PDA

View Full Version : over heating (help)

sixxdog
06-07-2003, 10:08 PM
93-325is ok heres the deal, last summer replaced rad and thermostat because car was over heating (problem solved)..
now its over heating again, so first i took out the thermostat and tried running it with no thermostat to see if it would solve the problem,car over heated really quickly, ok maybe its not the thermostat, ok time to check the water pump so i pull it off the motor, its got thre plastic impeller and it spins freely by hand,so i figure its fine,put it back together, and put the thermostat back in and i fill up the rad , let the engine come up to temp and blled the system and car still over heats, heres the thing, top rad hose from thermostat housing to rad is hot but kind of soft, i thought that it should be hard because of all the pressure but its not, the lower hoses are cold, and so is the rad, theres no way i should be able to touch the rad withh my hand,keep in mind the rad is almost brand new, why is the coolant not circulating properly, could it be the pump even thoiugh it looked fine...

i really need your thoughts guys any ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the weekend is here and the weather is beatiful, i should be out pimpin and im stranded at home because the bimmer running to dam hot...........:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

chad
06-07-2003, 10:28 PM
runing the car with out a thermostat will not tell you any thing
because the thermostat gives the coolent in the rad time to cool
off before entering the block.When you pulled the water pump
did you hold the pulley then spin the impeller if it spins on the shaft it's bad.You can test the thermostat by placing it hot water
"like on you stove" and see what temp the thermostat opens

sixxdog
06-07-2003, 10:51 PM
i held the pulley and the impeller wouldnt turn, but when i turn one of them they turn together, i removed the thermostat because i thought it would stay cool and i would be able to drive it till i figured out what was wrong...

chad
06-07-2003, 10:59 PM
Before you pulled the water pump did you see any coolent from
the bottom of the pump or the front of the block? It sounds like
your system is not holding pressure but then you would see steam coming from some were.I hope I'm beeing some help to you.

sixxdog
06-07-2003, 11:21 PM
i didnt see any leaks, the rad cap and all the hoses are on tight, should the top rad hose be full of pressure, i dont think a should be able to squeeze it , its kind of soft, i thought it woul be really hard with all the pressure in there...
thanx for your thoughts any bit of help is needed...

Jim .E.
06-08-2003, 04:46 PM
sounds like your not getting enough pressure, it shouldnt be soft and for you to be able to squeeze it...i'll ask my dad tonight what problem you might have, he knows too much shit about cars (kind of where i learned) so chances are he knows whats going on with yours

BTW: did you plan on having someone take a look at it?

The Sly
06-08-2003, 06:50 PM
THe first thing i would do is replace that water pump with the plastic impeller...

it it has not broke yet....it will eventually....
do't take a chance and get the other type now while you have it out...