PDA

View Full Version : 330Ci engine breakdown pt.2 (M3 engine anyone?)

SGM330Ci
06-24-2003, 12:14 AM
havnet had time to check the forum... busy wit university shiettt.. but thanks to everyone who left comments.. =)

ok basically this was the story... since its not gonna be covered under warranty anyway...

i was headin back from montreal on hwy 401, cruisin at 160km/h when i passed this suped up prelude.. i pasted him and i knew he wanted to race, so we started cuttin thru the lanes at 200km/h+.. my accel was faster than his, but my top speed limit was 215 since it was electronically limited..

so the lude caught up to me, and it seemed like he was goin 230 or somethin, but we had to slow down since this dum corolla (no offense, i drove that same corolla for 4 years) blocked the fast lane. we slowed to 100, so i shifted to 3rd and waited to past another car in the slow lane so i can blast out asap..

bad idea.. as i slammed the accel and went 140 on 3rd, it was at redline and at the same time the slow lane had enuf room to cut, so i quickly cut to the right and pulled the shifter down expectin it to drop to 4th as usual... i thnk i did it too fast and at an angle durin the turn so therefore i hit 2nd inside..

so basically at 3rd it was redlined, and i shifted to 2nd by accident and my car suddenly jerked and i knew i mis-shifted.. it never happened before, but i saw the rpm above 7000, close to 8000. i immediately press the clutch and shifted to 5th, but it was too late.. all these lights came on and the engine started makin noises.. luckily there was an exit nearby as i pulled over......

dum story, but thats wut happened

i asked this dude sellin engines on ebay, he has a 2002 M3 engine wit 14000 miles for $7500 USD. seems like a good deal??but he lives in georgia, and shippin costs $500. plus i wanna see the engine and have it inspected before i buy it.

anyone here knows or have a new/used E46 M3 engine for sale? preferrably under 20000 kms with inspection report. i rather get a used M3 engine for the price of my repairs.

Rolled_Out
06-24-2003, 01:16 AM
i still think its very hard to put the S54 engine in ANY car...
its very technically advanced and there will be a lot of stuff needed to do the installation....
you might be $hit outta luck man...

bart320i
06-24-2003, 02:41 AM
I'm sure a 3.2 m3 motor from the e36 will fit, you can mod it up more too*th-up*

Jon@Bimmersport
06-24-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by bart320i
I'm sure a 3.2 m3 motor from the e36 will fit, you can mod it up more too*th-up*

was gonna say the same thing

buy this motor and turbo it!!

Sunapollo
06-24-2003, 01:43 PM
How much is a E36 M3 engine ??
Where should I look for it ?? Thanks !

Mystikal
06-24-2003, 04:15 PM
For the S54 you would need an entire new diff, tranny, ECU, etc. etc. It would be cheaper overall to just buy an M3.

I say find another M54 or if you feel daring the S52.

greekthang
06-24-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
was gonna say the same thing

buy this motor and turbo it!!

You cannot futher tune a M3 guys sorry to say. The motor has problems blowing cranks as it is because it is to fine tuned already. I would be very careful and not mess with that engine or you will be looking for antoher one soon !!!!!!!! *no-no*

Mystikal
06-24-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by greekthang
You cannot futher tune a M3 guys sorry to say. The motor has problems blowing cranks as it is because it is to fine tuned already. I would be very careful and not mess with that engine or you will be looking for antoher one soon !!!!!!!! *no-no*

The S52 really isn't stressed too much. You could say that about the S50 maybe, what with the over-rev issues, but the S52 is a relatively "calm" engine in the world of high performance cars. The redline is at only 6800, right? 240hp out of 3.2l is nothing to scream about. A 5-6PSI FI kit is fine on this motor.