PDA

View Full Version : Best brakes?

Miguel
06-06-2003, 10:22 PM
what are the best brakes?

I'm sick of all the brake dust my current PAGID brakes are giving off! My front rims are BLACK:huh?: *thmbsdwn*

Autotechnica
06-07-2003, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Miguel
what are the best brakes?

I'm sick of all the brake dust my current PAGID brakes are giving off! My front rims are BLACK:huh?: *thmbsdwn*

I just got PAGID's installed and they are not even close to being as bad as people say they are. After hammering around in my car for 2 days straight, I noticed no more brake dust from the rear PAGID's compared to my front OEM brakes. They have slightly better stopping power than OEM brakes and I've heard they last really long. Soft on rotors too. Maybe I'm just lucky? :huh?:

Anyways, although expensive, EBC green is definitely the best. I think most people will agree with me. It's dustless, very quiet, soft on rotors and won many awards.

Bry

WhadUpp
06-07-2003, 04:42 AM
You can also try PBR metalmasters

Soldo
06-07-2003, 06:12 AM
EBC are GARBAGE they wear out way too quick, i have the PBR METAL MASTERS and i can honestly say, i have not even seen a single SPEC of brake dust since installing those pads and i brake heavy too, and they have a LOT better stopping power over OEM!!!
Only downside, apperently they're HARD on rotors (i can't confirm cause my rotors squeeled before installing the pads and now its pretty muich the same!)

WhadUpp
06-07-2003, 06:19 AM
I've got PBR Metalmasters on my car and I can tell you too that breaking with them is great without all the dust.*th-up*

Autotechnica
06-07-2003, 07:52 PM
There's no dust because it's not wearing the brakes, it's wearing the rotors. :D

Seriously, you can get Hawk black brake pads, no dust, brakes pretty good when warmed up, but you'll change your rotors every year. Same with PBR, I've heard they are really bad for your rotors. And most pads like those need to be heated up otherwise they don't work well at all. It's dangerous for normal city driving when your not on the track.

Bry

Gamite
06-07-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I just got PAGID's installed and they are not even close to being as bad as people say they are. After hammering around in my car for 2 days straight, I noticed no more brake dust from the rear PAGID's compared to my front OEM brakes. They have slightly better stopping power than OEM brakes and I've heard they last really long. Soft on rotors too. Maybe I'm just lucky? :huh?:

Anyways, although expensive, EBC green is definitely the best. I think most people will agree with me. It's dustless, very quiet, soft on rotors and won many awards.

Bry

Pagid's have awesome bite, but the dust is MAD CRAZY, u'r not noticing it cuz you dont have them on the front. My rear wheels stay pretty clean, while my fronts, OMG a sea of black.. Doesnt help that my dish collects everything in sight.

I'm considering changing my fronts to EBC Green stuffs.

Gamite
06-07-2003, 08:48 PM
There's no dust because it's not wearing the brakes, it's wearing the rotors. :D

Seriously, you can get Hawk black brake pads, no dust, brakes pretty good when warmed up, but you'll change your rotors every year. Same with PBR, I've heard they are really bad for your rotors. And most pads like those need to be heated up otherwise they don't work well at all. It's dangerous for normal city driving when your not on the track.

Bry

and u'r gonna have a fun time trying to warm them up in winter! *th-up*

Here's a nice write up on some pads..

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/brakes.htm

Autotechnica
06-07-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Gamite
Pagid's have awesome bite, but the dust is MAD CRAZY, u'r not noticing it cuz you dont have them on the front. My rear wheels stay pretty clean, while my fronts, OMG a sea of black.. Doesnt help that my dish collects everything in sight.

I'm considering changing my fronts to EBC Green stuffs.

Oh yeah, I never took that into consideration. Maybe when it's time to change my fronts I'll look for something else.

Bry

alexm520
06-10-2003, 02:14 AM
Hi Guys,

HAWK HPS has good reputation as a street pad (not for track) and should NOT dust a lot or eat rotors. Don't confuse them with HAWK HP+, which occasionally have reviews as eating rotors.

EBC Green should be okay for street braking.

Also, I loved PORTERFIELDS R4S pads (again don't confuse with "R4" track-only pad). About 50% dust of OEM. Very impressive inital bite, no squeeling. No warm up needed and can be used at the track for a beginner driver. I bought front set from Vancouver for about $150 + gst + shipping (for E46 328Ci). Obvioiusly more expensive than Pagid for $90 fronts.

Currently trying out FERODO DS2500 which is more Street/Track pad. Better stopping power than R4S at the track. No warm up needed, only 25% of dust compare to stock OEM pads; They do squeel but tolerable. Not easy to get in Toronto.

AlexM520

Autotechnica
06-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by alexm520
Hi Guys,

HAWK HPS has good reputation as a street pad (not for track) and should NOT dust a lot or eat rotors. Don't confuse them with HAWK HP+, which occasionally have reviews as eating rotors.

EBC Green should be okay for street braking.

