PDA

View Full Version : blower works on and off (e30)

BimmerMan
06-23-2003, 10:00 PM
My blower (fan) works on and off. When it doesn't work, if I open the glove box and slam it, it comes on. Any ideas? I am thinking either the brushes on the motor itself are worn, and it takes the shock of slamming the glove box to get it moving, or some loose wires. I REALLY hope it's not the blower motor. I have an m50 so it will be a PAIN to get the blower motor out. Is it accessable from the inside if the dash is taken out?

Slowered318
06-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Have you checked the resistor that controls the fan? they sometimes burn out

BimmerMan
06-23-2003, 10:53 PM
Resistor for the blower motor? Where is it?

Albertae30
06-24-2003, 06:43 AM
it is pretty much attached right to the blower i have this prob in the winter my blower will only work on high. then when it warms up it will work on every setting. I took it out motor works fine so i have no clue when i took it to bmw they installed it all wrong and i had to go and fix it after stupid bmw guys in edmonton.

nzer
06-24-2003, 09:33 AM
check fuse 20, measure the resistance between positive on the terminal and the body of the car. If its not infinite resistance then there is a short circuit somewhere, GOOD luck finding it (see my post in the general section attn: car electical...)

Also disconnect the aux cooling fan and see if that fixes it.

Testing the two resistors by the cooling fan shouldn't be too hard, I know its a tight fit even with the m10 in my 318i but just remove the firewall cover and reach the multimeter leads down in there.

please can you PM me if you fix your problem.

Thanks

nzer
06-24-2003, 09:37 AM
oh and

there is a green/brown wire at the top of the glovebox (btw i have a RHD car so it may be differrent). It has a plastic molex type connector, check that isn't lose.