PDA

View Full Version : Jerking motion back and forth when hot !!!

greekthang
06-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi board,

My car seems to make this jecking motion back and forth really violently. It only happens when the car is really hot and it is in low rpms ( 1000 rpm ) has been driven for a while. When the car is cool or cold there are no problems with it at all. No clue what it could be but I am taking it to my mechanic Friday. Has anyone else experienced this problem. Any help would be great.

Thanks
:mad:

KIRASIR
06-24-2003, 12:29 PM
Sounds like a typical example of clutch shudder. Get used to it or pay big $$$ and change your clutch disc.

SL

greekthang
06-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Sounds like a typical example of clutch shudder. Get used to it or pay big $$$ and change your clutch disc.

SL

Clutch was replaced last year though pal. If that is the case then I am saving for an M motor anyways so I will have to change my clutch anyways. Save it for next year but deal with it now.

Razkal
06-24-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by greekthang
Hi board,

My car seems to make this jecking motion back and forth really violently. It only happens when the car is really hot and it is in low rpms ( 1000 rpm ) has been driven for a while. When the car is cool or cold there are no problems with it at all. No clue what it could be but I am taking it to my mechanic Friday. Has anyone else experienced this problem. Any help would be great.

Thanks
:mad:

My car does that too in summer :confused: if I have been sitting in a traffic jam or something. It rarely happens but when it does, its annoying. Let me know what they say and how to fix it....

thanks!

greekthang
06-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Razkal 320i
My car does that too in summer :confused: if I have been sitting in a traffic jam or something. It rarely happens but when it does, its annoying. Let me know what they say and how to fix it....

thanks!

Mine happens all the time my car heats up. Seams to be getting worse

The Sly
06-28-2003, 10:04 PM
Had the same problem on mine ...

first did the Motronic DME and was still the same ...
Then replace the AFM...and still the same

Replaced coolant sensor for the motronic

Now it's fine.....

sly

greekthang
06-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by The Sly
Had the same problem on mine ...

first did the Motronic DME and was still the same ...
Then replace the AFM...and still the same

Replaced coolant sensor for the motronic

Now it's fine.....

sly

YEah this weekend I was letting my car idle for a while and the temp went above half. I think it is the thermostat that is going and the sensor. Got to replace then soon. Thinking it is a faulty thermostat causing vapour lock which is shaking the crap out of my car.

325Ryan
07-01-2003, 05:54 PM
the car is overheating. this happens on my brother's old POS

Get your coolant system fixed or kiss your engine goodbye. If you dont fix it your engine will begin to leak oil and eventually die.

Jon@Bimmersport
07-02-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by 325Ryan
the car is overheating. this happens on my brother's old POS

Get your coolant system fixed or kiss your engine goodbye. If you dont fix it your engine will begin to leak oil and eventually die.

do u mean the whole system!? my bros does this...leaks coolant and a bit of oil...i sealed the oil leak for now..and top up coolant everyday

wat exactly do i get replaced?

punnzzells
07-02-2003, 04:33 AM
ya.... get your coolant leak repaired asap... there is a gasket that needs to be replaced .... check the hose on the coolant resevoir.... check the rad ... sometimes when you launch the car you can put stress on a rad tha

punnzzells
07-02-2003, 04:35 AM
ya.... get your coolant leak repaired asap... there is a gasket that needs to be replaced .... check the hose on the coolant resevoir.... check the rad ... sometimes when you launch the car you can put stress on a rad that is not fully tightened and twist it causing it to split over time....

MR. Greekthang....

if you car is rocking under heat when stopped... quit looking at all the hotties on the road and getting yourself all worked up....

:D

Mike.

greekthang
07-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by punnzzells
ya.... get your coolant leak repaired asap... there is a gasket that needs to be replaced .... check the hose on the coolant resevoir.... check the rad ... sometimes when you launch the car you can put stress on a rad that is not fully tightened and twist it causing it to split over time....

MR. Greekthang....

if you car is rocking under heat when stopped... quit looking at all the hotties on the road and getting yourself all worked up....

Mike.

Miss punnzzells,

Can't help it when hotties like yourself are on the road. You deserve the attention !!! ;)

2slow3
07-02-2003, 08:59 PM
Ok, so joining late, I have the same exact problem in my 328. Heard some opinions that it could be a clutch fan or the flex disc in the driveshaft, but I've only got 37k on the odometer.

I'm thinking of just flushing the coolant and putting in a new t-stat. I'm not leaking though, so that's good. What should the temp gauge read normally? Mine's not overheating, but it's about half-way between the half and 3/4 marks on the gauge ... if that makes any sense!

Thanks.

greekthang
07-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by 2slow3
Ok, so joining late, I have the same exact problem in my 328. Heard some opinions that it could be a clutch fan or the flex disc in the driveshaft, but I've only got 37k on the odometer.

I'm thinking of just flushing the coolant and putting in a new t-stat. I'm not leaking though, so that's good. What should the temp gauge read normally? Mine's not overheating, but it's about half-way between the half and 3/4 marks on the gauge ... if that makes any sense!

Thanks.

Could be the clutch fan. They have been known to wear out. Forget this crap though. I am doing an engine swap next year. No more worries about it. Just live with it until then

2slow3
07-04-2003, 02:52 PM
i'm too anal to not worry about it though! just noticed last night that a blade on my radiator fan is snapped clean off! when i get the jerking/shudder, it's accompanied by what sounds like a real loud fan noise ... wondering if a broken blade would throw things out of balance enough to be the source of my problem ... what do ya think?

greekthang
07-04-2003, 03:10 PM
i'm too anal to not worry about it though! just noticed last night that a blade on my radiator fan is snapped clean off! when i get the jerking/shudder, it's accompanied by what sounds like a real loud fan noise ... wondering if a broken blade would throw things out of balance enough to be the source of my problem ... what do ya think?

Could be many things pal. Its a car. things are bound to fail on it. No reason for me to spend the money if I am doing a engine swap next year. Trust me I am the most anal person alive when it comes to my car but I hate to say this fall is just around the corner:mad:

2slow3
07-04-2003, 03:14 PM
I hear ya, but it'll be a while before i can even think swap! i also know it could be a huge # of things, just trying to narrow it down and get some thoughts from people who know bmw better than i.

greekthang
07-04-2003, 04:48 PM
I hear ya, but it'll be a while before i can even think swap! i also know it could be a huge # of things, just trying to narrow it down and get some thoughts from people who know bmw better than i.

could be the following:

1. Fan clutch

2. Thermostat failure causing vapour lock

3. Clutch issue

4. Tranny problem

The list goes on and on unfortunately.

Hope this helped

punnzzells
07-04-2003, 05:14 PM
it's MRS PUNNZZELS to you.... I know how you GIGAHOES are!

greekthang
07-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by punnzzells
it's MRS PUNNZZELS to you.... I know how you GIGAHOES are!

Hello MRS PUNNZZELS. Hey hey I am not a GIGAHOES. Don't classify me as that;) *no-no*