Also, I loved PORTERFIELDS R4S pads (again don't confuse with "R4" track-only pad). About 50% dust of OEM. Very impressive inital bite, no squeeling. No warm up needed and can be used at the track for a beginner driver. I bought front set from Vancouver for about $150 + gst + shipping (for E46 328Ci). Obvioiusly more expensive than Pagid for $90 fronts.

Currently trying out FERODO DS2500 which is more Street/Track pad. Better stopping power than R4S at the track. No warm up needed, only 25% of dust compare to stock OEM pads; They do squeel but tolerable. Not easy to get in Toronto.

AlexM520

All the pads you mentioned take a lot of warm up time before they start to bite. Even if they are soft on rotors they also squeel like a bitch. I know people who have used Ferrodo and Hawk street pads and they all say when they first bring their cars out they have to warm the pads up. I don't even think Ferrodo has street pads, they make most racing applications.

Bry

djcontra
06-10-2003, 01:20 PM
What's everyone's take on carbon fiber pads? Waste of money?

moregothanshow
06-10-2003, 08:36 PM
What's everyone's take on carbon fiber pads? Waste of money? i was just gonna ask the same thing....anyone?!?
Thanks!

alexm520
06-10-2003, 10:23 PM
All the pads you mentioned take a lot of warm up time before they start to bite. Even if they are soft on rotors they also squeel like a bitch. I know people who have used Ferrodo and Hawk street pads and they all say when they first bring their cars out they have to warm the pads up. I don't even think Ferrodo has street pads, they make most racing applications.

Bry

Bry,

You have been misinformed. All pads I mentioned are STREET pads and some can be used on track. Because they are street category, they DO NOT require warm-up.
I am using Ferodo DS2500 right now for daily city driving as well as used them at MOSPORT big track and DDT. In the morning to work, I start the car and start driving without ANY special brake warm-up or anything like that.

Yes, Ferodo's do squeel, but you have to also understand that they perform great on the track under very heavy braking even for an intermedient level student ("B") - no fading. On top of that they dust VERY little. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a good street/track pads - that doesn't dust ..... IMPOSSIBLE. I am willing to live with a bit of squeel considering all their other attributes.

>>> You have to choose a brake pad for your specific application. That's the key If you don't take your car to the track, buying Ferodo DS2500 is overkill since you never really going to benefit from their superb stopping power at high speeds / high braking temperatures.

>>> As in my original post, Porterfields R4S are another very good, high-performance brake pads for street: NO squeel (at least when I used anti-squeel paste), only half of OEM dust, great braking power.

>>> FERODO does make STREET-ONLY pads. All Ferodo pads starting with model name of "DS******", are coming from their racing division.... even though DS2500 is considered highway/light competition brake pad.

Their previous STREET-only pad "DS2000" was replaced by a new model called "TS2000" about 2 - 3 months ago which will compete in the street class market..... and thus is the name change to differentiate between Racing and Street compounds.

I hope this helps,

AlexM520
330Ci '03

windsor318is
06-10-2003, 11:50 PM
miguel get EBC green stuff, vertually no dust at all they are made of kevlar. they work great, no noise just have to be nice and warm

Miguel
06-10-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by windsor318is
miguel get EBC green stuff, vertually no dust at all they are made of kevlar. they work great, no noise just have to be nice and warm

Didn't Sickfinga have something negative to say about EBC greenstuffs? like they wear REALLY fast or something?

WASABI
06-11-2003, 12:03 AM
I've had the PBR metal masters for about a year now, they still give off some dust, not as bad as OEM, but they do seem to eat the rotor quite a bit. I've had the PBR deluxe also, no dust, but no grip either.

Soldo
06-11-2003, 12:10 AM
Didn't Sickfinga have something negative to say about EBC greenstuffs? like they wear REALLY fast or something? i ALWAYS have negative feedback on EBC, i bought a pair once to test em out, LITTERALLY just under a month and they were GONE!!
and i didn't do ANY sort of tracking that month either, terrible pads, my one buddy had them on and went tracking with them all weekend, and befor a WEEK was up GONE!!
PBR's are good but i have noticed a LOT of rotor wear, whats all this talk about warming up pads, what can happen if you don't?!

windsor318is
06-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Didn't Sickfinga have something negative to say about EBC greenstuffs? like they wear REALLY fast or something?

mine are brand new still, ive had them on since last summer, and i beat the piss out of my car. i put brand new rotors on at the same time, soldo did you? (mine are cross drilled and slotted, doesnt seem to be wearing them out MORE like everyone told me would happen)

P.S there also the new V4 technology ones, if that matters i believe it was $325 front and back including tax

Soldo
06-11-2003, 12:18 AM
wow, i did not pay THAT much, but my buddy had new x-drilled on his rotors wore em out quick and i put them on my current used rotors!

windsor318is
06-11-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
wow, i did not pay THAT much, but my buddy had new x-drilled on his rotors wore em out quick and i put them on my current used rotors!

you obviously machined the rotors before putting the pads on right? did you read the break in period, you cant slam on them for 1000 kilometres(unless you have to:rolleyes: ), dont quote me on the kilometers though