PDA

View Full Version : Power Windows

fitz318is
06-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Anyone have any idea what would cause the passenger window to keep blowing fuses on an E30. It only seems to blow going up but it only happens once in a while.

fitz318is
07-04-2003, 05:10 PM
More frequent now, anyone?

johnoz
07-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Shouldn't be hard if your car is stock.
First take out the switch, open it up (very easy) and clean/sand even solder it for better contact. May be some sort of dust/rust/dirt ect is the cause from the switch.

Next, open up the door cover and look for any water leaks/rust etc. You can even go for the hard way and re-assemble the mechanism. I am not sure but blowing up a fuse from passenger window just tells me there is some sort of short somewhere and
should be easy to catch.

Also check the electrical socket/plug and the wires on the door. May be some of them have broken or the covering tube cracked etc.

I would definately look at the switch first.

Good luck,

fitz318is
07-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Thanks, I will check those, but how does the door come off? I think there are clips along the bottom, but how do I get them out without breaking them?

johnoz
07-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Before opening the door, things to check:

1. The switch
2. The cable harness on the door.

OK. There are 3 screws on the door.
One on the dummy cap for power window(pass side). Take out the black covering piece with a thin flat screwdriver. The philips screw is there.

There are also 2 philips screws underneath the inside door handles. When you take out these three the door cover is now attached by clips only.

Start from the bottom corner. Pull it gently and once that clip pops-up the rest should be easy. Don't worry about breaking clips, our cars are old and the clips are cheap:) 80 cents a piece.

Good luck