PDA

View Full Version : brake job (dealer)

sixxdog
06-09-2003, 08:23 PM
my pad warning light is coming on so i call the dealer,cost is $688.00 for pads ,sensors and rotors, and i ask him dont you just machine the rotors, and he said that with bmw they dont machine them because the rotors will warp with in 2 weeks, is this right or should i go somewhere else and get them machined, im pretty sure i can buy 4 brembo drilled rotors for less than that and buy pads for probably close to the same price maybe a little more... i need some opinions on this , and any prices you can give me would help...oh yeah how long can i drive once my pad sensor starts coming on periodically, its been 2 weeks and everything still feels fine...

thanx in advance...

djcontra
06-09-2003, 08:45 PM
I machined my OEM rotors, but they didn't last long after. My mechanic also advised me that BMW rotors (the rears more so) are very thin, so he doesn't usually machine them.

Talk to Gino Yan over at Elite Auto. He sells brembo rotors (plain, cross drilled, or gas slotted) for about $90 CDN. He can even give you a great deal on any pads you want too.

sixxdog
06-09-2003, 09:44 PM
can i just leave the same rotors on , and just replace the pads, i dont have any problems braking, but my pad sensor is coming on periodically, if i do have to replace the rotors and pads how long will they last for everyday road use, 1 year or 2 years and then its another $688.00 and if i buy brembos will i be able to machine them down the road or will i have to replace them every time i change pads like the stock ones...

Help me out guys i need to know what the deal is so i can decide what im going to do and how long do i have once my pad sensor starts coming on, and if i have to replace the rotors anyway, i might as well drive it till i have problems braking...

braindamage
06-09-2003, 09:52 PM
Remember the warning light does not tell you if you need to replace the front or the rear or both. You might only need the replace one end of the car only.

For the rotors, you will have to check how worn your rotors are first. Let say they are not that badly worn, is ok to put new pads on. It will be different if you decide to use more of a agressive pads than you will want to replace the rotors.

Don't forget the sensor.

T-spec
06-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by braindamage
Remember the warning light does not tell you if you need to replace the front or the rear or both. You might only need the replace one end of the car only.

For the rotors, you will have to check how worn your rotors are first. Let say they are not that badly worn, is ok to put new pads on. It will be different if you decide to use more of a agressive pads than you will want to replace the rotors.

Don't forget the sensor.

I second that!!!! great advice.

BlackTape
06-12-2003, 05:38 AM
I have a question... I think my brake pads are pretty worn out... but the warning light does not go on.....

Is it possible the previos owner removed the sensor so it doesn't work anymore...

cause he said he did all work on his car

AcidSnow
06-12-2003, 01:32 PM
it is possible to not connect the sensor, you can check with out taking the tire off, check the front driver side tire - if you have open rims you should be able to see right in, the in one in the rear is on the passenger side. the actual sensor clips right onto the pad

Slowered318
06-12-2003, 01:56 PM
If you don't connect the sensor the break pad warning light will come on. You would need to bridge the wires because the sensor is just a piece of wire in a ceramic clip, when you wear down the pad all the way the rotor cuts the wire and breaks the connection.

greekthang
06-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Don't go half ass on brakes pal. I spend close to a grand for my braking system.

- steel braided lines front and back
- brembo cross drilled cadnium plated all around
- new pads front and back
- brake flush
- new brake fuild 5.1 (blue)

You don't need to go as overboard witht he cross drilled in the rear but they where cheap when I picked them up thanks to DJCONTRA help.

Car brakes like crazy now.

Remember a once of prevention is a pound of cure
*th-up*