PDA

View Full Version : Just installed Eibach Swaybars

thinair
06-01-2003, 09:29 PM
I finally got around to installing these.

The front install was the easiest thing to do in the world, 6 nuts and the bar is off, the wheels don't even need to come off.

The rear bar on the other hand was sorta hard. I had to drop the exhaust a little, remove the wheels, unbolt the struts to let the wheels sag a little more. After some bloodly knuckles I got the thing installed. It's really tight with the driveaxles, suspension components and exhaust in the way.

I installed the front bar on the least stiff setting and the rear bar on the stiffest setting.

I went to the local cloverleaf hwy on/offramp for some high speed right turns, the car doesn't understeer and speed anymore, and there isn't any oversteer either (unless it's throttle induced). The car feels pretty neutral.

I haven't done any low speed hard cornering just because I don't feel like spinning out into a curb or getting a careless ticket, so I guess I'll find out at the next auto-x.

Also, the cars body roll was reduced slightly, but then again my car didn't really have all the much roll before.

BMW_M52_M20
06-01-2003, 10:09 PM
Congrats, I have M3 sway bars on mine and it made a fair difference on my car, but then again, I don't have springs/shocks....

Where did you get them from???

WASABI
06-01-2003, 11:10 PM
I guess you just put the car on jack-stands?

I haven't done mine yet. :( I'm hoping to do the shocks at the same time. I figured it may not have as much effect with stock shocks.

thinair
06-02-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Jays_Arctic323is
Where did you get them from???

I got them used from a fellow Max member.

Originally posted by WASABI
I guess you just put the car on jack-stands?

I haven't done mine yet. :( I'm hoping to do the shocks at the same time. I figured it may not have as much effect with stock shocks.

yep, just jack-stands, there is more then enough room to do it with the car like 14-16" in the air.

And don't install them without changing to some stiffer shocks/springs. First it'll really strain the swaybar bushing mounts, and you'll get some really wierd handing.

BTW, give yourself like twice the amount of time you think you'll need for the rears.

djcontra
06-02-2003, 12:35 PM
so they make a big difference eh?
I wasn't going to even think about putting on sways on my car because the bimmer already has sways from the factory. I usually only put sways on a car that didn't come with them, but if you say it made a nice difference, maybe you'll need to take me out for a spin in the car so I can see what's improved. *th-up*

thinair
06-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
so they make a big difference eh?
I wasn't going to even think about putting on sways on my car because the bimmer already has sways from the factory. I usually only put sways on a car that didn't come with them, but if you say it made a nice difference, maybe you'll need to take me out for a spin in the car so I can see what's improved. *th-up*

Not an extraordinary difference, if you were to drive my car and I told you the sways were stock, you'd probably believe me. So far it's been mostly noticable because to reduction/elimination of understeer, depending on the speed of the car or quickness of the turn-in.

I've seen video of my car at auto-x's and there wasn't that much body roll before.

KIRASIR
06-02-2003, 11:38 PM
Put it at stiff/stiff and try to take a highway ramp, you'll definitely see a difference.

SL

Originally posted by thinair
Not an extraordinary difference, if you were to drive my car and I told you the sways were stock, you'd probably believe me. So far it's been mostly noticable because to reduction/elimination of understeer, depending on the speed of the car or quickness of the turn-in.

I've seen video of my car at auto-x's and there wasn't that much body roll before.

thinair
06-03-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Put it at stiff/stiff and try to take a highway ramp, you'll definitely see a difference.

SL

Yeah, I'd be understeering again.:(

Miguel
06-03-2003, 01:42 AM
Is there any diff. between Eibach sways and say.. Dinan or Hartge sways?

All I know is to avoid Racing dynamics Sways.. apparently the RD "badge" is just a sticker that you have to put on the bars and they are made out of the same stuff as ractive bars...

KIRASIR
06-03-2003, 02:37 AM
You need to cut off that trunk of yours. :D

Originally posted by thinair
Yeah, I'd be understeering again.:(

bmwwade
06-08-2003, 03:48 PM
sways made by diff companys are diff diameteres. They only vary by a couple millimeters. They all are thicker than stock.

thinair
06-12-2003, 08:20 PM
After getting in some more driving time on these swaybars, especially in the rain, I've noticed that I love them even more then when I first got them, but when the rear end brakes loose (throttle induced) it flys out a little quicker then before. It was something I was expecting, so I'm not all that worried.

I guess if I'm planning to do anymore auto-x's in the rain I'll have to soften the rear swaybar up a little. That said, even in the rain the car is pretty neutral, at it's limit there isn't really any over/understeer. Although if I steer really quick I'll obviously get some understeer and if I gas it I'll get some oversteer.