PDA

View Full Version : Just disabled ASC (removed Throttle Body)

thinair
06-12-2003, 02:41 PM
I've been reading about other e36 owners removing their traction control throttle bodies, so I figured I'd remove mine. I have ASC off all the time anyway, it's almost like I got used to turning it off (get in car, turn key, put 1st gear in, turn off asc, disengage the parking brake).

Anyway, removing the throttle body is super easy (took 20 minutes) but you need to get a M roadster intake boot (P/N 13 54 1 703 588, $29), a flat screwdrivers (for the hose clamps) and a 10mm wrench/socket (to remove the TB). I though't I'd need to remove my strut bar, but there was enough clearance, although I did remove my HFM/MAS to give my hands some more room.

I used this site for some pictorial help:
http://home.earthlink.net/~r_tech/cars/firstmods.html

I went for a test drive, and the ASC light now stays on no matter what, but the ABS still works, so I'm happy. I didn't notice any power increase, but I'm pretty sure a dyno will prove otherwise, even if it's only a couple of horses. What I did notice was slightly improved throttle response, there is less of a delay from when you step on the gas to the engine actually accelerating.

For $29, this is a decent mod for those of us who don't winter our cars and are looking for a cheap slight performance increase, plus it's totally reversable.

Also, I have an LSD, so I never really relied on the ASC to brake one of the rear wheels to keep both rear tires spinning.

All I gotta do now is remove that pesky ASC (and airbag) cluster lights.

In the future I am planning to do an M50 manifold swap, get my throttle body bored, and get software. I figured this would eliminate one of the intake bottlenecks.

///MsAniTy
06-12-2003, 02:46 PM
You are one crazy guy always up to somthing.

330DTM
06-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Hey nice mod thinair. I was waiting for someone on this forum to do this mod.

Off topic but isn't that true that the 328's use a drive-by wire system whereas the 325's used the mechanical ones? My buddy told me that the mechanical ones provide better throttle response.

thinair
06-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by 328DTM
Off topic but isn't that true that the 328's use a drive-by wire system whereas the 325's used the mechanical ones?

Maybe the e46 328's, But not the e36's. I saw cables going to the underside of my TB, there is no servo there. Plus if it was drive-by-wire I wouldn't feel my gas pedal go down with the cruise control.

BMW_M52_M20
06-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Hmmm, does it actually give you anything hp wise??? I don't know, I always leave mine on unless I am racing someone, but it has saved my butt a few times..........

Jay

thinair
06-12-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Jays_Arctic323is
Hmmm, does it actually give you anything hp wise??? I don't know, I always leave mine on unless I am racing someone, but it has saved my butt a few times..........

Jay

I'm going to think it's safe to assume that it does boost the hp a little, the asc throttle body is actually smaller in diameter then the main throttle body, and the throttle plate pivot bar thing (I dunno what it's called) is actually pretty thick. Just from my butt dyno I can't feel anything, then again it's pretty hard to feel anything less then like 7-8hp anyway.

There is also quite a few hard edges on the throttle body, and it's mounted at a 45 angle to the main throttle body, so the M roadster intake tube will smooth the intake flow some too, but I don't know if it's too far away from the head to mean anything.

I've grown quite comfortable without ASC, even in the rain. None of my previous cars have had it, and my mom's car doesn't have it. I think the ASC power cuts are pretty jerky anyway.

Peter1998
06-17-2003, 03:25 PM
hi thinair.. what is your RWHP now after all then mods?

thinair
06-17-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Peter1998
hi thinair.. what is your RWHP now after all then mods?

beats me, i gotta hit up the dyno one day.

180-185rwhp would be nice, but maybe that's optimistic.

WASABI
06-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by thinair
beats me, i gotta hit up the dyno one day.

180-185rwhp would be nice, but maybe that's optimistic.

Maybe you should sign up for the maxbimmer dyno day. :idea: :D

One more mod to add to my list. *th-up*

thinair
06-18-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by WASABI
Maybe you should sign up for the maxbimmer dyno day. :idea: :D

I wish I could, but I plan of fleeing the country temporarily before the dyno meet.

I'll have to go one day on my own and get my car dyno'd, or draw up a dyno chart in Excel of how much power I'd like my car to have, and then post it telling everyone that my car makes 500hp at 11,000rpm and 600ft-lbs at idle.*angel* *drink*