PDA

View Full Version : AMAZING DIY engine bay clean

JeRsEy
06-20-2003, 03:13 AM
check this out...

posted on fanatics.com

awsome!!!!!!!!

OK...I hope you're ready to hear this...
I recently attended a detailing seminar hosted buy a bunch of detailing pros. I couldn't believe some of the tips-n-tricks I learned that day.

I was particularly interested in how they go their engine bays so clean. I just couldn't imagine anyone cleaning every belt and hose with a tooth brush and some Amour-All.

Well, they had a demonstration using a Porsche 944 with an engine bay that had not been cleaned in years. Here's how it went...the ending shocked me.

1. Let the engine run for a minute or two to warm it up. Grease and other gunk is easier to remove when the engine is warm (NOT HOT).

2. Cover any exposed electrical components and anything else you do not want to get a bunch of water on with aluminum foil.

3. Get a can of engine degreaser from your local auto store...they used GUNK Engine Degreaser. Spray it liberally on everything! Don't be shy...they used the entire can. Let is sit for 10-15mins so it can breakdown and loosen all that grime.

4. Get the hose out and spray down everything to remove all the degreaser and dirt and grime. Do not use a nozzle...just the hose is enough pressure. You do not want to blast water into all the engine components...especially on newer cars.

5. Let the water run off for a few mins and start the engine and let is run for 30 seconds to help dry some of the water.

6. Here's the final step that SHOCKED the hell out of me. They sprayed the entire engine bay down with WD-40. They used an entire can and sparyed it on EVERYTHING! After they were done; the engine looked BRAND NEW. I was told this is how many car dealers get the used cars to look brand new under the hood. Some substitute Pledge furniture spray instead of WD-40 (believing WD-40 attracts dust).

I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it with my own eyes. The Porsche engine looked flawless and every hose and belt looked brand new. I'm planning on doing this to my car this weekend.

pics for proof
beofre
http://www.srcstc.com/Engine/Dirty1.JPG

after
http://www.srcstc.com/Engine/DSC00791_small.JPG

Soldo
06-20-2003, 04:40 AM
is that the same engine bay?!
And thats some WEIRD ass detailing!!
i just might try it, how long'd it take!?

sadda///M
06-20-2003, 01:22 PM
you said it was a porsche. posted the wrong pics eh

Autotechnica
06-20-2003, 01:27 PM
Bimmersport suggested I do the same thing. He did this for me at his car shop. It really does make the engine shine a lot more. But if you guys have painted valve covers without clear coat I'd becareful, it dissolved the paint and took the paint right off my engine cover. But if your engine's completely original spray away, it makes a world of difference.

Bry

JeRsEy
06-20-2003, 02:15 PM
i wasnt at the seminar...but that is a pic of a friends car that tried it...

its amazing...so simple...takes about 30 mins
alun

JeRsEy
06-20-2003, 02:17 PM
NOTE:: one thing i have heard is that if you dont like the smell of WD-40...i dont mind it...you can use the aerosol can of Pledge Furniture spray...anti dust....and it smells much nicer...

alun

Autotechnica
06-20-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by JeRsEy
NOTE:: one thing i have heard is that if you dont like the smell of WD-40...i dont mind it...you can use the aerosol can of Pledge Furniture spray...anti dust....and it smells much nicer...

alun

The smell stays for about a week, after that it should go away.

DriveItSideways
07-01-2003, 05:33 PM
im gonna try this cuz my engine bay is nasty rite now

moregothanshow
07-08-2003, 01:36 AM
i am not sure which parts are electrical...and which parts arent...
can someone please post a pic of an engine bay and photoshop circle all the things i should wrap with a plastic bag?!?
Thanks!

Kal
07-08-2003, 01:52 AM
yes i use WD-40 all the time to clean my engine bay

as a matter of fact I recall giving this tip the last time the issue of cleaning the engine bay was brought up :)