PDA

View Full Version : oil burning, How much is too much?

DbIiRrTdY
06-09-2003, 08:56 PM
Hey Everyone

I'm noticing some oil burning in my car ... i switched to synthetic recently. I just want to know how much is too much. I have about 150K on my car.

If you are burning a lot of oil with no leaks ... then what could that be and how much would it cost to fix it???

Thanks for the help guys!!! appreciate it!!!

me myself and I

mpower1226
06-10-2003, 03:11 AM
Switch back to mineral oil.

Albertae30
06-10-2003, 05:35 AM
ok if you have no leaks then it is your rings most likely that can get pretty pricy because of labour. my car is a 84 1.8l and well it only had 155 gs on the engine and it smoked a bit of blue due to worn rings that was before i cracked my head now i am rebuilding it.

DbIiRrTdY
06-10-2003, 12:33 PM
thx for the info guys appreciate it!

KIRASIR
06-10-2003, 12:57 PM
What grade of oil are you using and how much oil are you burning?

SL

Slowered318
06-10-2003, 02:19 PM
i would try a 10/40 non synthetic, it's getting warm enough that the oil is getting pretty hot and what your using might be too thin. Also unless your oil level is dropping below the "fill" line it might just be regualar blow off from the valve cover.

If that doesn't work then it might be time for a rebuild :(

dtthiaga
06-10-2003, 03:12 PM
You should switch back to mineral oil, and try a slightly thicker oil (10W/40). There is no point in switching to Synthetic oil at this time. Do the regular oil change with a good quality mineral oil and your set. Save your money. :)

After the car sits overnight, see if you get a puff of blue smoke when you start the car. That would indicate worn valve seals. I donít think that would cause you to loose too much oil though.

Also, get someone to drive your car, and follow behind. Watch especially when they accelerate. You shouldnít be getting any blue smoke from the exhaust.

If youíre adding 1 bottle of oil (1 Quart) every week, then thatís too much. I had a 89 Corolla with 280,000KM on it, and it consumed about 1 Quart between every oil change.

Consider Valvoline Max Life. I havenít really used it, but perhaps other members can express their findings?

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=7

Slowered318
06-10-2003, 03:56 PM
dtthiaga: Why mineral oil? I don't think it has the heat tolerance that multi grade engine oil has. I've only ever heard of it being used for breaking in a motor. Please explain what grade and viscosity your talking about here. My company sells mineral oil by the truck load.

PS. our price for a 20 litre pail is about $25

dtthiaga
06-10-2003, 07:58 PM
Sorry... I was talking about conventional motor oil instead of full synthetic.

The reason I was saying, 10W40 was it's thicker.

Viscosity: It is the resistance a material has to change in form (internal friction).

However, it's an M3, so I don't know if 10W40 would be fine. I had the okay from my mechanic to switch to 10W40 from 10W30 on one of my cars. It helped in my car.

Another thing to consider is, some cars do burn oil if you redline all the time. Howís your diving style ??? :)

Perhaps you want to try Quaker State High Mileage or switch back to a conventional motor oil first. Iíd get an expert opinion first considering itís an M3.

Take a look below:

DbIiRrTdY
06-11-2003, 12:50 AM
hey guys this is all very informative! thx for the info,

I'm using mobil 1 5W30 and since it is summer just switch to mobil 1 10W30. More recently since it has been getting warmer my driving style has become a little more agressive :P. So I did notice that i have been getting a little be more burn with that hence the queston.

I will try everything you guys suggested - look at the car on start up and follow the car during acceleration and talk to a good mechanic.

I also think that the burn is a little bit too much right now 1 qt every 3 weeks about or 1800 km ... also i change my oil and oil filter at about 8000 km since it is synthetic it still earlier than what my car recommend if i followed the green lights. plus in that same period of time i've added approximately 2.5 qts at least so there is the a replenishment of the detergent etc.

So what does this mean hopefully not a rebuild?!?!? but if so ... then i will definitely change the internals and slap a blower on it!!! then again that is not what i want to do at this point need the $$$ want to buy a condo soon

Thanks again guys

me myself and I

ps i will keep you posted :)

KIRASIR
06-11-2003, 02:48 AM
1qt every ~2000km? Forget about it.
It's a normal oil consumption for a e36 M3, and I bet you don't drive it like a granny either. Just top off the oil every 2-3 weeks, and keep on driving.

SL

Originally posted by DbIiRrTdY
hey guys this is all very informative! thx for the info,

I'm using mobil 1 5W30 and since it is summer just switch to mobil 1 10W30. More recently since it has been getting warmer my driving style has become a little more agressive :P. So I did notice that i have been getting a little be more burn with that hence the queston.

I will try everything you guys suggested - look at the car on start up and follow the car during acceleration and talk to a good mechanic.

I also think that the burn is a little bit too much right now 1 qt every 3 weeks about or 1800 km ... also i change my oil and oil filter at about 8000 km since it is synthetic it still earlier than what my car recommend if i followed the green lights. plus in that same period of time i've added approximately 2.5 qts at least so there is the a replenishment of the detergent etc.

So what does this mean hopefully not a rebuild?!?!? but if so ... then i will definitely change the internals and slap a blower on it!!! then again that is not what i want to do at this point need the $$$ want to buy a condo soon

Thanks again guys

me myself and I

ps i will keep you posted :)

DbIiRrTdY
06-12-2003, 02:14 AM
hey everyone,

thought i would share my update ... from a cold start - sitting for greater than 8 hours, it just give off a grey puff of smoke. then i did test number two ... followed my friend while he pretty much jump on the gas ... only saw grey smoke under hard acceleration ... so i guess all is good there.

I'm still going to talk to a mechanic. But does anyother have any other ideas?

Thx

me myself and I