PDA

View Full Version : Headlight aiming

MoTownMike
06-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Does anyone know the proper way to allign your headlights? I just replaced the lights and I don't want to start blinding people coming the other way.

Albertae30
06-17-2003, 03:09 PM
go to a shop they have a special tool to do that

djcontra
06-17-2003, 03:32 PM
You can park on am empty street and just aim them until you feel it's right, and then to double check, park a couple car lengths behind another car, and re-aim the lights until they just reach the trunk line. If your headlights are lighting up their interior, then they're too high.

Shamis
06-18-2003, 05:29 PM
how do actualy adjust them

djcontra
06-18-2003, 05:50 PM
on the E36, there are a series of plastic gears with a screwdriver hole in them on the back of the headlight. Mine are white, so I assume yours might be too. You just turn them, and one does up/down motion, one does left/right.

Autotechnica
06-19-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
on the E36, there are a series of plastic gears with a screwdriver hole in them on the back of the headlight. Mine are white, so I assume yours might be too. You just turn them, and one does up/down motion, one does left/right.

I have the same question. I must have turned those gears a hundred times, it didn't change a single thing. Are you sure those gears adjust the angle of the headlights? could it be the black screws at the top (3 of them)?

Bry

djcontra
06-19-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I have the same question. I must have turned those gears a hundred times, it didn't change a single thing. Are you sure those gears adjust the angle of the headlights? could it be the black screws at the top (3 of them)?

Bry

Those screws at the top MIGHT do something (ie: turning left/right) other than holding the light in place, I'll check again since I dont aim my headlights more than once...usually ever.

On my gold car though, the gears got stripped, and I needed to clamp a vicegrip on to the shaft it spins, and turn it manually a few inches at a time. You can get replacement gears for a couple bucks at the dealership though if that's your issue.

Autotechnica
06-20-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by djcontra
Those screws at the top MIGHT do something (ie: turning left/right) other than holding the light in place, I'll check again since I dont aim my headlights more than once...usually ever.

On my gold car though, the gears got stripped, and I needed to clamp a vicegrip on to the shaft it spins, and turn it manually a few inches at a time. You can get replacement gears for a couple bucks at the dealership though if that's your issue.

I'll check the gears next time I play with it, thanks! :)

Bry