PDA

View Full Version : Differential Swap !!!!


greekthang
06-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Hi guys,

I plan on doing diff swap next week guys. I was wondering if you notice and difference in acceleration. Just setting my car up for next years engine swap

bart320i
06-18-2003, 05:29 PM
diff swap will make your car accelerate faster but will take away from top speed. What diff are you getting cause I was thinking of doing the same thing

greekthang
06-18-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by bart320i
diff swap will make your car accelerate faster but will take away from top speed. What diff are you getting cause I was thinking of doing the same thing

I will be getting the M3 diff pal. I know it will take from top end but I am just setting it up for next year. Doing it piece by peice. Diff this year. Motor next year

WASABI
06-18-2003, 06:37 PM
What ratio? Where and how much? if ya don't mind.

greekthang
06-18-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by WASABI
What ratio? Where and how much? if ya don't mind.

the ratio is going to be a 3:15 or 3:25 and I got quoted $800 for a good used one. My mechanis I trust totally when he says it going to be a good used one and then mine will be up for sale that I currently have so if anyone is interested pm me *th-up*

MP328
06-18-2003, 08:47 PM
thinair has that same one. him and mkgino lined up (both 328s) and by end of 2nd gear thinair was a car length ahead.
also called "cheap man's supercharger" it sure does give u the best bang for the buck.

everything up to 3.38 is good. those 3.15 and 3.23 are very easy to find while the 3.38 is a pain in the ass to find but is the next best thing.

everything over 3.38 is way too much and u'll be on the rev limiter doing 180km/h on the highway. with those up there u should be still able to get to 220km/h but u might need to get rid of the rev and top speed limiter . which only the shark injector can do for u

greekthang
06-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by MP328
thinair has that same one. him and mkgino lined up (both 328s) and by end of 2nd gear thinair was a car length ahead.
also called "cheap man's supercharger" it sure does give u the best bang for the buck.

everything up to 3.38 is good. those 3.15 and 3.23 are very easy to find while the 3.38 is a pain in the ass to find but is the next best thing.

everything over 3.38 is way too much and u'll be on the rev limiter doing 180km/h on the highway. with those up there u should be still able to get to 220km/h but u might need to get rid of the rev and top speed limiter . which only the shark injector can do for u

Thanks pal. Very excited to put it on. Slow process to M land !!!!*wave*

Peter1998
06-21-2003, 03:11 AM
i am using 3.91 .. my max speed at 210km @ 7000 rpm :)

moregothanshow
06-21-2003, 10:42 PM
holy shit peter, u have a 3.91!??! how is gas mileage? what rpm are u at doing 120 km/h?

moregothanshow
06-21-2003, 10:42 PM
oh yeah peter lets race on the highway...hahahah j/p hahaha

thinair
06-23-2003, 02:19 AM
Yeah the 3.15 is only like 7% jump over stock, but like MP328 said, Mkgino and I did a 2nd gear from idle to redline pull and I easily pulled on him and he was in my rearview when I shifted into 3rd.

I'd go for the 3.23 if you can find it, I'm still thinking of getting rid of my 3.15 for a 3.23.

Basically try to find an m3 with a front end accident and get the diff off it.

greekthang
06-23-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by thinair
Yeah the 3.15 is only like 7% jump over stock, but like MP328 said, Mkgino and I did a 2nd gear from idle to redline pull and I easily pulled on him and he was in my rearview when I shifted into 3rd.




I'd go for the 3.23 if you can find it, I'm still thinking of getting rid of my 3.15 for a 3.23.

Basically try to find an m3 with a front end accident and get the diff off it.



That is exactly what I plan on doing pal. I want a M diff. Poor mans supercharger right. HAHA but does it suffer alot at top end. Have you noticed alot

Peter1998
06-23-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by moregothanshow
holy shit peter, u have a 3.91!??! how is gas mileage? what rpm are u at doing 120 km/h?

I lost about 50km for 1 tank of gas and doing 3900rpm on 120km/h hehe

but 3.91 is too fun to drive.. *wiggle*

thinair
06-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by greekthang
That is exactly what I plan on doing pal. I want a M diff. Poor mans supercharger right. HAHA but does it suffer alot at top end. Have you noticed alot

An M diff will work, so will a 325 diff with LSD, they're 3.15 also. Although LSD was a rare option on them.

98323IS
07-19-2003, 06:55 PM
Hey thinair are you selling your lsd?!?!? I am lookin for one!!!