PDA

View Full Version : Gruppe M CAI.. Woohoo!!

///Greco540
06-18-2003, 02:47 AM
Just placed an order for a Gruppe M CAI for my car. Can't wait!! I'll have complete dyno results, and pics for you guys when I get it. Should be around 4-6 weeks....

djcontra
06-18-2003, 12:54 PM
That's going to look and sound pretty nice!
You should get some video of it on the dyno :)

///Greco540
06-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Everything will be in place, all I need then is someone to load the video on their computer...

bart320i
06-18-2003, 05:26 PM
Gruppe M, isn't that a japanese company. Sounds pricey how much you payin?

///Greco540
06-18-2003, 05:41 PM
$574 shipped... Normally over $700 shipped.

tlaselva
06-18-2003, 06:41 PM
That's a very good price.
For the E46 M3, it's $1200 US. :eek:

Got pics?
How much does Gruppe claim for power gains?

Miguel
06-18-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by ///Greco540
$574 shipped... Normally over $700 shipped.

You paid $574 for an intake?!? I'd love to see the dyno results.
I'll stick with $70 K&N drop-ins*th-up*

///Greco540
06-18-2003, 07:30 PM
I've done the drop-in and didn't notice anything. Regular instakes for the 540 run between $300-$500, but those are the tube types that place the filter in the bumper area. No heatshield nothing. So by the time the air makes its way up the tube, the engine bay is pushing over 150 degrees, the air gets heated.

I figure since I'm getting this great deal on this unit I'd spend a little more cash for it since I plan on keepig the car for a long time.

I was told their units produce more power than the Dinan ones, also this one has a heat shield where the other ones don't.

As for dyno results, I've seen M3 sheets that show 12rwhp gains, but seeing tat I myself am a sort of skeptic I've set up a dyno day to test the before and after results of this CAI.

Pics to come soon. Delivery of the CAI is about 4-6 weeks.

Oh I forgot to mention that's $574 US.

djcontra
06-18-2003, 08:32 PM
Oh sh*t!
I just saw a pic of some of the gruppem intakes, and they're made of kevlar, and they're huge! wow! This thing is going to look like a beaut. in your engine bay! I'm jealous :)

///Greco540
06-18-2003, 10:14 PM
Here's a pic of one in an E46....
http://members.roadfly.com/dincic/engine.JPG

Mine will be something like this minus the driver side one of course...
http://www.renn-sport.net/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=7306

moregothanshow
06-18-2003, 10:23 PM
yeah i can see that boosting your rhp up quite a bit over stock!

djcontra
06-19-2003, 12:38 AM
///M3 *mw*

bmwm5lover
06-19-2003, 01:08 AM
Holly sweet jesus!!!!!!!

SickFinga
06-19-2003, 01:54 AM
Miguel, keep in mind his car is V8, he has 2 intakes isn't that expensive. Check out prices on intakes for multi-throttle bodies cars. I don't even wanna know how much is a good intake for 850 cost.

///Greco540
06-19-2003, 02:19 AM
Actually SickFinga, I only have one.. The M5 has 2, but nonetheless it still is a V8, so there should be some significant hp gains...

tlaselva
06-19-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by djcontra
///M3 *mw*

Ya, $1200 US, and lucky if you see 10 HP!

Woopee! :rolleyes:

Soldo
06-19-2003, 02:42 AM
hey, anyone ever heard of ROAR intake cones, they're made of carbon fibre and are also REALLY good intakes, any news on them, just curious!!

SickFinga
06-19-2003, 02:46 AM
Actually SickFinga, I only have one.. The M5 has 2, but nonetheless it still is a V8, so there should be some significant hp gains...

ohh really? hm i thought they have 2 intakes

///Greco540
06-19-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by tlaselva
Ya, $1200 US, and lucky if you see 10 HP!

Woopee! :rolleyes:

I know of a few people that have installed them on their E46 M3's and have gotten b/w 12-15 rwhp.

But I don't have an M3, I have a 540. Mine only costs $574 shipped. I'd much rather have this one than pay $500 for a Dinan, or $325 for a RevHigh or other manufacturer.

Plus I'll be dynoing it as well just to prove to myself that the money was well spent.

2lehelix
06-23-2003, 03:19 AM
...to where you ordered your CAI from. I tried a Google search, but could't find anything concrete on the Gruppe M specific to the 540.

I am pretty interested in getting one as I just purchased an '01 540i.

Thanks for the heads up.

