PDA

View Full Version : Are your dash lights ALWAYS ON ??

Skimeister
06-19-2003, 03:46 PM
I'm not sure weather this is the way BMW intended, or I have a wiring problem.
I have a 1990 325i..My headlights, side markers and dash lights are ALWAYS on, my light switch knob is bushed all the way in. I can understand the headlights being on as "driving lights", but why are my dash lights always on ? If the swith knob is in the "middle" position, headlights go out, but sidemarkers and dash remain on, and if I pull the knob all the way out, it just allows for fogs and highbeams to engage. I assume the normal position of the switch is pushed all the way in. Any ideas...? Thank you.

low_bmw
06-19-2003, 11:46 PM
on my 94 my lights are always on too. But I think the guy who owned it set it up like that.

DriveItSideways
07-01-2003, 06:35 PM
mine are like that as well, i dont like it at all

Jon@Bimmersport
07-02-2003, 12:44 AM
why wouldnt u want the dash lights on when its dark and the car is on??

on my bro's its the same i guess...i dont see it as a bad thing

but when my bro's switch is all the way in nothing is on

Furious
07-02-2003, 04:25 AM
its an early E36 thing i think. not untill 1995 did they ACTUALLY allow the light dial to do its job.

Slowered318
07-02-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Skimeister
I'm not sure weather this is the way BMW intended, or I have a wiring problem.
I have a 1990 325i..My headlights, side markers and dash lights are ALWAYS on, my light switch knob is bushed all the way in. I can understand the headlights being on as "driving lights", but why are my dash lights always on ? If the swith knob is in the "middle" position, headlights go out, but sidemarkers and dash remain on, and if I pull the knob all the way out, it just allows for fogs and highbeams to engage. I assume the normal position of the switch is pushed all the way in. Any ideas...? Thank you.

That's the way it should be. I've wanted to re-wire mine so i have more control over what lights work but it's insanely complicated! i have 5 wireing diagrams for just the lights

windsor318is
07-02-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Slowered318
That's the way it should be. I've wanted to re-wire mine so i have more control over what lights work but it's insanely complicated! i have 5 wireing diagrams for just the lights

have you ever seen the diagram to run fogs properly:eek:

nzer
07-02-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Slowered318

shit yeah so many things are connected, the bloody light rheostat to the blower circuit blah blah , plus these things were made to be assembled not taken apart

Slowered318
07-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by windsor318is
have you ever seen the diagram to run fogs properly:eek:

yeah when you turn on the high beams the power goes to a relay that kills the fog lights i believe. there is a how to to change that