PDA

View Full Version : 325e turbo project

boosted325
06-05-2003, 12:52 AM
Hey all, im new here as u can see, i am also a member of DTMpower if anyone cares, well here is y im posting here, i am workin on a 85 325e that im buildin a turbo bimmer out of, my plans were to use a 325i bottom end, cam, and ecu with a 325e crank and head, and a dinan intake manifold and exhaust, and of course this is a turbo project, my turbo of choice would be either a T3/T04 or jus a T3 super 60. as far as a turbo manifold i was hopin to use the exhaust manifold from a 85 524TD, however thas where i am runnin into a problem with it, i have found a few i could purchase for between $75-$100, however i am not sure if it will bolt to either head i have, i have 2 complete (well not in one piece) blocks, one is a 2.5 and the other is the 2.7, the 524TD has a 2.4, if anyone has an idea about my plan workin, please let me know, i dont wanna start puttin everything togeher jus to find out this shit aint gonna fit, then i will feel real low..well anyhow, id love to be enlightened on my plan if anyone has any comments or anything to shoot at me, i am new to the BMW scene, this is my first, however i have recently purchased a second bimmer which is a 90 750IL...

kolob325is
06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
I was looking into this at one time also and I think the answer is yes & no. Yes it will fit, with modification. You have to turn in upside down and find a way to mount the studs that don't line up with the holes. Basically, you would have to clamp it somehow.

I ditched this idea because after all is done, the thing is going to look totally ghetto. Probably not worth it once you figure in the time involved. On top of that, the manifold doesn't look like it flows that well anyways...

In the end, I'm just going to buy the flange and pipe and weld one up myself... (in the process of making a prototype as we speak..)

Another cheap option is the pipe made by proturbo in finland that connects to your stock manifolds. Again I'm ditching this because of flow issues, but this would be a lot better setup...

Eurostyle
06-05-2003, 04:08 AM
I had a 325e/524TD eurospec project and as far as I can tell you can fit the manifold but you have to relocate the hols...They are slightly off...
P.S I sold that project due to lack of time...Now I have an M50 project just sitting with the same "time" issue.....

6piston
06-05-2003, 05:47 AM
is it difficult to get a custom manifold made? i agree with kolob about the gettho part.

Eurostyle
06-05-2003, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by 6piston
is it difficult to get a custom manifold made? i agree with kolob about the gettho part.

The TD manifold should fit right side up...I hear you can use the stock "I" manifolds fliped upside down....

The Sly
06-05-2003, 11:58 AM
lack of time on your M50 project......

How far in are you ?
So you have a good source for parts ?

I will be starting the same thing but i am a little scare about parts supplies from the local wreckers.....They have not much to work with....

Thanks Sly

Eurostyle
06-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by The Sly
lack of time on your M50 project......

How far in are you ?
So you have a good source for parts ?

I will be starting the same thing but i am a little scare about parts supplies from the local wreckers.....They have not much to work with....

Thanks Sly

Ha ha....I'm to the "M50 sitting in garage" stage!!! I'm so busy working for my customers that I have NO time at all to spend on my own projects...Even my daily driver is sitting in my driveway with no bumpers and I have to drive the Subaru all day:mad:

Miguel
06-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by The Sly

Thanks Sly

Are you ripping out the M20?!? just out of curiousity, do you have any idea how much HP you have pushed out of your M20? is it worth building an M20?

The Sly
06-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Hard to say about HP ...But should be around 210 to 215 ...it pulls really hard and it is fun.. but i am out of projects right now and I always wanted to do the 24 valves engine....
I do not want to go with another 2.5litres...Has to be at least 2.8Litres and up...

Don't know what i will do with the stroker
yet....

Was it worth it!!!!!...Yes and no..yes for experience but no for $$$$$$$..
it is not cheap to rebuild a complete engine from ground up...
Specially with what i did to mine....

I guess it will be a good deal for the guy that buys my stroker cause you can never recoop all the money ...

webbie
06-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Boosted325.... If i'm not mistaking, i believe that you would be much better off using the complete Eta block with the I head. Then you have a 2,7L with good potential. When it comes to the exhaust, i think the original I manifold with adapter delivers ok flow up to 300hp but if you're thinking of more... build a new one

webbie
06-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Ooops.. forgot something. Also use the 325I pistons in the Eta block, because they're designed for the I heads combustion chambers...

