PDA

View Full Version : Fellow BMW Bastard

CP6NJA (Alek)
06-02-2003, 01:38 PM
Get this, I have been having some problems with my 328's battery, and I went to the mall to pick up my girl, and when I get back to my car, it won't start, and I see that right beside me on my left side, a guy is getting into his bimmer (e46) and so I ask him if he can give me a hand by giving me a boost. ANd he tells me, sorry man, I just got a boost, and drives off with his wifey. I felt so horrible. Uhhhhggrrrr.

And then my girl asks me how come I tell her all the time that BMW people stick together when in fact that guy just bitch slapped me.

HOrrible, just horrible.

And in the end, an Afghani guy helped me out with his mini van. *wave*

EricE330ci
06-02-2003, 01:48 PM
Prick!!! *uzi* *uzi*
The guy should have helped you.

What goes around comes around

Polish
06-02-2003, 02:11 PM
yeah thats pretty shit, anyhow, seeing how the batteries in the back, the boost has to be set up with the + and - in the front, where the batter normally is in everycar??

cause im kinda unsure how to boost it, but im guessing you boost if from the + - slots in the front of the car, since it would be impossbile to boost from the back:D

am i right?:huh?:

crusher
06-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Hey man sorry to hear that, if any bmw gets stranded and needed a boast i'll definately help out in anyway. Fellow BMW stick together!!!

KennyTheGreat
06-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by crusher
Hey man sorry to hear that, if any bmw gets stranded and needed a boast i'll definately help out in anyway. Fellow BMW stick together!!!

Fellow European cars ;) :P

MP328
06-02-2003, 04:31 PM
sorry man but i'm with the other guy. i wouldn't have given u a boost either and would never do it for anyone.

it ****s up your computer so no tnx. thats the last thing i need.

M50E30
06-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by MP328
sorry man but i'm with the other guy. i wouldn't have given u a boost either and would never do it for anyone.

it ****s up your computer so no tnx. thats the last thing i need.

How does it screw up your computer? I can see if you did it wrong and fried your alternator?!?!
:confused:

crusher
06-02-2003, 07:14 PM
could you enlighten us on how it's going to screw up our computer if we give boost? If i disconnect my battery and let him jump from there, i don't think that will f*c my computer will it?

AndreNY
06-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by M50E30
How does it screw up your computer? I can see if you did it wrong and fried your alternator?!?!
:confused:

it will cause a check engine, and you can possible damage the wiring setu-up towards the computer. NEVER EVER boost a car if you are a E46 owner, or a owner of a new Mercedes Vw Audi.... YOu will have problems, these cars have way too many sensors and electrical pieces, which you can mess up. So alex, i know it was wrong but in a way its good for him that he didint give u a boost

EstorilM3
06-02-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by AndreNY
it will cause a check engine, and you can possible damage the wiring setu-up towards the computer. NEVER EVER boost a car if you are a E46 owner, or a owner of a new Mercedes Vw Audi.... YOu will have problems, these cars have way too many sensors and electrical pieces, which you can mess up. So alex, i know it was wrong but in a way its good for him that he didint give u a boost

I've heard that as well!
Anyone want to chance it???

SickFinga
06-02-2003, 07:34 PM
AndreNY, I think you are wrong
what boosting does it just providing power from different battery without removing it

Ahctuning
06-02-2003, 07:34 PM
There's nothing wrong giving/receiving a boost if done properly.

Are you guys saying the boosting instruction in car manual is BS??? Who's the bigger BS?

EstorilM3
06-02-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Ahctuning
There's nothing wrong giving/receiving a boost if done properly.

Are you guys saying the boosting instruction in car manual is BS??? Who's the bigger BS?

My 1998 Honda Prelude Manual said something to the effect that giving someone boost (NOT having your own car boosted) WILL cause damage to the engine management system.

I don't have the BMW Manual with me...can anyone look it up and confirm that it's OK, and won't cause damage?

SickFinga
06-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by EstorilM3
My 1998 Honda Prelude Manual said something to the effect that giving someone boost (NOT having your own car boosted) WILL cause damage to the engine management system.

I don't have the BMW Manual with me...can anyone look it up and confirm that it's OK, and won't cause damage?

scan it and prove it.
sounds very wierd to me

AndreNY
06-02-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
AndreNY, I think you are wrong
what boosting does it just providing power from different battery without removing it

yes tru but not on the NEW cars 2000+ i can bet my life on it, sicne i work in a shop where we fix german cars, and all the new cars cannot go throught that. You can boost teh car with a Booster Pac, but not with the wires, i know sounds stupid but it;s a fact

EstorilM3
06-02-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
scan it and prove it.
sounds very wierd to me

I don't have the car nor the Manual any more - got rid of the junk!!!

I'm serious, there is something to frying the electronics in modern day cars by giving someone a boost.

