PDA

View Full Version : damn seats...

markaidan
06-22-2003, 12:25 PM
This maybe a simple question (and fix?), but I throw it out there anyway... I have the non-vader seats in my 97' lux M3/2D. These things wander a little (i.e, both fronts move side to side in hard cornering). Is there a quick fix to my problem; such as, just tightening down the floor bolts or could the "lift seat mechanism bars" or the bushings in those bar attachments just be worn out. It's really becoming a pain in the ass!! Anyone have or had the same problem, and what would be your advice for fixing them. Thanks.

dtthiaga
06-23-2003, 04:58 PM
I had the same problem on my 97 318is with the M-Package.
The seats used to move forward and to the left around corners (freeway ramps etc).

The dealership told me, it was the seat base that was gone (rubber bushing), which was $450 a side to replace. Seems high, but that was the price quoted.

They offered to tighten down the bolts around base, which was supposed to buy me another year or so. I didn't see what they tightened down, because I was still upset that my Certified series BMW was giving me problems at only 2 months into ownership.

It helped with seat movement.

Hope the info helps you.

markaidan
06-23-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by dtthiaga
I had the same problem on my 97 318is with the M-Package.
The seats used to move forward and to the left around corners (freeway ramps etc).

The dealership told me, it was the seat base that was gone (rubber bushing), which was $450 a side to replace. Seems high, but that was the price quoted.

They offered to tighten down the bolts around base, which was supposed to buy me another year or so. I didn't see what they tightened down, because I was still upset that my Certified series BMW was giving me problems at only 2 months into ownership.

It helped with seat movement.

Hope the info helps you.

I appreciate the info, dtthiaga. I'll have to root around the base to see if mine just need snugged up a little. And $450.00 seems to be quite expensive for some rubber bushings. Damn dealerships... then again, it's not a Chevy!!

bentlink
07-02-2003, 04:47 AM
I have the same problem with my 98 e36 323is. Not exactly sure which seats I have compared to you, but the problem is exactly the same as described. (The "is" apparently does not mean sport seats -- and they certainly aren't 'vaders'.)
In fact, I found this thread while searching for solution to the problem. I too had a quote from the dealer who said exact same thing needed replacement -- but didn't offer quick fix. (Quote was for less I think, but I was too annoyed at the time and threw it out!).
I must get a Bentley manual, but until then -- could dtthiaga please describe what bolts need tightening?
And if anyone finds the solution, do tell...

nzer
07-02-2003, 09:14 AM
i don't think the tightening the mounting bolts of the seats will help, they wouldn't allow much any lateral movement even if they were lose.

It is most likely the mechanism of the seat that has play in it. The best thing you can do is try and emulate the movement by pushing the seats around and seeing what moves and fix it that way.