PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leak

bmwm5lover
06-18-2003, 05:05 PM
Knwoing me, after exams today, i had 3 buddies in the car, dropped one off, and on the way out, i reved it to about 5500rpm, shift, same thing again, all of sudden BOOM!!! M coolant light comes ON! Im like, WTF? I look behind me, all i see is a path of something wet.... I pull up a bit in reverse, all i see is a pool of coolant. i pulled over to the side(thank god for small streets) crack the hood open, all i se is one of my clamps on the hoses gave out on me! What a releaf! i thought it was something worse. i tightened it, i=filled it up w/ water, and was on my way home! PHEW!

Dave 325i
06-18-2003, 05:13 PM
You might want to properly inspect ALL your hoses and clamps to make sure the others aren't in danger of failing.

How old are your hoses anyway?

bmwm5lover
06-18-2003, 05:21 PM
no idea. shouldnt be too old tho.hoses are ok. its the damn clamp.

maverick
06-19-2003, 05:40 PM
you might want to bleed the system just to be on the safe side that is if you haven't already
you dont want air locks thats for damn sure

bmwm5lover
06-19-2003, 06:29 PM
how can i bleed the system?i need to get coolant in there, and get rid of the water? Let me know ASAP.

maverick
06-19-2003, 06:38 PM
before you start draining any of the system if you know someone with a shop you should get them to check the coolant with a meter it will tell you the boiling point and freezing point of the coolant I think you can get them at canadian tire for cheap also

you should either have a bleeder screw or you can pull the top rad hose off hold it up as best as possible and squeeze and release the lower lines ( make sure car is cool) take off resevoir cap also when you do this until you feel the coolant running through the lines you might have to fill up the rad from the hose in your hand, then once it feels like all the air is out top of the hose in your hand and get it back on quickly. if the system is full when you squeeze the hose coolant should come out of the return line back in th the resevoir. thats how I did it anyway.

good luck

bmwm5lover
06-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by maverick
before you start draining any of the system if you know someone with a shop you should get them to check the coolant with a meter it will tell you the boiling point and freezing point of the coolant I think you can get them at canadian tire for cheap also

you should either have a bleeder screw or you can pull the top rad hose off hold it up as best as possible and squeeze and release the lower lines ( make sure car is cool) take off resevoir cap also when you do this until you feel the coolant running through the lines you might have to fill up the rad from the hose in your hand, then once it feels like all the air is out top of the hose in your hand and get it back on quickly. if the system is full when you squeeze the hose coolant should come out of the return line back in th the resevoir. thats how I did it anyway.

good luck
my rad doesnt have a cap.... man sounds kinda complicated....*mumble*

maverick
06-19-2003, 06:59 PM
its really not
not the rad cap the resevoir cap
the explenation just seems long the whole procedure might take 5 minutes
I know bmw rads are constantly pressureized but if you take off the resevoir tank cap some of the pressure is released