I don't think I would want to chance it, since computers cost more than some used cars.

I would rather jump into the dead car, and call CAA for help than try to use my BMW to boost the car.

M3ti Compact
06-02-2003, 08:28 PM
Possibly the guy didn't have cables??

Anyways, i've boosted the BMW with a 2003 Sienna...no problems with the Sienna or the BMW.

Just make sure the booster car is ON so you don't drain the battery while boosting.

I don't see how giving someone a boost can damage the computer either. At worst, it would be just as bad as disconnecting the battery. Shouldn't it??? All you are doing is putting a little more drain on the booster car's battery during the boost. And the battery is built for that.

bmwwade
06-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Sith
yeah thats pretty shit, anyhow, seeing how the batteries in the back, the boost has to be set up with the + and - in the front, where the batter normally is in everycar??

cause im kinda unsure how to boost it, but im guessing you boost if from the + - slots in the front of the car, since it would be impossbile to boost from the back:D

am i right?:huh?:

Boost connections are under the hood near the firewall on the right hand side. No reason to connect to battery unless you cant reach the ones under the hood.

ZiMMie
06-02-2003, 09:57 PM
i think that BS. once my battery go drain from wiring my stereo. i got a boast from a freinds sister who drives a 2000 BMW 323i nothin happen to her car up till today plus my car has never died again. so i dont know wat type of drugs u guyz on. wat crack is not cheap no more?? lol jk

CP6NJA (Alek)
06-02-2003, 11:55 PM
I guess sometimes the car ****kz up, and sometimes not, but I guess if you do it to many times, it may hapen to get an electrical problem.

But you know what, if he really didn't want to do it, even though I was showing him that I had the cables and everything, he didn't have to say, oh, I just go a boost, sorry. he could have just said, you know what, this can happen to my car, and because we have the same ones, you know what I mean, and he could have just said to find someone with an older car cause he didn't want to risk his.

I would have been better off with that excuse.

Its like me asking a girl out and she says, no, I am washing my hair that night, for fuk sakes, just say, sorry, no not interested.

Soldo
06-02-2003, 11:57 PM
VERY GOOD point, i couldn't agree more!
i mean, he didn't have to say he JUST got a boost, cause you and i BOTH know, thats OBVIOUS BULLSHIT!
i agree he should have tyaken another approach, because the one he took made him out to be an ASSHOLE (and i typical sterotype of a guy who drives a BMW)

dingz913
06-03-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by EstorilM3
I don't have the car nor the Manual any more - got rid of the junk!!!

I'm serious, there is something to frying the electronics in modern day cars by giving someone a boost.

I don't think I would want to chance it, since computers cost more than some used cars.

I would rather jump into the dead car, and call CAA for help than try to use my BMW to boost the car.

:huh?: :huh?:
BOoSTING CAR does not affect ur computer at all! believe me ..i've had personal experience after boosting my car and the engine light came on..so iwas freaked out and took it to teh dealer....they told me if u have the wires connected correctly..the WORST CASE is...a engine mis-fire...and the engine warning light will go away after u drive it for a while!....so don't be PARANOID....

sonic07
06-03-2003, 04:42 AM
what a shit head to come up with that excuse .... was he a caucasian european ?
i give boost to anybody with any trouble cars at anywhere at anytime when i see one. just to make sure i don't blow out any computer i shut off my engine before boosting the other car. i even help out tow a couple cars last winter a honda accord that die without any reason and hyundai that was stuck on the snow.

djcontra
06-03-2003, 11:52 AM
I don't believe boosting your bmw will cause any problems.
I boosted my 325i all winter while it was sitting before I took it out for it's bi-weekly drive.
No problems at all with the computer or anything.

That guy's a jerk for not helping, and LYING about getting a boost to begin with (i really doubt he did just get one). I can understand if somebody doesn't have cables, but just SAY that! :)

MACI4LIFE
06-03-2003, 07:16 PM
I know that they do use a special booster at the BMW dealerships for the new 7 series, but the rest are ok still.

So if i had a 7 then i'd be more worried but, if you do it right then you should be ok.

Dave 325i
06-03-2003, 08:13 PM
I don't believe it either. Back when my E30 was still around and it had a current drain problem, I boosted it with my mom's 2000 E46 all the time.

Neither car has DME problems.

Uh, what do you think CAA does ... ?

I do know that you're supposed to turn on the power consumers in the dead car to dampen the voltage and current surge though. I've heard of ABS units in E30s being blown when they were the dead car.

Plus not very many people know how to boost a car in the first place ...

Ahctuning
06-03-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by MACI4LIFE
I know that they do use a special booster at the BMW dealerships for the new 7 series, but the rest are ok still.

So if i had a 7 then i'd be more worried but, if you do it right then you should be ok.

What's so special about the new 7 that it needs a special booster.