it in the winter time is a bad idea. The throttle body is only held in with two 10mm bolts and a hose clamp. The ASC delete is totally reversable, just how some people reinstall the stock airbox in the winter....

Yes the ASC can just be turned off, but the ASC throttle body is actually a few millimeters smaller then the regular throttle body. Removing it will increase the engines responsiveness, and give a very slight boost in power (and/or move the power band a little higher)

Also, LSD will not affect ASC at all, if you have both and you floor it in first, ASC will still kick in, if you floor it around a corner or in the rain, it will do it's job. It just resorts to killing the engine power before braking only one rear wheel more often.

Keeping in mine that a factory LSD is only 25% anti-slip, one rear wheel can still spin 4 times faster then the other under hard acceleration (in certain conditions).