Then you'll have a cheap engine with nice low compression :cool:

boosted325
06-06-2003, 01:10 AM
hey i have been doin some experimenting with my desktop dyno2000, and if it is correct the bore on the 2.5 is 3.307 (or 3.31) and he stroke is 2.95.. and on the 2.7 the bore is 3.531 and the stroke is 2.8.. now if this is accurate, then i also noticed that if u used the 2.5 crank in the 2.7, u will get more HP.. is this true, because if so, im gonna go with the 2.5 crank, and the rest of the parts will be from the 2.7, and if its gonna make a difference the 2.5 cam will be used with the 2.7 head...if i have the wrong idea, please steer me strait

Eurostyle
06-06-2003, 05:52 AM
From what I know the best is to use the 2.7 bottom end (including pistons and TD crank if possible) and 2.5 head. With that combination you will get a low compression engine that will be perfect for forced induction.

boosted325
06-06-2003, 10:44 AM
so i should try to get my hands on a 524TD crank and drop a 2.5 head oer a 2.7 block???what about the cams?? is there a difference in them?? i was thinkin the 2.5 cam was different and better than the 2.7s..

Eurostyle
06-06-2003, 02:17 PM
The TD crank is the hard to find part! Its forged just like on the ///M cars, so it can take a lot of HP! Everything on the "I" head is better...intake, exhaust manifolds, valves, cam, TB...everything is so much bigger!

webbie
06-06-2003, 02:25 PM
If you know german.... read this, or translate it if you need to.

http://www.e30.de/motor/m20/m20.htm

It's a really great article on building 2,7l engines. According to this, if you use the Eta block with I head, you'll get a compression rate of about 8,9:1.

You don't need to use Td crank unless you're aim is at least 400-500bhp. The Eta crank will do just fine.

boosted325
06-06-2003, 06:30 PM
i am aiming for 400-450bhp.. so mu search for the TD crank will begin, i asume the same place that has the 3 TD exhaust manifolds for sale has the cranks also

boosted325
06-06-2003, 06:33 PM
well i found a few places in america that actually has the entire TD engine, however none that only had the crank... that is not a cheap motor to buy jus for the crank... i found one that said its a bad motor and they said call for the price.. so i asume its gonna be cheaper than the cheapest listed price, and that was $895...

89325i
06-06-2003, 08:47 PM
One of main things with the ETA, and putting a turbo on it is it doesn't rev high. So you should see were you can get a chip burnt to raise the rev limiter, to 6500-7000 rpms with 2.7 liter conversion, and while your at it get it burnt to fit the fueling needs of the turbo. because to make 400-450hp you'll have to get a t3/t4 hybrid, or a complete t4, which takes longer to spool, and really come to life higher in the rpms. Which the 4500 rev limiter on the ETA can't do. On my 325i, im in the area of 300hp with turbo set up i have which is awesome. If its going to be a daily driver i wouldn't want to much power because you'll probably be spending more time tinkering with it then driving it. To make big hp definately get a tune, and make sure its detonation free.

boosted325
06-07-2003, 12:55 AM
well i was hopin to use a 2.5 ECU and have it chipped, or put Motec to use with the 6BTM i am gonna install when my motor is done, as of a daily driver, i have a 90 750IL which i recently aquired from a BMW collector who was desperate to get rid of that along with a 735 which i didnt purchase.. those r not my only cars though, im jus sayin, i have more than enough ways to get around town

89325i
06-07-2003, 02:37 AM
How much money are you willing to spend for this project? If your willing to spend an easy 1000 + for a motec engine management system, you should have an exhaust manifold made, or go with proturbo's instead of the TD one. Heres some pictures of mine if you want to see were some things are placed. or if you got questions about things let me know.http://members.roadfly.com/89325i/turbo5.jpg http://members.roadfly.com/89325i/turbo4.jpg http://members.roadfly.com/89325i/turbo3.jpg http://members.roadfly.com/89325i/turbo10.jpg http://members.roadfly.com/89325i/http://members.roadfly.com/89325i/ http://members.roadfly.com/89325i/IM001189.JPG http://members.roadfly.com/89325i/IM001190.JPG

boosted325
06-07-2003, 01:54 PM
well wanting to spend 1000+ on motec is the reason i cant have a manifold custom made, however where would i find a proturbo manifold and for how much??

The Sly
06-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Check E30sport.net..

There is a guy that can get them for us..

Do a search in the Tech section....