PDA

View Full Version : How to properly brake in new brakes !!

greekthang
06-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Hi guys,

I am getting new brakes installed on my car this weekend. I am installing Brembo dics cross drilled all the way around and PBR pads. I was wondering after they are installed and the systm has been bled what is the proper way to introduce the new pads to the new discs.

Slowered318
06-10-2003, 03:28 PM
Some say it's better just to drive the car normal but i've always broke mine in.

You bring the car up to highway speed (90-130), break hard using an initail push - release - push hard, then drive for a min or two to cool the breaks. Do this about 10 times then again after about 20 min of "normal" driving do it another 10 times. this should seat the pads and get them usto heat so they won't fade as easly.

greekthang
06-10-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Slowered318
Some say it's better just to drive the car normal but i've always broke mine in.

You bring the car up to highway speed (90-130), break hard using an initail push - release - push hard, then drive for a min or two to cool the breaks. Do this about 10 times then again after about 20 min of "normal" driving do it another 10 times. this should seat the pads and get them usto heat so they won't fade as easly.

Thanks Slowered I have also heard that you brake at different speeds. 1st one from 40-0, then 60-0, then 80 to 0 and then 100-0 and after that 120-0 allowing cooling between every brake test stop preformed. Does this sound right ??

djcontra
06-10-2003, 04:47 PM
My mechanic and several other places always told me to just drive really fast up the street and brake as hard as I can a few times, then to just continue driving like normal to break pads in.
According to the manual which will come with your brembo rotors though, they decribe a different method. They suggest NOT to brake hard for the first 3000km's or so, leaving me unsure which to believe.

Euro_E30
06-10-2003, 04:50 PM
holy shit bro how much did al that stuff cost u...lol uonlu need to bleed the brakes if u remove the caliper and air gets into the lines..r u changer the caliper too...*th-up*

Slowered318
06-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Yeah i would go with what DJcontra said... drive it a bit then do the hard breaking cycle to break them in. you want any high spots to wear off before you heat up breaks too much.

I would also bleed the lines after the break in is over with some ATE blue break fluid.. and don't forget to bleed the clutch slave if you have one.

T-spec
06-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by greekthang
Thanks Slowered I have also heard that you brake at different speeds. 1st one from 40-0, then 60-0, then 80 to 0 and then 100-0 and after that 120-0 allowing cooling between every brake test stop preformed. Does this sound right ??

Ok, here's the proper way to do it:

-get up to about 60km then break gently(like your coming up to a stop sign) until you slow down to 20km.

-do this like 8-10 times and let them cool about 30sec btween stops.

-Your supposed to break them in slowly like this because if you brake hard, right off the start the rotors are more likely to warp, there not yet used to the sudden fluctuations in temperature.

-Some pads also have a tendancy to crack if they aren't brought up to operating temps slowly.

-If it was acceptable to go up to 100km then brake hard like DJ sugested, then why would you need a break in period.

-I forget who mentioned it but brembo has break-in instructions with there rotors, if your in dought just go by those.

-Hope this helps a bit.....

P.S. I just read my brembo break-in ins, NOOOO HARD BRAKING FOR THE FIRST 200km!!!!

greekthang
06-10-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Euro_E30
holy shit bro how much did al that stuff cost u...lol uonlu need to bleed the brakes if u remove the caliper and air gets into the lines..r u changer the caliper too...*th-up*

In total I spent $600 on the parts (cheap trust me). I had the rotor cadnium plated so they look new regradless of weather conditions and new pads all around. Now all I have to do is spend for the install about $200 and bleed the system of coarse. I already have good brake fluid in my car so hopefully this should fix the vibrating problem I have been having as well which I am certain is the problem.

T-spec
06-10-2003, 05:16 PM
In total I spent $600 on the parts (cheap trust me). I had the rotor cadnium plated so they look new regradless of weather conditions and new pads all around. Now all I have to do is spend for the install about $200 and bleed the system of coarse. I already have good brake fluid in my car so hopefully this should fix the vibrating problem I have been having as well which I am certain is the problem.

did you buy the rotors cad plated or did you get them done after? if so where and how much?

djcontra
06-10-2003, 05:22 PM
T-Spec: you're right, I just looked over my instructions too. I'm not so sure about the pads, but the rotors mention that you should brake softly for the first few hundred km's, and for the first 3000km's or so, if you have to brake hard, dont keep your foot on the pedal once you come to a stop, ease off and then press once more to avoid heat damage.

greekthang
06-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by T-spec
did you buy the rotors cad plated or did you get them done after? if so where and how much?

Had the cad plating done after pal. Cost me an extra $15 each and the place that I picked up my rotor from did the cad plating for me.

greekthang
06-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Ok, here's the proper way to do it:

-get up to about 60km then break gently(like your coming up to a stop sign) until you slow down to 20km.

-do this like 8-10 times and let them cool about 30sec btween stops.

-Your supposed to break them in slowly like this because if you brake hard, right off the start the rotors are more likely to warp, there not yet used to the sudden fluctuations in temperature.

-Some pads also have a tendancy to crack if they aren't brought up to operating temps slowly.

-If it was acceptable to go up to 100km then brake hard like DJ sugested, then why would you need a break in period.

-I forget who mentioned it but brembo has break-in instructions with there rotors, if your in dought just go by those.

-Hope this helps a bit.....

P.S. I just read my brembo break-in ins, NOOOO HARD BRAKING FOR THE FIRST 200km!!!!

Thanks pal. So much contreverse I don't know which way to turn to.*mumble*

T-spec
06-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Thanks pal. So much contreverse I don't know which way to turn to.*mumble*

Follow the procedure in the BREMBO instructions!!! you can't go wrong.

Can you tell me who did the cad plating? I want to get mine done too. Thanks a lot.

greekthang
06-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Follow the procedure in the BREMBO instructions!!! you can't go wrong.

Can you tell me who did the cad plating? I want to get mine done too. Thanks a lot.

Elite Auto on Midland and Finch north of Finch. Speak to Raymond It cost $15 each rotor. Don't know if it will cost more seeing is you didn't buy your rotor from there. Can't see that happening though. Anyways there number is 416-291-3953. *th-up*

thinair
06-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Just keep one thing in mind, when doing any brake bedding procedure, don't come to a full stop. If you're doing a hard stop from 60 or whatever, get off the brakes at like 10km/h. This will keep the pads from insulating the heat on the rotor.

greekthang
06-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by thinair
Just keep one thing in mind, when doing any brake bedding procedure, don't come to a full stop. If you're doing a hard stop from 60 or whatever, get off the brakes at like 10km/h. This will keep the pads from insulating the heat on the rotor.

Definately will keep that in mind thinair. Thanks

BlackTape
06-12-2003, 05:41 AM
I read somewher that mechanics that install the rotors and pads should break it in for you...