HS

///Greco540
06-23-2003, 04:51 PM
I got mine from www.renn-sport.net. Talk to Samir or Sam. GruppeM's website is www.gruppem.co.jp For the english on try www.gruppemeurope.com

I should be getting mine in a couple of weeks. I'll take some pictures and give a review of it. I have a dyno day planned to report the gains.

moregothanshow
06-23-2003, 09:29 PM
hey, anyone ever heard of ROAR intake cones, they're made of carbon fibre and are also REALLY good intakes, any news on them, just curious!!
i had a roar intake. it was made out of carbon fiber, it was more of a short ram. it uses a foam filter. it was good until i melted some of the foam, and created a huge hole in the filter so i threw it out and could not find another so i got a bmp intake and i have to admit it is a pretty good intake. i have yet to dyno it but it sits right in the brake duct so there must be some cold air coming in.

archie
06-23-2003, 10:48 PM
btw I got the Revhigh CAI all installed and running up in my ride
I dont know about heat shielding or anything, but i do notice marginally better pull from start and towards the top of each gear..

p.s. I got the full one that sucks air all the way from the bottom of the bumper. (because they have a K&N style one that sits just in the engine bay)

I'm looking forward to doing throttle bodies and throwing on the preformance software, raising RPM limiter so i can hit close to 7k
and then altogether it should be flying :)

///Greco540
06-23-2003, 11:55 PM
Arch, don't forget after you load the software, disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes to clear the adaptations. If its a learning software you need to do that otherwise you'll have to wait for the adaptations to cycle for the computer to benefit from the additional mods.

Yeah I know the revhigh one, I know John St-Pierre as well. He has a standard product that basically is a copy of the Dinan unit. I'm only worried about the intake sucking up water, which would result in looking for a new engine. I opted for the GruppeM's becuase of the great price over retail and obviously the performance factor.

Have you dynoed your car yet, before/after to see the gains? You got the polished one right?

Another reason why I opted for that one is because to a cop who doesn't know shit about engines when they look for mods they are looking for pipes and cone filters. This unit doesn't show either and I can fool the cop into thinking its a performance upgrade from BMW. Thing is in Montreal, the cops have literally started cracking down on modded rides, sending everyone to inspection for exhausts, suspension, etc.. including ticketing said people for illegal mods.

Good luck on your modding, I wonder how much faster you really need to go in that beast until you are satisfied.

PS: I managed to pull a redline run 4th last week. I topped out at 230 before I shifted from 4th to 6th.

Later...

djcontra
06-24-2003, 12:22 AM
PS: I managed to pull a redline run 4th last week. I topped out at 230 before I shifted from 4th to 6th.

Later...

holy sh*t! I can only imagine how much faster you could have gone into 5th and 6th....damn!!!

archie
06-24-2003, 02:22 AM
Well There is nothing illegal about a cold air intake really..

thanks for the hint with the software... I noticed u also have the short shifter/WSR.. how do u like that setup? does it make it MUCh harder to shift around 1-2 and 2-3 especialy when car is cold in the morning?

///Greco540
06-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by archie
Well There is nothing illegal about a cold air intake really..

thanks for the hint with the software... I noticed u also have the short shifter/WSR.. how do u like that setup? does it make it MUCh harder to shift around 1-2 and 2-3 especialy when car is cold in the morning?

If I didn't do the Royal Purple treatment it would have been tougher. A friends wife had to do a double handed shift to reverse prior to the tranny fluid swap.

The Rogue shifter turns it from sloppy to precise. You get the snick snick feel while shifting, where previously sometimes you weren't sure if the gear was engaged or not.

I don't know how I lived without the shifter and its get smoother by the day. I'd recommend the shifter/fluid/tranny mounts to anyone immediately. It makes driving the car a whole new experience all over again. Awesome!!

archie
06-25-2003, 04:55 AM
When i'm in MTL u have to take me for a spin in your car and sell me on the idea of the shifter & stuff :)

///Greco540
06-25-2003, 03:24 PM
You got it. When you coming down..

Jon@Bimmersport
06-25-2003, 10:21 PM
greco when u come down to T.O. we can have an E39 meet!! i need that video footage..archie, would u wanna meet up to show me that one day? get some footage if u dont mind....

///Greco540
06-26-2003, 01:20 AM
We (Wife, daughter, and I) were going to come down for a week but something came up, now with us expecting in 6 weeks it makes it even harder..

But you never know.. Maybe Archie can take some footage while he's here and you can add that to the vid!!