PDA

View Full Version : How badly can drifting damage or wear down your car's components?

Autotechnica
06-25-2003, 03:59 AM
I was doing this for 3 days straight in a nice safe controlled area w/ 0 people and 0 cars. It's actually in private properly and the guy that owns the property authorized me to do this. So no illegal stunts being pulled here.

Anyways, here's my question. After beating on my car for a few days driving it around town never felt the same again. My suspension felt quite soft, I know my shocks aren't blown but it has lost that really stiff feeling. 2nd, I know my alinment is messed up because my car tends to pull to the side more than usual and my steering wheel is tilted to the left when I drive straight.

I was drifting sideways and that didn't really bother me, the part that bothered me most was when I tried to counter steer it and at the same time apply gas to keep the drift going. The car went into a drift but then all of a sudden it jerked hard and it turned into the direction that I was counter steering. I think this is what did the most damage, I did this about 3-4 times and I heard this can be bad for the car. Mike (DTM328) says that Nelson (ThinAir) knows that this is bad. Nelson if you read this please tell me what could be wrong with my car or what I can expect to have checked or replaced.

I'm not usually into doing donuts or drifts because I know it's just plain stupid abuse for the car, but I had to test the limits of the car and tires as well. My sidewalls held up quite nicely but the treds are garbage. When I drift all I hear is the sound of gravel, but then when I counter steer the tires bit HARD!

Anyways, any information would be much appreicated. Thanks!

I regret not having a video camera with me at the time, but never again!

Bryan

Slowered318
06-25-2003, 04:51 AM
I think the dammage was caused by letting Jon drive your car :D

Autotechnica
06-25-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Slowered318
I think the dammage was caused by letting Jon drive your car :D

I agree :D He was boucing off the rev limiter all around the parking lot. It's ok, it was nothing compared to what was done a day after that. I really need some advice.

But I seriously abused the shit out of the car and I need to know what I should check for and some possible problems. Can shocks be badly worn just by some drifts?

Bry

KennyTheGreat
06-25-2003, 05:20 AM
The car went into a drift but then all of a sudden it jerked hard and it turned into the direction that I was counter steering.

yeah, Jon did that too

and we nearly hit a pole... :eek:

MP328
06-25-2003, 07:24 AM
i tried a few times to drift myself and i get the same result like u say after trying to counter steer or give it some more gas, it comes back the way u counter steer it and just jurks the whole car that way.

i'm guessing it's because i dont have an LSD (u have one?) and that it is way harder to get the car to drift properly without one.

then again what do i know :D

Autotechnica
06-25-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by MP328
i tried a few times to drift myself and i get the same result like u say after trying to counter steer or give it some more gas, it comes back the way u counter steer it and just jurks the whole car that way.

i'm guessing it's because i dont have an LSD (u have one?) and that it is way harder to get the car to drift properly without one.

then again what do i know :D

Alan,

I don't have LSD, I'm happy to know that someone else is experiencing the same thing as I am, I thought there was something seriously wrong with my car's hanlding.

What pisses me off the most is when I'm in a controlled area trying to make my car oversteer it won't! But when I'm on the more dangerous city streets it oversteers everytime! pisses me off.

Anyways, thanks man,

Bry

Jon@Bimmersport
06-25-2003, 12:17 PM
bryan...you car DID feel SO soft when i was driving, and man... was trying to chirp gears, but wasnt used to how slow your clutch rises that i stepped on the gas and clutch thing too fast and reved before i shifted etc, man..get a stage 2 damn it...

and that drift, i had it perfect until my seatbelt cameoff!!!!!

Autotechnica
06-25-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
bryan...you car DID feel SO soft when i was driving, and man... was trying to chirp gears, but wasnt used to how slow your clutch rises that i stepped on the gas and clutch thing too fast and reved before i shifted etc, man..get a stage 2 damn it...

and that drift, i had it perfect until my seatbelt cameoff!!!!!

Yeah when my clutch wears out I'm going to get an M3 clutch w/ a lighter single mass aluminum flywheel.

I still think my major problem is the crappy tires. It makes the car understeer because the front end doesn't grip at all. If I can overpower the front wheels and make it go straight when turning, imagine how an M3 would hanlde with the same tires I'm using. I hate Hankook!!!!!

Bry

speedracer525i
07-04-2003, 09:05 PM
Understeer,oversteer and Drifting,two is heven one is hell.Put some camber plates on the front,that will take care of the front going staight while the wheel is carnked.I drift My five every chance I get,for the past five years and 60,000 miles,there's nothing sweeeeter than a four wheel drift at 45 pluss miles per hour.85 kinda sucks when you loose it but hey it's all good.I have lost count of the tires that I have gone through.I need some more on the rear as I type The Yokies lasted about 8 months but oh well thats a wear Item.Good luck.

Bigbore
07-04-2003, 09:26 PM
i`ll explain why drifting is bad for your shocks.. well not to mention the obvious (tire sidewalls)

The rod coming through the shock is covered in chrome, this lets the shock move up and down through the seals without ripping them, the chorme is the only thing between you blowing your shocks and not...

when you put your car on an angle like that, and apply massive amounts of pressure it can potentially scrape off some of the chrome plating, and when that happens you instantly get a softer ride...

bmwm5lover
07-04-2003, 09:43 PM
ur lucky ur bearing is not messed... after some donuts, drifts, and peel outs, my rear bearing went.,

Autotechnica
07-05-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
ur lucky ur bearing is not messed... after some donuts, drifts, and peel outs, my rear bearing went.,

A bearing? That's nothing man, your lucky that's all that went.

I have to replace both control arm inner bushings and possible 1 of my ball joints.

Bry

bmwm5lover
07-05-2003, 02:32 AM
speaking of bushings, and guibo's i had to replace those too :)

Autotechnica
07-05-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
speaking of bushings, and guibo's i had to replace those too :)

I think I'm going to replace the guibo as well, my tranny seals and worn and the labour involved removing the driveshaft anyways.