PDA

View Full Version : Failed drive clean test

sadda///M
06-17-2003, 02:45 PM
My car failed due to high hydrocarbon reading. On the DriveCLean report sheet, the HC ppm limit is 69, my car had 175! If Im not mistaken, HC ppm stands for Hydrocarbon parts per million.

Any thoughts on what could be the reason/fix for this? TIA.

Can anyone hook me up with a 'creative' mechanic? Please use PM for this :)

SpoolinS6
06-17-2003, 03:01 PM
did u do a tune-up on your car? when u brought it in for the inspection?

sadda///M
06-17-2003, 04:36 PM
no just the recommended hwy speed warm up. what's involved in tune up these days aside from spark plug replacements?

sadda///M
07-02-2003, 03:08 PM
my car failed the emission test again even after replacing the spark plugs, air filter and o2 sensor. wtf! im down $270 and it still failed.
what sux is the drive clean shop wont give me a conditional pass unless i let THEM work on my car for $450 minimum. They wont consider the $270 that I already spent on the car with my BMW mechanic.

help me out here, im running out of much needed cash and the summer's just starting. please pm or email me (saddam325@hotmail.com) if you know of a mech that can give me a 'conditional' pass. i'd really realy appreciate it. thanks

Gamite
07-02-2003, 04:17 PM
time to find another drive clean center

djcontra
07-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Same thing happened to me, I spent hundreds replacing the o2 sensors, spark plugs, etc etc etc
it turned out to be a dirty PCV valve.
I gave the shop shit for not checking that first since all it needed was to be cleaned in gasoline and then it was fine! Even brand new, the part is only $15! So I suggest checking that next.

sadda///M
07-02-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
Same thing happened to me, I spent hundreds replacing the o2 sensors, spark plugs, etc etc etc
it turned out to be a dirty PCV valve.
I gave the shop shit for not checking that first since all it needed was to be cleaned in gasoline and then it was fine! Even brand new, the part is only $15! So I suggest checking that next.

Really? I'll check it out. where exactly is this pcv valve? You drive a 92 or 93 e36?

sadda///M
07-02-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Gamite
time to find another drive clean center

Why did you say this? Did you mean the emission mech does not know what he's doing or the machine is out of calibration maybe?

djcontra
07-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by sadda///M
Really? I'll check it out. where exactly is this pcv valve? You drive a 92 or 93 e36?

I drive a 1994 bmw, but it's the same part that's on my 1993 one as well.

I believe (if I can remember correctly...and somebody correct me if i'm wrong), it's around this area of the engine:

IVAN
07-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Bro smack one green on guy's hand and tutto finito

sadda///M
07-08-2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by IVAN
Bro smack one green on guy's hand and tutto finito

i just did that last sat. she passed with flying colours lol.

wut a corrupt world. :rolleyes: