PDA

View Full Version : Coilover Kits: Which to get, where to get it and for how much $?

notjoe
06-07-2003, 08:23 PM
I want to drop a set of coilovers using my stock suspension.

I know nothing about them except that they lower you car ;)

Here is what i found on ebay which seemed pretty decent (but what do i know)

92-98 BMW E36 3 SERIES GRAVITATION SLEEVE COILOVER KIT

THE KIT INCLUDES:

T-6061 T-6 BILLET ALUMINUM LIGHTWEIGHT SPRING SEATS
T-6061 T-6 BILLET ALUMINUM HIGH STRENGTH THREADED SLEEVES
DIRECT WINDING SPRINGS MADE FROM STEEL (54SICR6 COLED ROLLED)
SPANNER WRENCH FOR QUICK HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT

THE MAX DROP IS 3 INCHES.

and the price is roughly 75.00 USD for the kit.

If that is a shit brand what exactly should i be looking to buy to drop the car? Will this have an impact on the suspension at all?

thinair
06-07-2003, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't recommend coilover sleeves on stock struts, but if I was to accidentally recommend a set, it would be the Ground Control sleeves. It's worth it (as far as coilover sleeves go).

If I were you, I'd wait some time, get some more money and lower your car properly.

djcontra
06-07-2003, 08:57 PM
I've got a true coilover kit for sale in the forsale section if you're interested.

notjoe
06-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by thinair
I wouldn't recommend coilover sleeves on stock struts, but if I was to accidentally recommend a set, it would be the Ground Control sleeves. It's worth it (as far as coilover sleeves go).

If I were you, I'd wait some time, get some more money and lower your car properly.

What would the proper way to lower the car be?

djcontra: got a link which points to them?

djcontra
06-07-2003, 09:35 PM
here ya go:
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16628

Miguel
06-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by notjoe
What would the proper way to lower the car be?

Only 2 ways to do it properly...

1. Coilovers
2. Sport shocks + Lowering springs

I went for #2 because a) I'm too lazy to adjust coilovers and b) cheaper.

thinair
06-07-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Miguel
Only 2 ways to do it properly...

1. Coilovers
2. Sport shocks + Lowering springs

I went for #2 because a) I'm too lazy to adjust coilovers and b) cheaper.

Miguel is right. The only other option is a cup kit, which is basically a highend sport shock/lowering spring kit that have springs and shocks that are mated to each other, and to the car.

The stock struts/shocks will not be able to properly control the movement of the stiffer shorter springs that you will get with the coilover sleeves.

There is nothing wrong with the sleeves themselves, but if you really want to use them, get some good struts/shocks first, and then hacksaw them up for the sleeves to fit.

Soldo
06-07-2003, 11:25 PM
ya man go for proper coilovers, i have the bilsteins on my car, best money i ever spent, but if i didn't get those i'd get some springs and shcoks (H&R with BILSTEIN) its the only way to go, i mean if you don't really car about your car, then go with those, but remember, BMW suspension is already good, your not driving a honda!

notjoe
06-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Considering the valuable information you've guys have given me i think that i will probably bring the car up to the Dinan guys and go with a stage 1 or 2 suspension.. get some more points and hopefully it'll put me over the top.

Should i go with Koni or Bilstein?

Soldo
06-08-2003, 12:03 AM
go BILSTEIN, i've heard a LOT of bad things when it comes to KONI AND BM's!!and i think DINANA is TOO expensive when you can get the same if not BETTER performance outta other companies!

Miguel
06-08-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by notjoe
Considering the valuable information you've guys have given me i think that i will probably bring the car up to the Dinan guys and go with a stage 1 or 2 suspension.. get some more points and hopefully it'll put me over the top.

Should i go with Koni or Bilstein?

Both are good. I have Bilsteins and I'd say they are A-OK.. a bit harsh but what do you expect for sport shocks?

I have FK Automotive Hi-TEC springs and i'm pleasantly surprised with them. The drop is the biggest that I have seen for an E34, and FK coilovers have a great reputatio with the euro crowd, so the quality is definately there*th-up*

notjoe
06-08-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
go BILSTEIN, i've heard a LOT of bad things when it comes to KONI AND BM's!!and i think DINANA is TOO expensive when you can get the same if not BETTER performance outta other companies!

My goal was to make it a Dinan 3 and i think i only need 4 or 5 more points to make it.. might as well finish it off..

1BADBMR
06-08-2003, 10:40 PM
I also have the Bilstiens coilovers (PSS) which can give your car a crazy drop without sacrificing the harsh ride that you'd usually get.
Go with the Bilstiens*th-up*