PDA

View Full Version : Ack!! Not passing emissions!! =(

djcontra
06-09-2003, 07:42 PM
I need some advice here.
I am finally getting my project car certified and emissions tested after sitting for a while. I replaced all my plugs, filters, O2 sensor, tierods pads, rotors, and balljoints.
It passed safety with flying colours, but the emissions tests are giving me trouble.
My car is only getting 114 out of 120 in the hydrocarbon reading. Everything else is passing by a lot! (cats are new, and the car has only 130,000km's on it, so that's why :)

At first it was getting 60 out of 120, but the new o2 sensor brought it up to the 114, but I need to squeeze out another 6 to make it pass. What else could be wrong? I want it to be well above the 120mark like on my other e36 with 225,000km's!

any suggestions?? I was soooo looking forward to driving it tonight :(

Rolled_Out
06-09-2003, 07:47 PM
slip the guy a 20 and have them run a brand new honda on there :) thats what my buddy did..haha

djcontra
06-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Rolled_Out
slip the guy a 20 and have them run a brand new honda on there :) thats what my buddy did..haha

I can do that, or goto empowerd's guy, but I would like my car to be running perfectly before the forced induction goes on it.
This really bothers me, especially after replacing the o2 sensor

MatyBMW
06-09-2003, 07:56 PM
Fill your car up with 94 octane gas and octane booster. Drive your car hard on the highway for 10 minutes. Then go get the test,

Rev the car right before the test to keep it hot. Guarenteed pass!

djcontra
06-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by MatyBMW
Fill your car up with 94 octane gas and octane booster. Drive your car hard on the highway for 10 minutes. Then go get the test,

I'm definately going to do that, I might even install my chip to change the timing of the engine, but it's all just a band-aid fix to a real problem. What else affects the hydrocarbon levels?
This car is sooooo new compared to my other e36, it defies me as to why it's failing on this one level so poorly.
Oh well, if all else fails, I can bring it to crappy tire and have them connect it to their sensors and find out what's exactly wrong, but I despise that place so much.

DriveItSideways
06-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by MatyBMW

i used to do emission testing and running the car on the highway can help a bit but not much, before we do the test, we run the car as hot as its gonna get when its sitting on the dyno.

DriveItSideways
06-09-2003, 08:29 PM
contra, try changing the spark plug wires

DriveItSideways
06-09-2003, 08:31 PM
dont bring it to crappy tire!!!!!!!! bring it to my dads shop - 1 hour labour ($60 i think?) and we will know exactly what the problem is

djcontra
06-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Blacked/Shotta: My car doesn't use spark plug wires, it's direct ignition to it's own coil per cylinder (I love bmw!! :)) I just hope my ignition coils aren't bad (at least I have extras though)
I'll consider bringing it to your shop if all else fails, just pm me the info
thanks

dtthiaga
06-09-2003, 09:55 PM
I think a long highway run would help your car. You mentioned that the car was sitting for a while. It will clean out the engine.

I'd also put a good fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank as well.

Hope it helps.

djcontra
06-09-2003, 11:08 PM
Maybe you're all right. The car just needs to have a good o'l italian tune-up (rev the CRAP out of the engine on the highway! *th-up*)
I'll borrow my mechanic's dealer plates and drive hard for a while, and run the tests again. I am going to have my mechanic test my coils first though, since I have extras if any of them are bad.

bart320i
06-10-2003, 01:40 AM
hydro carbons could mean your burning oil. My 320i has the same problem and will never pass emissions unless I get a rebuild. I was told that poor hydro carbon grades are a red flag for bad seals or something. if you failed really bad on hydro carbon this could mean problems

djcontra
06-10-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by bart320i
hydro carbons could mean your burning oil. My 320i has the same problem and will never pass emissions unless I get a rebuild. I was told that poor hydro carbon grades are a red flag for bad seals or something. if you failed really bad on hydro carbon this could mean problems

Well my hydrocarbon level went from 60's to 114 just by changing the O2 sensor, so I think that was most of the problem. The last little bit my mechanic and I have narrowed down to being either a faulty ignition coil. or faulty fuel injector.
Both of which I will replace with new parts tomorrow after work. I'm just lucky I have extras.
I hope you're wrong about the seals though. Again, my other e36 runs absolutely BEAUTIFUL and it has almost 100,000 more km's on the engine without a rebuild or gasket changes. I just can't see it being that unless something happened to the car in the past that I dont know about.

bmwm5lover
06-10-2003, 02:20 AM
when i bought my car, i had problems w/ emissions, and replaicng the damn O2 sensors, spark plugs, revving it, and new oil, got really high score! Since you have already done that, try reving the hell out of it, and see what happens then!

Predator_e36
06-10-2003, 02:21 AM
can u scan the test results?

djcontra
06-10-2003, 08:04 PM
I'll try and scan them tomorrow when I get the final sheet.
My mechanic took the car to a BMW mechanic he knows, and they hooked up the car to a computer to diagnose the problem (I'll find out tomorrow what it is), but regardless, the shop has passed my car (for cash under the counter :D)

Kurt Schneller
06-11-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
My mechanic took the car to a BMW mechanic he knows, and they hooked up the car to a computer to diagnose the problem (I'll find out tomorrow what it is), but regardless, the shop has passed my car (for cash under the counter :D)

I love this corrupt world*th-up*
I myself have aquired a few things in this manner:D

Good luck with problem, I'm sure it'l be minor

bmwm5lover
06-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
Gottal Love the under of the table! LOL